Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ok, so my hubby was at this la-dee-dah dinner recently and was introduced to this doctor. through his convo with a couple of other people, he discovered that this doctor used to be a personal derm to a former president and lots of people high up in the political world. so, my hubby, being the sweetheart that he is, got this guy alone and picked (pardon the pun) his brain a bit about acne. He said that it is usually hormonal (which we all know) and recommended that I do this...

*use azeliac acid 20% to help fade marks and scarring (adam will be happy! ;) )

*take a dong quai tonic once a day for 3 weeks, then stop for 3 weeks, then start again for another 3 weeks.

this doc is Chinese American, and said he's seen great results using dong quai (a root used in chinese medicine to help balance hormones. its used for a number of women's issues, not sure about use for males though). he said to cook the dong quai with pork bones and make a soup. something about the calcium from the bones helping in some way. i live in hong kong, so i have easy access to dong quai, not sure if its hard to find elsewhere.

anyway, i'm giving it a shot. after swearing i won't bother with any more topicals, here i am yet again. i'm just finishing my first week. its hard to say how its going so far since i cheated on my diet very badly this weekend (choc cake, coffee with milk, toast) and broke out a little from that.

i've used retinols before and i do find this azelaic acid MUCH nicer to use. not drying at all and really does help with redness.

i'm going for an allergy test this afternoon too to see what comes up there!

yeah im sure he was a presidents derm. they all say that. like any white bred american president is gonna have a chinese doc who says take tonic? LOL LOL LOL

reminds me of the plastic surgeon i went to that said he was the best in NYC. he said he operated on presidents wives, etc. i found out he was on probation and the most sued doctor in the state.

do yourself a favor. and take some of the cash you were gonna plunk down on that root tonic and check out the doctor on one of those websites that shows his history of being sued or censured. it costs like 10 bucks.

what a cynical bunch lol.

this doc didn't tell my husband who he was, other people at the party did (who would have no real reason to lie). anyway, i'm not that naïve, i did do some research before starting and it does look like dong quai is very helpful with balancing women's hormones.

and azelaic acid looks like its worth a shot too. right adam??

btw, there are a lot of believers in traditional chinese medicine. a 5000 year old civilization must know a thing or two. ;)

btw, there are a lot of believers in traditional chinese medicine. a 5000 year old civilization must know a thing or two. ;)

All "top derms" have their own opinions on the best treatment for acne.

My mom's former dermatologist went on to become a Director at the Canadian Dermatology Association. He always told her that the best thing to do was to leave acne alone. Forget the expensive creams, acids, antibiotics. Most cases, except for really severe acne, will clear up on their own eventually if left alone. I've personally found that this is true. Right now all I use is a gentle non-medicated cleanser and moisturizer. Add a few Omega 3 and zinc supplements and I'm 99% clear. just dealing with very few remaining red marks. Don't know how much longer I'll stay clear but so far so good.

why leave it alone when it can be treated? that's stupid, if i would have left my acne alone i would still have acne. i didn't want it to clear "eventually" i wanted it to clear as quickly as possible.

yeah everyone at la de dah dinners is telling the truth. ever hear of the game telephone?

he was probably the president of some dumb derm organization.

why leave it alone when it can be treated? that's stupid, if i would have left my acne alone i would still have acne. i didn't want it to clear "eventually" i wanted it to clear as quickly as possible.

Sounds interesting. Maybe because I'm Asian. Haha.

I'd like to know. Where are you going to buy the dong quai?

Where do you get Dong Quai from?? Do they make it in tea form? Then I could drink it right before, during and right afte rmy period...

Where do you get Dong Quai from?? Do they make it in tea form? Then I could drink it right before, during and right afte rmy period...

i live in Hong Kong, so its easy for me to find. Most cities have a chinatown, probably can find it there.

i've been doing this regimen for 2 weeks, and my cysts are FINALLY going down. maybe there is something to this? :shrug:

i live in Hong Kong, so its easy for me to find. Most cities have a chinatown, probably can find it there.

i've been doing this regimen for 2 weeks, and my cysts are FINALLY going down. maybe there is something to this? :shrug: