Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trup

Regarding the water only/no wash regimens

I posted this at the end of another thread, but figured I'd post it here, since these tend to pop up frequently. Even though I explain it in the piece, this is from a 5 year acne sufferer. Who before any treatment (age 16-17 is probably when i started using chemicals on a heavy regimen like basis) had mild-moderate acne. Good amount of pimples at any given time, blackheads, pastules, that kind of thing. I guess if you just imagined the average teenager who kids would consider to have acne, that was me. Also, if it's worth noting, one side of my family almost everyone had acne, so I would guess there's some genetics in there. Only one of them as an adult I've ever seen with acne, and it was only ever one pimple at a time very rarely.

Anyways, heres the post :

I've had acne since I was in about 8th grade... so that's uh... 13 years old? I had it pretty bad, never tons of cysts or anything, but a pretty large amount of white heads and blackheads (just on my nose for blackheads)/ and red bumps (pastules I think) all my life since then. I am currently 18 and about to graduate high school. I'm going to be honest, I do not remember what I did for the beginning of my acne. I know I always showered and thus washed my face daily. About 1-2 years ago I started using medications and stuff. Harsh washes broke me out horribly, and so after surfing the internet for help found the regimen, and was on that for a while.

Washed face with cetaphil two times a day, applied BP on actual acne sites in the morning, and all over my face at night. While on the regimen, i noticed a few things. Firstly as I believe everyone notices, your skin feels a bit wierd, especially with BP on it. I believe it was slightly discoloured, nothing you'd notice, but not as healthy a tone as without it. My acne was pretty good I guess with BP on the regimen. I perhaps had 2-3 pimples at any given time, rarely getting whiteheads after an initial pop, but having a lingering bump for some time. They took a while to heal and tended to be kinda big everytime, not many small ones ever at all.

I have been off any regimen of washing what-so-ever since may first. That puts today (tuesday may 22nd) at exactly my third week being concluded without doing anything. I shower and let my face get wet once every two days, sometimes longer. I find that the length isn't all that important. I personally don't get smelly easily, and if I get sweaty or worn out I just splash some water on my face. At first I definitly broke out, that was obvious. After about a week I noticed I was breaking out more than without BP (not a whole lot more, maybe 200% of what i was on the strict regimen, which means maybe 6 active pimples). However, these pimples were much smaller, sometimes just sliding a fingernail over them would take the whitehead right off, and leave the pimple pretty much completely gone. It's continued like this since then, slowly getting better over time, with breakouts becoming rarer each week.

I'm looking in a mirror right now, and at the end of my third week, I currently have two small white heads on my upper lip, one on my temple, and one on my cheek. They are easily popable if I wanted to, but seeing as I'm going to sleep soon I see no reason to not let them go on their way for now. As far as blackheads go, I have a small amount of tiny clogged pores on my nose, but you can't notice them unless you get really close up. It's also worth noting I had a pretty heavy workout today (not an actual gym quality work out, just from yard stuff), so some may be caused be that. I probably have about 1-2 more pimples at the 3 week end mark then I did when I was on BP (had been on bp for about 4-5 months), but they are much easier to manage, and they go away faster it seems. Also, my skin just looks and feels healthier.

Overall, I would say life is alot eaiser and less worrysome like this. I don't lead an incredibly healthy life/diet, although I reccomend it obviously. I can only assume as the weeks go by, my skin will improve, I find it incredibly unlikely it will just get worst, but you never know.

As far as specifics go. Like I said, that's my favourite part, I don't have any. I shower when I feel I need a shower, just not everyday. I wash my face with water if it gets dirty. However, I would like to stress the notion of not washing your face just because it feels oily. The oil seems to disappear if you don't wash your face daily. The skin adjusts... or maybe it just feels/looks like it's adjusted. But none the less, it doesn't look oily at all, an

d I assume that's what most people care about.

I hope this helps, if it does, I'll update again at the end of the 4 or 5 week mark.

I'm glad other people are dropping topicals too. I had horrible acne last summer. I had used topicals for a few years and they didn't help much. I finally realized I needed to try a totally different way to get rid of acne. I was nervous at first and I was afraid I'd have to use topicals my whole life!! When I first stopped everything I broke out bad the first 2 months but then I started steaming and soaking my face in hot water. The heat really seemed to speed up the healing and clearing of my skin. Then I started using apple cidar vinegar on my face and that has helped so much too. Now months later my skin looks great. I don't get any large painful bumps anymore and my skin isn't all red and gross anymore and I even look younger and healthier now!! My skin has improved 150%!! I will never use any acne product on my face again!!! I agree that all that stuff is bad for our skin and probably the cause of acne for 90% of the people on here!!!!

Trup, this is interesting, I found the samething, my skin 'adjusts' itself when I don't use medicated washes.

My problem was oily, shiny and greasy breakout zones, on my nose, forehead and chin mainly. I tried Clearasil which reduced the oiliness for a few hours then it became more oily than before. I tried OTC stuff, like Neutragena, Oxyclean and other topicals, religiously, but, again, it just made my face more oily than before. :wacko:

My derm told me to try without medicated stuff and use warm clean water instead, to relax the pores and allow it to slow down oil secretion. Kinda like, if your skin feels hydrated, your pores pumps out less oil or something.

