Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TML

4% Benzoyl Peroxide

I only have a 4% BP not a 2.5%... so how much should i use if i am just starting the regimen??

hi...

i started and the reg and still to this day use brevoxyl 4% BP... i just did as most do and followed the reg as if i was using 2%.

so i started with lower dosage and gradually built up to a higher amount... my advise is to just start off as normal and gradually increase the dosage.

hi

k i used it and now my whole jaw line and wherever i put it is red and irritated :cry:

what should i do???? is there anything i can put on it or is it normal and will the redness go away????

I think WhiteWater uses a 4% BP, maybe he can advise you on the best amounts to start with for that specific concentration. It sounds like you probably used a little too much, though. Some redness and irritation is normal, but you don't want to have a strong burning feeling or lots of redness or swelling or anything like that, which are allergy symptoms. I think you probably only want to be using about 1/4 of a finger of BP for your whole face at this point. If you're only putting it on the lower part of your face, use about 1/2 that amount.

Guest WhiteWater
I think WhiteWater uses a 4% BP, maybe he can advise you on the best amounts to start with for that specific concentration. It sounds like you probably used a little too much, though. Some redness and irritation is normal, but you don't want to have a strong burning feeling or lots of redness or swelling or anything like that, which are allergy symptoms. I think you probably only want to be using about 1/4 of a finger of BP for your whole face at this point. If you're only putting it on the lower part of your face, use about 1/2 that amount.

Yeah I use Solugel-4 also known as Brevoxyl.

This is basically irritation free for me. Lactic acid causes a sting and a bit of redness for a minute or 2. But Solugel, absolutely nothing.

I did start with a pea sized amount at night, but there was no redness even then.

Other BPs have made me red, Panoxyl aquagel (same company as Brevoxyl) being the worst offender (I think its the Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, which is crazy to put in a gel, as it is used in trials to create reactions :wacko: ).

I also have a problem with large doses of Propylene Glycol, thats why I dont really like Dans, but even so I like the way hes simplified his ingredients.

Dryness occurs of course, but thats needed IMO.

The makers Steifel do state that in trials that formula has little irritation and they have patented the delivery system.

Most of the reviews I have read have been very good, with most saying what I say that its the best BP they have ever used.

However 1 or 2 people complain of irritation so the starter of this thread maybe just unlucky, or he may just plain be allergic, or as you say just started with way too much. I know you dont need as much as normal BP, I just use a finger tip length for bottom of face, basically beard area but not neck.

My skin does look amazing, even to my surprise. I get comments about it.

The combo of SA cleanser, Solugel and AHA/Collagen/Petrolatum moisturizer has really done wonders.