Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
helpmetane

Hey, just got accutane!

I got the Sotret, accutane.

Is this accutane? Sotret? Never heard this before...

Also, i pretty much have severe acne, and the doctor only told me to take 1 20MG pills a day...which makes no sense, i feel like i need more then just one.

Just a few questions, what is Sotret?

Thanks all in advance, hope Accutane will help get rid of my acne! :)

yes it's the same thing as accutane. and listen to you doctor's instruction, your dosage was chosen for you by your doctor based on your body weight and may be increased during your course. make sure you take the pill with food.

Hi. Where are you from? I'm from Canada and recently went back on Accutane. Round one was in 1994...round 2 as of last Tues b/c no other antibiotics seemed to be helping me. I was taking Bactrim for 6 months and then switched over to Doxycycline but no luck. So anyways I cant believe how low of a dosage you have. I am taking 2 40 mg a day. Just make sure you do a few other things. Take it with your biggest meal. Be sure to moisturize your skin, use a nasal gel for your nostrils and take vitamin E or omega threes and use chapstick.

sotret is the generic version of accutane. about a few years ago, the patent ran out on accutane and 3 other companies started making it. Supposedly they are all the same, but some people will claim that there is a difference on their reaction to it... I say, try and get the same brand every time, I don't think its good to keep jumping back and forth from the 3 generics....

you will probably be on the medication for 5 to 6 months, depending on the severity of your acne, and your response to the medication. the 20 mg once a day is just a starting dose to get your body used to it. next month it'll probably be upped or something, depending on your doc's pov of how well your treatment is going...

Don't worry, in a few weeks you'll start to see an improvement with everything. I'm on sotret too, 30 mg once a day... starting early may, day 20 :) and I see a tremendous improvement....everyone does. Everything is calming down, and starting to fade away..

good luck, and let me know if you have any questions...

oh yea, you'll probably wanna get some type of lip balm... I like lypsol because of the brand and scent, and it doesn't taste that bad either...lol... others like carmex or burts bees or something... it all depends on your taste...you might also wanna get a moisturizing lotion or something, as you are going to get dry soon....

essentially, the oil producing glands, so I've read somewhere, are either getting cut off, or reducing the flow of oil to your most outer skin, hence...less oil, less clogged pores...

and, as a result, more and more dry face, skin, and for me, flaking around my active pimples. As long as you're smart about it, you shouldn't have much of a problem (bonus if you live in a humid place, maybe thats why I'm not as dry as others :-p )

the accutane will work, its just a matter of whether or not you are willing to deal with the side effects. Do some research on the medication, see whether or not you wanna really do it...

Point in case me. I've been trying to avoid the accutane for 4 years because of my other bad reactions to the doxy & mino (twice)....but I've finally sucumb because I've tried everything that they're willing to give me...laser treatment (about 6), mino twice, differin, klaron (sulfur) tazorac.... doxy.....benzaclin.... cortisone shots... you name it, if they're prescribe it, I basically took it. I've even been on septra (bactrim) several times, but no derm would prescribe it for me again, they're afraid of the deadly allergic reaction I guess. Bactrim was really the only thing that worked that I didn't have bad side effects on.... the soldyn work too, but i had a bad bad bad reaction to it (voices in my head)...lol if I were on it any longer, I'd have done something really really bad or something, aside from yelling and cussing out friends for being caring but annoying...lol

let me know if you have any questions, I'll try to answer as best as possible.

you might wanna check out the accutane forum, http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showforum=46 read through some of the early/later ones, and check out the peoples logs too...you might see some comparisons between your situation & theirs...

good luck! :)

wow kristifire thank you very much, you helped a lot.

cant wait until my face clears up :)

and of course Jordan19, i always see you on this forum, helping people out. props for that.

and Shandon, you all helped...

well another question

What can i use for my face while on this medication...