It felt really wierd just using water, maybe its psychological, but I didn't feel clean?? In my head, soapy feeling = clean, like washing clothes without powder, know what I mean? :wall: So I started looking online for a water based alternative and found Skinvac which only uses water but still feels clean.

Steaming is a little too strong for me, the skin on the tip of my nose peels off.

I also use Pore Gripper to clear out pores, because when I touch it with my finger nail, it gets gunky. I guess I am more sensitive to bacteria. I need to wash out the sink to make sure its clean before washing my face.

My aunt that swears by cider vinegar, she even gives it to her pets............., will try adding a spoonful for washing to see if it helps. Thanks for the tip Melodie. :angel:

Its only been a few months, but fingers crossed, the oiliness is a lot less.

3 days after last update, just updating cause i'm A. bored and B. figure it's relevant.

currently have red bumps ect., the kind you get from past acne. I have one tiny pimple on my nose which is so small i don't even think i can pop it. Another insanely tiny one on my cheek, and one like a half an inch to the side of my mouth. All previous ones from 3 days ago have pretty much completely faded away naturally. Healing process seems ALOT faster assuming they keep healing at that rate. The only pimple i would consider eeven big enough to be noticable is the one to the side of my mouth... the other two or so are so small that i believe they will practically be gone by morning. I don't consider this for my skin to be amazing, as i'm sure I haven't been on it long enough to consider this being me almost completely clear, rather my skin is just doing nice today.

I just wash my face with water, and on shaving days, i just gently shave, use apple vinegar after and then some aloe vera.

Atm my skin is virtually 100% clear, before when i used cleansers and bp, my skin had dozens of pimples and dozens of blackheads.

I personally think skin products worsen any condition, or they make a slight improvement however your skin never improves and you end up using the products for years and years.

I've been on this regimen for a couple of weeks now. Nothing but water. My skin hasn't completely cleared, but my breakouts are reduced.

Simply put, my acne was much worse when I was using acne products. The reason behind this is because of the endless number of chemicals and whatnot that go into acne products are harmful to our skin. They destroy the natural skin structures and disrupt our normal skin balance. pH may be affected etc etc.

Our skin reacts with breakouts. Also, the health of the skin is deprived and hence our face will look unhealthy and dull and can't deal well with breakouts.

I might just add some ACV or something to help get rid of red marks and use as an antibacterial.

It works very very well guys. H20 is the answer. Try it.

daanzel, you seem pretty knowledgable about this. So, I've been pretty worried that becuase I've been using acne products on my face for a long time (probably 3-4 years), differin or a pad perscription medication for about 2-3, and BP for about 8 months or so. I can clearly see my skin doing better now, but what I'm worried about is that the chemicals have already done the damage to my skin, and it won't be able to heal as well anymore. I know this is probably unlikely, but I can never stop being the worrier that I am. If anyone has any information on this it would be much appreciated.

if you really think about it, it makes perfect sense that acne products dont work. why would a company make a product for someone that after just a couple uses, their problem is gone and there is no need for the product anymore. its bad for business=they would lose money not selling the products. im not saying that is their intentions but in the long run they dont want your skin to reach perfection because they need you to keep buying their products. so its basically a never ending cycle if you do.

i wouldn't go so far to say this is a capitalist scandal like thing at all, rather that they do help, but can damage the skin in the long run

Update, week 4.

two really really small whiteheads on lower chin like area, could easily be popped and be pretty much invisible if popped (but as I'm home alone right now ect., I see no reason to). I have one small one on my upper cheek, which even if popped would most likely leave a red mark for a day or two. One really small pimple right under my nose, most likely from shaving after having not for a week or two. Skin really seems to be improving, blackheads go down and down, no longer any on anything but my nose as well. I must say I'm really happy with my results. I still stay on a habit of washing only about every 2-4 days. I don't mess with my face much at all, just go about my life and try to not let it get to me. I would say that it's definitly getting better every week, and there is no fuss at all over my skin (which I now believe looks much healthier).

i have a few questions:

1. after you drop the acne medications and all that crap, and just start with the warm water regimine, does your skin just get worse for a little while and then start gradually getting better after its gotten worse?

2. if that's a yes, then how long does it take for it to start getting better?

3. and if i wear foundation, will warm water really clean all of the makeup off and clean out my pores as well?

i really doubt it would.

what i need is a really really natural face makeup cleanser (if thats even possible) with only a few ingredients.

right now, the most natural cleasner i have is dove essential nutrients foam cleanser, no acids or peroxides. it just says that it's main ingredients are vitamins, pure spring water, and green tea extract, but it's got like 900 other ingredients too. it's also noncomodogenic.

so if i used this first to clean off all my makeup, should i still do the warm water thing after?

1. after you drop the acne medications and all that crap, and just start with the warm water regimine, does your skin just get worse for a little while and then start gradually getting better after its gotten worse?

