Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NdnRomeo

Write out what you eat daily, helps give ideas to others

I'm having trouble finding cheap, healthy food alternatives. I want to avoid gluten all together and am running into trouble.

Please write out things you eat on a daily basis, I want to stock up. Meal ideas would be best. :pray:

6-dried fruit usually dried apple

7.30-breakfast usually lentils or bean mix with tuna and veg.

10.30-protein shake with some fruit blended in. (generally some of those cheap $3 frozen berry mixes.

1pm-chicken or fish with some sweet potato or parsnip and some greens.

3pm-same as 10.30

5pm-some dried fruit

7pm chicken, fish occasionally red meat with some veg.

i hear where your coming from, some variety would be awesome, currently i dont have much variety at all.

I avoid all grains and dairy.

i've got the same problem.... finding good recipes with no wheat, dairy or sugar. main meals are ok, but surely to goodness there have to be some decent baking using applesauce, oat flour etc.

i was thinking of starting a recipe exchange thread... whaddya think?

btw, my fave trick is to buy a roasted chicken in the grocery store. then i use it all week in salads. i buy the ready washed lettuce (earthbound organics herb salad is my fave), then i just add loads of stuff to it:

shredded carrots

canned beans (chickpeas, kidney etc.)

canned corn (or cut from a cooked cob)

red pepper

you can add anything really... using canned stuff makes it easier.... just chopping a few things. my absolute must haves are:

white onion

roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds

feta cheese (used to anyway, no more dairy for me)

i dunno why, but those things together are mighty tasty. :dance:

i also make a brown rice salad in the same way. just cook up some brown rice, let it cool and mix it with all these same things (with or without the lettuce) and toss it with a vinegarette. very nice!

i've got the same problem.... finding good recipes with no wheat, dairy or sugar. main meals are ok, but surely to goodness there have to be some decent baking using applesauce, oat flour etc.

i was thinking of starting a recipe exchange thread... whaddya think?

Yesterday:

Meal 1: 1000 calorie weight gainer

Meal 2: Veal Parmagan, Noodles, Peas, 1 Quart of Milk

Meal 3: McDonald's Chicken Nugget Combo w/ Fries, Drink

Meal 4: Popeyes 3 Piece Chicken Combo w/ biscuit, Mashed Potatoes, Drink

Meal 5: Whey Protein Shake

Case closed.

:ninja:

If you are avoiding gluten it is nice to get some more calories from eating meat. Before I went Paleo, I still had tried to avoid wheat and corn and my other food allergies for a while, so I ate more meat to get the calories.

I know that you are not trying to eat Paleo, but this site has lots of recipes for all different things that don't contain gluten.

http://paleofood.com/

We do have tons of these threads.

Buy vegetables - they're cheap.

Buy (or make) some hummus to dip carrots, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, raddishes in.

Make big salads and put chicken and feta on them

Fruit is generally cheap, so is applesauce, yogurt, cottage cheese - if you eat dairy.

We do have tons of these threads.

Buy vegetables - they're cheap.

Buy (or make) some hummus to dip carrots, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, raddishes in.

Make big salads and put chicken and feta on them

Fruit is generally cheap, so is applesauce, yogurt, cottage cheese - if you eat dairy.

Thank you all so much!

I appreciate the input.

For those of you who avoid milk, what do you supplement with to be sure you are not in deficit of anything? Just calcium supplements? Would that be efficient enough?

If you are avoiding gluten it is nice to get some more calories from eating meat. Before I went Paleo, I still had tried to avoid wheat and corn and my other food allergies for a while, so I ate more meat to get the calories.

I know that you are not trying to eat Paleo, but this site has lots of recipes for all different things that don't contain gluten.

On your weekly supermarket trip, buy some salmon and have them steam it for your dinner that night, and the next.

I eat lunch out most days, and eat what I want, usually making good choices (salmon, spinach enchiladas and black beans, tortilla (Mexican veggie soup) but occasionally treating myself to things like ravioli, or a gyro or burger.

I start with an apple, then have a homemade yogurt and blackberry or strawberry smoothie for breakfast. Unsweetened cocoa when I get to work. If your stores sell Goya products, they might have their fruit purees in the frozen food section. I break it up into chunks and thaw some for each morning, then all I have to do is stir it in. No blender to wash. Blackberries have almost as much of the same nutrients as blueberries and are usually cheaper and easier to come by. Especially since they might be a weed growing somewhere near you. I can't stand the toughened skin that blueberries get when frozen.

Occasionally I have eggs or peaches and cottage cheese.

For dinner, I usually have a mixed green or spinach salad. Sometimes with a hard boiled egg or sardines, especially if I haven't had salmon recently. Sometimes I have eggs.

I try to cook something to eat throughout the week like veggie soup or black beans. Or an Italian bean and kale soup, like the potato soup from Olive garden, but with white beans instead.

I also make small quesadillas with corn tortillas, Mexican cotija cheese and a ton of Cilantro.

Other things I try to eat daily are tomatoes and onions or garlic. I make a lot of soup with tomatoes. Or briefly bake roma tomato halves. Or layer tomato slices and spinach with a little parmesan or blue cheese and bake or put it on the grill in foil. And if I don't have one of those, I have a small glass of v-8. And I have a green onion or two with the quesadilla or salad if I didn't cook anything with garlic or onions.

Snack on red grapes, usually with seeds, raw nuts and pumpkin seeds with a few bittersweet (low sugar, dark) chocolate chips, strawberries.

