Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, I have been reading so many posts and articles about acne, and they all mention treatments for oil reduction which in turn reduces acne. The thing I noticed about my daughter is that she does not have oily skin. Her skin is normal to dry. Will these treatments like B5 still work for her if she does not have oily skin but still has acne? Why does she have acne yet no oily skin?

I'll try to answer your question the best I can. I want to first thank you, because you're such a concerned mother and it really makes me happy knowing you are doing the best you can to alleviate the pain your daughter is going through. I know a lot of parents who simply brush it off like it is no big deal at all and it's depressing.

But basically, I don't know too much about dry skin and acne so I will try my best, even though it may be wrong, it's just a logical guess. Correct me if I am wrong.

I think what usually happens is with dry skin, she may flake a lot, is that a correct statement? It may be that she has a lot of dead skin alone hence leading to clogged pores which become infected. But also, most acne is due to not just oil or dead skin (but still are major parts) but also hyperkeratinization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperkeratinization

Hyperkeratinization is a disorder of the cells lining the inside of a hair follicle. It is the normal function of these cells to detach or slough off (desquamate) from the skin lining at normal intervals. The dead cells are then forced out of the follicle (primarily by the growing hair). However, in hyperkeratinization, this process is interrupted and a number of these dead skin cells do not leave the follicle because of an excess of keratin, a natural protein found in the skin. This excess of keratin, which is influenced by genetics, results in an increased adherence/bonding of dead skin cells together. This cohesion of cells will block or "cap" the hair follicle (leading to keratosis pilaris) or clog the sebaceous/oil duct (leading to acne).

I'll try to answer your question the best I can. I want to first thank you, because you're such a concerned mother and it really makes me happy knowing you are doing the best you can to alleviate the pain your daughter is going through. I know a lot of parents who simply brush it off like it is no big deal at all and it's depressing.

But basically, I don't know too much about dry skin and acne so I will try my best, even though it may be wrong, it's just a logical guess. Correct me if I am wrong.

I think what usually happens is with dry skin, she may flake a lot, is that a correct statement? It may be that she has a lot of dead skin alone hence leading to clogged pores which become infected. But also, most acne is due to not just oil or dead skin (but still are major parts) but also hyperkeratinization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperkeratinization

Hyperkeratinization is a disorder of the cells lining the inside of a hair follicle. It is the normal function of these cells to detach or slough off (desquamate) from the skin lining at normal intervals. The dead cells are then forced out of the follicle (primarily by the growing hair). However, in hyperkeratinization, this process is interrupted and a number of these dead skin cells do not leave the follicle because of an excess of keratin, a natural protein found in the skin. This excess of keratin, which is influenced by genetics, results in an increased adherence/bonding of dead skin cells together. This cohesion of cells will block or "cap" the hair follicle (leading to keratosis pilaris) or clog the sebaceous/oil duct (leading to acne).

That is one of the things accutane corrects. Most people think accutane just works to dry skin. It may be true, but it also works to correct hyperkeratinization.

My guess is that she produces very little oil, but with these other conditions, acne is still very possible. During periods of high hormones (like most of us with acne), our hormones are out of balance which lead to extra keratin and extra sebum being produced.

How severe is her acne? Meaning is it more mild, moderate, or severe, and what options has she tried? Tell us more :)

Again, thanks so much, you're a good mother!

Hi, thank you for your reply. I have been reading so much lately about acne and treatments and different types of acne that I am going fuzzy lol. From pictures I have looked at about acne I would say her acne is mild. She has more acne that is skin color and closed and is mostly around her mouth area. Although, I have noticed she has gotten a few around her jaw line area and now has gotten a couple of open pimples on her cheeck area which never happened before. It was always common for her to always have at least a few open pimples around her mouth area especially close to her lips. I have noticed that she licks around her mouth alot I think just a nervous thing or habit. And of course flares up around her time of the month. She has dark areas left over from previous out breaks that I think makes her look more uneven and broken out. She pretty sesitive skin that seems to break out at the drop of hat if she uses something to harsh. Last month she used some sunscreen that she had bought at walmart and it just made her face wreck. She looked so inflammed and red and broke out really bad around her mouth just seems like her face never bounced back after using this sun screen. Any help is so appreciated. I never had to deal with this as I never had problem skin. I just feel bad for her cuz I know it bothers her. I am going to take her to an esthetician in the next couple of weeks and see if they can help her.

Definitely, take her to get it checked out as professionals can offer some good advice (generally, but not all the time, I've seen bad stories here).

I don't know what else I can offer in terms of advice, hopefully some others will post and reply back with more advice as they may be able to relate personally, considering it may be a female related issue :think:

Best of luck, let us know how it goes and what they say.

Once again I hope people post and offer some other advice. It also may be worth having her sign up as well and checking out this website :)