Proactiv...Acnefree...soap...?

damnit, now my wireless crapped out on me. I'm gonna have to respond later cuz I've got class soon, lol... I had this whole thing too. that sucks....oh well, my fault my fault... I'll definitely respond later though, when I'm out....promise. When are you starting the medication btw?

NO proactiv or acnefree. just a gentle cleanser and moisturizer.

I've had a lot of success just washing with warm water, no cleanser - but, that said, i do not wear makeup so there is really nothing to 'wash' off...

Just be as gentle to your skin and body as possible. And be patient.

wow kristifire thank you very much, you helped a lot.

cant wait until my face clears up :)

and of course Jordan19, i always see you on this forum, helping people out. props for that.

and Shandon, you all helped...

well another question

lol, sorry, I write a lot.... & talk a lot too, its genetic, nothing I can do about it...lol

Don't use anything harsh while on accutane, it'll damage your skin, and you'll look like me :-p I'm allergic to SA and I absolutely HATE BP, get stuff that says its for sensitive skin... I also think I'm allergic to my water, so I use those pre-liquidated cleansing cloth thingys. (Plus sometimes I too lazy to get up, so it helps a lot) Some other people though, use the cetaphil cleanser, its in a blue bottle. I have yet to open mine :-p

hmmm I really think I'm TOTALLY out of it, I could have sworn that I read a question from you saying something like, has the accutane worked for you?.... but I can't seem to find it. hmm just goes to show you what'll happen when you don't get enough sleep, and can't get coffee this early in the morning. Oh well, off to class again...lol

hey thanks kristifire

thanks all for the advice

yea and i did ask if accutane did work for you...because i'm afriad that accutane won't work for me...my acne is severe, first stage of severe, i can go out and party and have fun.

Hope accutane works...praying that it does :)

btw i'm not allergic to anything, so thats a good thing i guess.

hey thanks kristifire

thanks all for the advice

yea and i did ask if accutane did work for you...because i'm afriad that accutane won't work for me...my acne is severe, first stage of severe, i can go out and party and have fun.

Hope accutane works...praying that it does :)

btw i'm not allergic to anything, so thats a good thing i guess.

lol, I THOUGHT you did ask, but I can't FIND IT!!!!!!!! lol.. good... i knew I wasn't that crazy :-p

heh, so far,...well today's day 21 basically, and so far, the improvement is tremendous. Everyone notices a difference. People at my job like to say it randomly, thats how bad I was basically...lol a month after I started there, I got the WORST cysts all around my chin ever...I felt sooo bad that they had to see it...lol I sat in the corner most of the days, praying that I didn't have to go outside, or something wouldn't make a joke about it. But it turned out that the more I spoke about it to them, the more I learned. :) like that facials by trained professionals are GOOD thing....lol

why don't you post some pics of your acne, and I might be able to tell you what'll clear the fastest. Basically, for me...the stubborn acne on my arm...has been slowly going away (its not ALL gone, but its gone beneath the surface and is still going away...I can see it sometimes when I end up cutting off my circulation with my books...lol

The breakout that I had going on at the time that I started, kinda flared up, but after a few days, it almost went away. Oddly enough, what I've been noticing is that as the treatment goes on, the more sensitive your skin is, but yet it heals quickly too....I scratched myself right above my lip putting on a shirt, trying to not get any moisturizer on it :-p bad bad mistake.

and the previous inflammation that might still be there, that'll go away slowly but surely...