Firstly, I don't use warm water, I don't wash my face unless I feel dirty for a specific reason, and I stress the fact that you don't wash it just because it feels oily, as the noticable amount of oil/amount I feel on my face has greatly gone down because of this regimen. Before I thought I had really oily skin naturally, I'm alot of Italian, and it seems pretty common for italians to often have oily skin. However, because of my less frequent washing my face feels/looks well... not oily at all. Also, I use normally room temp - cold water. It just seems more natural and thus more befitting for this "regimen" to me. What I do now for face washing (out of the shower) is just if it feels dirty, and I splash water on my face for about 10-20 seconds in the shower, usually just putting my face under the shower head as it's not very strong. If you did have a strong shower head, I reccomend cupping the water into your hands first to avoid irritation.

My skin did get a little worst. I wouldn't call it really bad at all, but it was definitly a bit worst than when i was on a heavy BP regimen. It got progressively better over time... I can't tell you how specific till it's "better" because I am not completely clear. Currently I have one whitehead and a few red marks from semi-recent pimples, mostly just one other bump on my upper cheek. I would say by week 3 or so you should be pretty good, as in the start of week 3.

I guess about 2-4 weeks? Once again, I'm not completely clear. I would consider my skin to have returned to pretty normal for a teenager. Minor blackheads on my nose and not many. One pimple and one red mark from a past one on my upper cheek.

3. and if i wear foundation,sp will warm water really clean all of the makeup off and clean out my pores as well?

I really can't help you on this being a male who doesn't wear makeup. I do not think warm water would clean out pores from makeup use. I would advice not using makeup, but obviously that's not a good reccomendation since you probably want to use makeup. You might want to use an insanely mild soap to help with that. I did hear one girl say that she used this regimen to success once, and just left her makeup on her face. Not being somone whoese tested it on themselves though, I can't give that the OK from personal experiance. You would probably have to test it on yourself unfortunatley, and since results take time, it would be tricky. If I were you though, I would go with very light/natural makeup, and just try washing it off with water, and seeing how that works.

i have a few questions:

3. and if i wear foundation,sp will warm water really clean all of the makeup off and clean out my pores as well?

i really doubt it would.

what i need is a really really natural face makeup cleanser (if thats even possible) with only a few ingredients.

right now, the most natural cleasner i have is dove essential nutrients foam cleanser, no acids or peroxides. it just says that it's main ingredients are vitamins, pure spring water, and green tea extract, but it's got like 900 other ingredients too. it's also noncomodogenic.

so if i used this first to clean off all my makeup, should i still do the warm water thing after?

Update, the day before week 5 starts I believe.

I have only one active pimple currently, and it's very small, which I consider to be very good for my skin. However, over the course of the week I did have a breakout of about 3-4 average sized pimples to the side of my mouth, I would consider this the worst breakout since I got off BP ect. However, it only lasted about 2 days, today is the third day since i got it, and just the redmark from one is still visible.

Very pleased with the results so far then. I'll keep updating

you need SOME kind of mild (non-medicated) cleanser to get rid of the dead oily skin flakes especially on the forehead

i tried a water-only treatment for about 3 months and i had very few breakouts (a few inflammed ones on my t-zone) but even blasting with hot shower water couldn't get the layers of dead skin on my face off

you need SOME kind of mild (non-medicated) cleanser to get rid of the dead oily skin flakes especially on the forehead

i tried a water-only treatment for about 3 months and i had very few breakouts (a few inflammed ones on my t-zone) but even blasting with hot shower water couldn't get the layers of dead skin on my face off

Im Still not personally sure on what my skin type is, i have tryed many different types of regims and have had different results. Currently im using Cetaphil for morning and night cleanse, then i have a 2% salyic acid clearisel pad that i use for 2 - 3 times a week. After that

i apply Jojoba Oil, and take Fish Oil Daily. I find these things really help with the oilyness and the jojoba helps make it easier to cleanse the pores thoroughly.

HEY trup when you quit all products did you have flakes and if so did they just disappear on their own or how did you deal w/ them?

I did/do get small little flakes on my skin on occasion. I usually lightly brush them with my hands (making sure they're clean). Sometimes a tiny few stick around, but they tend to go away pretty quickly for me when I start my day.

I tried this regimen the day before yesterday, and am completely clear!! OMG it works! U know how much money we could all save if this worked for everyone! Another thing is when your done rinsing your face let it air dry, DO NOT use a towel.

I did/do get small little flakes on my skin on occasion. I usually lightly brush them with my hands (making sure they're clean). Sometimes a tiny few stick around, but they tend to go away pretty quickly for me when I start my day.

Well, i found this by coincidence..so..now..after 2 years..if u are still on the line..Trup..some update pls:D..or maybe u haven't updated because u got better? :D..i would be really happy to hear this from you

The reason i am not trying this is because for awhile all i would do is wash my face with a very gentle cleanser... acne did get worse (like yours) but i really dont think it would work for me. My acne is different than yours.. whiteheads on forehead, and some other small pimples sometimes. I notice when my face gets oily (skipped washing face or whatev) i breakout. So yeah...