Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kelly_Chartier

Dan, I have a question

G'day,

I've been using Dan Kern's Regimen Cleanser & Gel - they work fantastically - for quite a while now, but durring the time I've used Dan's products there hasn't been a moisturizer by Dan availlable. Crap! So, I did a lot of experimenting with different moisturisers and found: Surprise! I am sensitive to moisturisers! I've tried St.Ive's Renewal Cream (which left my skin a bit irritated and itchy), Cetaphil (which was thick and gave me a bit of acne), Aveeno: Celar Complexion Daily Moisturizer (NEVER TRY IT! It was very expensive, was thick, and irritated my skin to a point of giving me bad acne), and I even ordered Lac-Hydrin Five online because it was not availlable in my town (and it made me itchy). I'm sure I used more moisturizers but I think I threw them out soon after use.

So, what do I do? Well, before using Dan's acne treatment products, I used Polysporin to try to improve my scarring. So, this time I used it as a moisturizer, and thank the heavens, it worked! The only problem I have with it is that it's thick and can build itself on my face if I use too much. But, I don't itch or get acne from it. (I specifically use cream Polysporin for burns now.)

So, Dan: Is my using Polysporin as a moisturizer a very bad thing? If so, I might not pay attention to what you say because it's the only thing that doesn't irritate my skin. But, I still want to know your response.

- Kelly Chartier

*mod edited title for clarity*

(Not Dan, sorry!)

I think you would be less likely to have problems (and you'd save money) by switching from polysporin to plain old Vaseline in a tub. What is making the polysporin moisturizing is the same thing that makes Vaseline moisturizing, but you wouldn't be using antibacterial medications all over your face to which acne bacteria might build up resistance. I personally think Vaseline/polysporin/neosporin is too thick and goopy to use all over my face, but you might use a very small amount of it at night. Complex 15 moisturizers are just about the gentlest, least greasy but decently hydrating moisturizers around, so you might give one of them a try (either get them off the internet or from a CVS store). You might give the Lac-Hydrin 5 a second chance, though, since a slight itching sensation from it is pretty normal and goes away after a short time, and it's superhydrating with some AHA to help improve your skin's appearance gradually, it would just take a little bit of time to adjust.

I don't know.

How's that for a bad answer? ;)

Thanks to Kim for her input though.

(Not Dan, sorry!)

I think you would be less likely to have problems (and you'd save money) by switching from polysporin to plain old Vaseline in a tub. What is making the polysporin moisturizing is the same thing that makes Vaseline moisturizing, but you wouldn't be using antibacterial medications all over your face to which acne bacteria might build up resistance. I personally think Vaseline/polysporin/neosporin is too thick and goopy to use all over my face, but you might use a very small amount of it at night. Complex 15 moisturizers are just about the gentlest, least greasy but decently hydrating moisturizers around, so you might give one of them a try (either get them off the internet or from a CVS store). You might give the Lac-Hydrin 5 a second chance, though, since a slight itching sensation from it is pretty normal and goes away after a short time, and it's superhydrating with some AHA to help improve your skin's appearance gradually, it would just take a little bit of time to adjust.

I don't find creme Polysporin to be simular to Vaseline... I'd agree with that with ointment Polysporin, though.

I'm rather reluctant to use anything other than creme Polysporin unless it comes time to put on my make-up. Polysporin + liquid foundation = bad. So, I might only use Lac-Hydrin for that purpose.