Thank you all so much!

I appreciate the input.

For those of you who avoid milk, what do you supplement with to be sure you are not in deficit of anything? Just calcium supplements? Would that be efficient enough?

Great ideas on that website, I might as well follow the paleo diet, because most of my other foods now are listed in there :think:

http://paleofood.com/salads.htm

Haha, I'm actually gujarati too, it's funny to see they actually have that recipe, we eat that during meals sometimes.

I must say, fruits and vegetable are so cheap in relation to the foods people usually eat. Veggies like carrots and celery and dirt cheap, and fruits like apples and grapes too. They sell a bag of apples for about $3 and the grapes are like a buck a pound. Cool! Especially corn, pinto beans, stuff like that. :dance:

When I cook there's really only a few different things that I cook. I do eat out occasionally, and do splurge every now and then but when I eat at home I eat:

Egg whites

Oats

Brown Rice

Fish

Chicken Breast

Ground Turkey

Carrots

Asparagus

Apples

Beans

Water

Pretzels

That's about it I guess, kind of a small meal selection.

When I cook there's really only a few different things that I cook. I do eat out occasionally, and do splurge every now and then but when I eat at home I eat:

Egg whites

Oats

Brown Rice

Fish

Chicken Breast

Ground Turkey

Carrots

Asparagus

Apples

Beans

Water

Pretzels

Egg whites

Oats

Brown Rice

Fish

Chicken Breast

Ground Turkey

Carrots

Asparagus

Apples

Beans

Water

Pretzels

That sounds delicious. Do oats and brown rice have gluten?

Oats themselves don't have gluten, but because of the way they are grown, refined,enriched, and distributed they do often times contain gluten so it is best to avoid them if you don't want to eat gluten. Brown rice should not, but if it is enriched which many brands are, it is more likely to contain gluten.

Yesterday:

Meal 1: 1000 calorie weight gainer

Meal 2: Veal Parmagan, Noodles, Peas, 1 Quart of Milk

Meal 3: McDonald's Chicken Nugget Combo w/ Fries, Drink

Meal 4: Popeyes 3 Piece Chicken Combo w/ biscuit, Mashed Potatoes, Drink

Meal 5: Whey Protein Shake

Case closed.

:ninja:

Wide variety of whole fruit:

Frozen berries (blueberries, wild blueberries, raspberries, black berries)

apples

oranges/citrus

red grapes

bananas

cherries

precut fruit (because I'm busy at work and I end up throwing out spoiled fruit on Friday otherwise):

Strawberries

pineapple

cantaloupe

kiwi

watermelon

Vegetables:

Again, I use a party tray (canola oil based ranch, not soybean oil):

Broccoli

Carrots

celery

Salads that contain spinach, spring mix

bell peppers

garlic

mushrooms

Meat:

Lean cuts of chicken

Lean cuts of beef

Grains:

Tortillas based on oat fiber

German Wheat bread (multigrain, mostly wheat and rye)

High gluten flour (makes fantastic pizzas. Normal flour sucks)

Dairy:

Skim milk refined into creamy casein/whey drink. No fat, ~2 grams of carbs

High quality unsweetned skim yogurt with 6+ live cultures

High quality part-skim Monterey Jack and Parmesan cheeses (again, fantastic pizzas)

Oils:

DHA/EPA/CLA complex

canola

EVOO

Walnuts

Cashews

Peanuts/peanut butter

pumpkin seeds

Lots more but I'm lazy. Just eat all of this stuff:

http://whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

Minus the nonfermented soy.

Okay, so the pizza. Eating whole foods doesn't provide enough calories, especially on workout days. So rather than buy something loaded with soybean oil, enough salt to make you want to drink 2 gallons of water, or 10,000 shady ingredients, I make my own. I've gotten it to be better than any pizza I've had elsewhere.

It's pretty simple, and after you refine the process you can make delicious pizzas for $2.50 each in about 20 minutes (clean while you cook).

How I do it:

1. Dough is critical, and it is where most people fail. You must use high gluten flour, which isn't available in many grocery stores. If you cannot obtain high gluten flour, the pizza will suck. Don't bother. The reason is because high gluten flour is what makes pizza dough elastic, and it gives it the ability to be very thin. It's what pizza businesses use.

2. Follow this guide:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/thincrust.php

3. Use the high quality (expensive) cheeses. Kraft, Sargento, and store brands taste like crap and will burn before the crust is finished. Use Mozzarella, Monterey Jack, and Parmesan.

4. High quality toppings.

Why make it yourself:

1. It tastes better.

2. It's cheap.

3 You have control over the ingredients. High gluten flour, a pinch of salt, a pinch of sugar, EVOO, unsweetened tomato sauce vs the 10,000 things on a frozen pizza.

4. You can make it ultra thin to the point where it is near impossible to gain body fat from it.

These are the most typical things I eat...

B ~ scrambled eggs with cream cheese and V8 or scrambled eggs and chicken or turkey sausage

S ~celery w/ PB or piece of fruit

L ~ salad with lean meat

D ~ grilled chicken or fish, tacos with ground turkey, spaghetti w/ WW pasta and ground turkey meat sauce, roast and asian cole slaw. roasted chicken, rotisserie turkey breast

S ~ SF fudge/popsicles, SF pudding or jello

Legend thank you for writing all that out, it won't go to waste, I've already picked up some great suggestions from it. :clap: Thanks! I especially like the list on whole food's website, great stuff.