There will be days when you are redder than normal, I just forget about it, and deal with it, its not as red as I used to be, so it doesn't really bother anyone. Then again, most of my friends know about it...nearly everyone at work, plus a couple close friends. I kinda let them monitor my progress because I don't have a good perspective...lol

maybe if i get bored enough this weekend, I'll post up some before/nearly day 30 pics ....lol--you'll see SUCH a big difference...

the accutane WILL work (if you have acne ;)) it just depends on how long your course is going to be for... (sorry if I said this before or something)...

ummm let me know if theres anything else, I gotta get some studying in before I fall asleep, so I've got about 30 minutes :-p---a side effect from the tane----exhaustion! ..lol... I'm ALWAYS sooooo tired, on top of my 5 to 6 hours of sleep a night... i feel like I've had 2 to 3... or something...

initial breakout, don't worry too much about that, they usually don't happen and if they do they are usually mild and only last a short time.

thanks jordan and kristifire

Side effects must be killing you guys...only dried lips so far, i hope nothing else...but you know what honestly, i'm praying for me and all of you guys that posted on this topic, i really am. Noone knows what acne feels like

and i'm also a body builder, i consume 200g's of protein and carbs with low fat. Do you think this will have any effects?

I use to take protein shakes, but stopped beceause i break out whenever i use protein shakes, but i do use creatine, and when i use creatine i get no intinital break outs at all...so thats a good thing i guess.

Also i'm a smoker, yea yea i know a bad habit of mine i started back in 8th grade...and ever since i started smoking i started breakout like crazy...but i doubt it's the cigarettes, they don't cause acne...also do you think this will be a effect to my accutane? I don't think smoking has a effect on Accutane

ahh so many questions, sorry :(

I smoked on tane and was completely fine.

Your derm will keep such a close eye on you that its almost impossible to let any side effect get out of hand.

I think I got every side effect listed... my hair started to fall out, I suffered from terrible depression and I hallucinated, lol. But then, I was on very high dosages because I had severe acne.

Just as a warning, some of the side effects may be semi-permanent for you. Its been over a year since I was on tane and I still have extremely dry lips and eyes.

No idea about your body building diet... I sincerely doubt it'll have an effect though, espesh as doctors/derms claim there's no correlation between diet and acne.

thanks jordan and kristifire

Side effects must be killing you guys...only dried lips so far, i hope nothing else...but you know what honestly, i'm praying for me and all of you guys that posted on this topic, i really am. Noone knows what acne feels like

and i'm also a body builder, i consume 200g's of protein and carbs with low fat. Do you think this will have any effects?

I use to take protein shakes, but stopped beceause i break out whenever i use protein shakes, but i do use creatine, and when i use creatine i get no intinital break outs at all...so thats a good thing i guess.

Also i'm a smoker, yea yea i know a bad habit of mine i started back in 8th grade...and ever since i started smoking i started breakout like crazy...but i doubt it's the cigarettes, they don't cause acne...also do you think this will be a effect to my accutane? I don't think smoking has a effect on Accutane

ahh so many questions, sorry :(

well for me, its just mainly the dry face, which doesn't bother me, but bothers other people... the seldom dry eyes that I attribute to tiredness and the dry lips..OH and the all out general tiredness, but then again, and I KNOW you're gonna chid me for this... i eat sugar all day long practically...lol

Well, about the body building, my brother is one too, also a personal trainer, and he went on accutane a couple of times, though I don't think he ever did the full course, no insurance..lol but I don't think I've ever seen or heard of him eating differently just for it. I actually think that it might work a little better for you, but I don't know for a fact. When I asked him about fat-soluble foods.. he told me to go and get protein bars...lol.. so I hopped on over to the vitamin shoppe (they don't taste that good, any suggestions? lol) nothing with peanuts...they make me break out... the oil... urgh!

Just make sure you eat a fat-soluble meal with it...otherwise, I guess protein bars will work fine... ? ... you're the muscle man, you tell me... I never had to count calories or anything like that til now :( (got a way to boost my metabolism?..lol ) the Tane is making me gain weight. Too much fat I guess ...lol (I ate pizza 3 days in a row :( I'm bad I know....

as for smoking,...no clue... I'll admit that I like the scent, but I don't think the smoke is good for your skin...not sure though, as I know plenty of smokers with clear skin...lol

the diet is fine

the smoking won't cause acne or effect accutane treatment.

the side effect actually weren't bad for me, just a little annoying. i already finished accutane a few months ago.