Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Talley

Sleep and Acne - Research to find correlation

Hello, my name is Talley and I am a medical student at University of Southern California, located in Los Angeles, CA. I am conducting a clinical study to examine if sleep quantity/quality can affect the severity of acne. I've perused through this forum and I saw that there was a lot of differing opinions regarding this topic - this is not surprising, given the lack of any published research on the topic.

My study asks participants to log their sleep hours and measure their acne severity weekly for 4 weeks. It is easy to participate, with very small time committment, and most of all, you'll be contributing to expansion of our knowledge on acne. Participants are given $40 at the end of the study as a thanks for participating. If you live in the Los Angeles area, have acne and an irregular sleep schedule, please find more info at www.myspace.com/sleepandacne and sign up by emailing [email protected] or bwhang a t usc d o t edu

This study has been approved by the USC Health Sciences Campus Institutional Review Board (Study ID HS-07-00050). This is conducted by medical students of USC under the guidance of the USC Dermatology dept. Thank you for your time.

Hello, my name is Talley and I am a medical student at University of Southern California, located in Los Angeles, CA. I am conducting a clinical study to examine if sleep quantity/quality can affect the severity of acne. I've perused through this forum and I saw that there was a lot of differing opinions regarding this topic - this is not surprising, given the lack of any published research on the topic.

My study asks participants to log their sleep hours and measure their acne severity weekly for 4 weeks. It is easy to participate, with very small time committment, and most of all, you'll be contributing to expansion of our knowledge on acne. Participants are given $40 at the end of the study as a thanks for participating. If you live in the Los Angeles area, have acne and an irregular sleep schedule, please find more info at www.myspace.com/sleepandacne and sign up by emailing [email protected] or bwhang a t usc d o t edu

This study has been approved by the USC Health Sciences Campus Institutional Review Board (Study ID HS-07-00050). This is conducted by medical students of USC under the guidance of the USC Dermatology dept. Thank you for your time.

Cool. My uncle teaches accounting at UCS

Leos Acne Ebook

He says Sleeping affects acne. Mainly the liver dumps its days toxins into the bowels at 11am-1pm. If you constantly awake at these times they back up and you can guess what will happen.

NHE by Rob Faigin

Basically the first half of your nights sleep is Slow-wave sleep. Growth hormone is higher in this stage of sleep while cortisol is lower. 2nd half of the night you hit REM sleep and growth hormones lower and cortisol rises above Growth hormones to the point when you wake up both are at a similar level.

(also to improve growth hormones dont eat carbs 90 mins before bed)

He says 7 hours is ok for the regular person and 7-9 for athletes and bodybuilders with naps welcome.

my opinion, is that deep restful sleep makes my skin really look great. Most of the time I don't sleep that good because I worry a lot about my skin. Will I wake up with itchy red stuff by my scalp or by my nose or my chin or hairline? Am I going out bowling or tennis with a date or friends & look scabby? This is what keeps me jumping out of bed & FIRST thing I do is look in the mirror & see WHATS THERE. Anyone else feel that crazy?

:doh: I JUST figured this out. I have pretty clear skin during the summer, when I can get 9-10 hours of sleep during the night easily with no interruptions, but during the school year I can get 8 and the most. WTF school is screwing up my skin this is wrong. Ok random but man that explains a lot

man i wish could sleep for 8-9 hours.. its hard for me to fall asleep and i always wake up early no matter what day it is.. is it insomnia?

my opinion, is that deep restful sleep makes my skin really look great. Most of the time I don't sleep that good because I worry a lot about my skin. Will I wake up with itchy red stuff by my scalp or by my nose or my chin or hairline? Am I going out bowling or tennis with a date or friends & look scabby? This is what keeps me jumping out of bed & FIRST thing I do is look in the mirror & see WHATS THERE. Anyone else feel that crazy?

This is exactly how I am. Exactly!

The severity of my acne and condition of my skin seems to determine the amount of sleep I get, as opposed to the amount of sleep I get determining the amount of zits I get.

Sleep is a major part in acne, and I agree. The rare nights I wake up feeling rested (I take advantage of washing my face as a chance to touch my face and kind of feel around) when I go to wash my face I'm like "OMG it feels great!" even it there is acne there, my face just feels incredible.