Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
illiterate

BHA and BP at the same time?

Hi all. I'm a long time reader of the boards. I have had acne on and off for the past eight years. For my first three years of college, it was almost under control using only Neutrogena's Oil Free Ane Wash and whatever moisturizer I had handy. However, ever since I had a bad breakup last September, I have had moderate acne on my cheeks and temples. Since September, I've tried the DKR, water soak method, and the do-nothing method, but I found that they only made my acne grow deeper. I've been on my current regimen for about 10 weeks now. It is as follows:

Cetaphil Cleanser

Neutrogena Deep Clean Gentle Scrub

Cetaphil Moisturizer

So far my cheeks have improved a lot. I had large papules and several nodules, but now they are smaller and less frequent. Red marks are all over the place, but I know these take even more time to heal. I still have random breakouts though.

I tried Dan's regimen for 3 months, but my acne did not get any better. I stopped using it because I did not like how it made my skin and clothes look. I never thought to use BP for spot-treatment though.

So I was wondering if it would be a good idea to add in BP as a spot treatment along with my current regimen, or do you think I should just leave it as it is?

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't see the BHA in that regimen, thus I am confused about what you are asking. Personally, if the DKR didn't help your acne, then I don't see why BP as a spot treatment really would.

I know I've used BP with a BHA cleanser before and it was not good. My acne actually got a bit worse, in fact, and my skin was much more irritated. I would try a leave-on BHA product like Paula's Choice and see how that works for you. If the Neutrogena SA cleanser helped, then Paula's Choice BHA should do wonders for you.

But again, I am confused about your current regimen, so correct me if I am not getting something right.

I don't see the BHA in that regimen, thus I am confused about what you are asking. Personally, if the DKR didn't help your acne, then I don't see why BP as a spot treatment really would.

I know I've used BP with a BHA cleanser before and it was not good. My acne actually got a bit worse, in fact, and my skin was much more irritated. I would try a leave-on BHA product like Paula's Choice and see how that works for you. If the Neutrogena SA cleanser helped, then Paula's Choice BHA should do wonders for you.

But again, I am confused about your current regimen, so correct me if I am not getting something right.

Thanks for the input. If I'm not mistaken, SA is a BHA, and my scrub contains that ingredient.

Yeah, I think that scrub has BHA in it. Spot-treating alone is not particularly irritating (of course, in my experience also not particularly effective), and I think you'd be fine doing that regardless of using BHA simultaneously or not. The irritation from using both at the same time comes more from using them over large areas of your skin.

Thanks for the input. If I'm not mistaken, SA is a BHA, and my scrub contains that ingredient.

Really? I thought it didn't... Either way, if it does have SA, you're probably better off going with a gentle cleanser and a leave-on BHA product like I said. I think you'll find it much more effective. You can try spot treating with BP at the same time, but like Kim said, I haven't found that to be very effective, and if you don't either, then you might as well not. Good luck!

EDIT: oh I guess that scrub does have SA. Wierd... I used that once and I had no idea. oh well.

There absolutely no problem in using BHA and BP at the same time because they do different things but remeber not to over does neither one of them which will turn out to "overdry" or "irritate" the skin which will lead to more breakouts.