Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A2008

Some advice, please...

Hi, there... I'll try to make it short. About three years ago my acne problem became a central issue in my life. I had have acne since the end of my childhood and it had got worse and worse. I went to a doctor three years ago and, surprise, prescribed me Roaccutan for the first time. Well, she just say it was going to give me that treatment BUT first it needed to talk to my parents since I was still underage (17). So, my parents went without me to the doctor and came back with a bad new: I wouldn't get prescribed Roa because the doctor was concern about my mental illness. The think is that my father suffered from bipolar disorder. I went to another derm and again, after a while on a treatment, he wanted me to take Roa. I stop going with him. So this was the story once and again, until, searching more info on Roa (I was thinkin' about using and take the risk) I found the Dan's regimen. I did it and after six months, I could say, my acne was partially cleaned up. I mean, I could have no active pimples on my face, one as much, but if I stopped the treatment just for one night, then boom, I was going to get some dirty pimples. So my average of pimples was one during that time. On the other hand, I got pimples on my arms, back, shoulders, then in my legs, and even I've got ones in the tum! (really). So after a year of something near to controlled face acne (but terrible scars made by the ocassionals one by one pimples). At that time, after three years going around the idea, my parents accept the Roa and said they're ok about me taking it, with the right supervision. Last october, my father died. I decided I want to make on Roa, that I was ready and all that. I went to a doctor and he prescribed me a treatment with antibiotic before he prescribed me Roa, to see if I really needed it. I knew that the treatment was not going to do anything but worsten my acne, so I just decide to not use anything (even the BP) and, surprise, something magic happened: I didn't get pimples. I mean, one or two... in about ONE MONTH without using BP or anything else, I even went to sleep two times without washing my face. It was amazing but I was afraid it was something eventual. In fact, my body acne and the oily characteristisc of my skin was the same as always. So I take the risk and went to the doctor, told him I took the treatment and then he prescribed me Roa for the first time. I told him I was afraid for the second effects and he prescribed me a 20mg dose (I am 60kg) because that's the way he does to avoid such effects. He said that I was going to take that dose, and even less at the end, for 10 months. He said that my acne was the kind of acne thad leave a lot of scars. I didn't tell him that my father suffered from bipolar dissorder.

The thing is, I began Roa two days ago (this is my third day) and I very anxious about side effects. I have NEVER suffer from depression before. EVER. Instead, my friends and myself, really believe myself as a very happy person, one that's 'hard to put down'. But on the other, I had such a bad time seeing my fathers illness that one of the things that scares me most is depression or any kind of psychiatric disorder. The most scariest thing in my life. So, as you have see, that's the main reason I haven't take Roa yet, because I was more afraid than my parents was. But now on my third day, I feeling anxious. I don't know if it's me just being too afraid and thinkin' too much in the fact of depression induced by Roa. I feel very nervous because I think that maybe it's too late and I've fucked up my life with this decision. Right now I feel kind of a mental confusion and a sensitiveness I don't use to feel normally. Also I feel kind of sleepy and with less attention and sense of humor than always. I feel very weird, but then again its just my third day... and to say, I'm very sugestionable (you spell it that way in english? I'm from South America). If is just me or I getting depressed? Isn't too early to feel anything if am going too? Should I stop using it on my third day? I don't want to go too far, please, give and advice on this. Also, I don't want to regret forever for not taking Roa and having acne for-life (even if is a little) because I hate to have acne. I'm very nervous, give your oppinion and try to be positive about it and not post shitty stories of life-threatening Roa treatments because I think I'm anxious and scare for all the stories I've heard from the forums and the media. Please, advice me.

The human mind is a very funny thing, you know. Psychosematic symptoms are more common than not. If you give someone a pill and tell them they're going to get nauseous from it, even if the pill is not known to cause upset stomachs, the person will likely get nauseous. It's a proven fact among the psychological community. People, in general, are easily "suggestable" - and some people more than others. Accutane has only been known to cause 1 death - and that was from a case of fatal pancreatitis that would have been avoided if the dermatologist had been doing blood tests to monitor the levels. There is no proven link between accutane and depression. A few kids who happened to be on accutane killed themselves and the media blamed the tane. Had any of those kids taken tylenol, psychodelic drugs, alcohol, smoked weed - which could have also caused the suicide - who knows? Anything could have caused those kids to have been pushed to the edge. They were depressed, They weren't normal, perfectly happy people who took a pill and decided they wanted to die. ANYTHING could have caused it - most likely, a chemical imbalance.

You have nothing to worry about. The more you obsess over it, the more you are going to feel depressed, it's that simple. I remember one time, recently, where I didn't feel like being at work. I was telling people that I wasn't feeling well - had a head ache, stomach ache, etc...all the while, I felt perfectly fine - I just wanted to be told to go home. And don't you know, after saying it so many times - I ended up with a head ache and a stomach ache? Funny how the mind works...

Relax. Take the tane, look forward to the wonderful, clear skin you're going to have and don't let the idea of side effects ruin your positive outlook.

The human mind is a very funny thing, you know. Psychosematic symptoms are more common than not. If you give someone a pill and tell them they're going to get nauseous from it, even if the pill is not known to cause upset stomachs, the person will likely get nauseous. It's a proven fact among the psychological community. People, in general, are easily "suggestable" - and some people more than others. Accutane has only been known to cause 1 death - and that was from a case of fatal pancreatitis that would have been avoided if the dermatologist had been doing blood tests to monitor the levels. There is no proven link between accutane and depression. A few kids who happened to be on accutane killed themselves and the media blamed the tane. Had any of those kids taken tylenol, psychodelic drugs, alcohol, smoked weed - which could have also caused the suicide - who knows? Anything could have caused those kids to have been pushed to the edge. They were depressed, They weren't normal, perfectly happy people who took a pill and decided they wanted to die. ANYTHING could have caused it - most likely, a chemical imbalance.

You have nothing to worry about. The more you obsess over it, the more you are going to feel depressed, it's that simple. I remember one time, recently, where I didn't feel like being at work. I was telling people that I wasn't feeling well - had a head ache, stomach ache, etc...all the while, I felt perfectly fine - I just wanted to be told to go home. And don't you know, after saying it so many times - I ended up with a head ache and a stomach ache? Funny how the mind works...

Relax. Take the tane, look forward to the wonderful, clear skin you're going to have and don't let the idea of side effects ruin your positive outlook.

Thanks, Kell, that was really what I needed. Also, after posting this thread I found on internet that the dose I was takin (20mg x 140lb) is what's considered a microdose and thus I should not even worry too much about second effects -of any kind- because probably they're gonna be milder than they use to be for other guys. And then searched about my doctor and found that he has been very involved in investigations about this kind of dosage and the links between anxiety and isotretinoin. So I feel in very good hands. And distracting myself I finally found out that more than anything I just feel tired and lazy today, not depressed.

Thanks again. I will tell you later about my progress on Tan. ;)

Didn't you say, though, that you were on 20mg, 3 times a day? That would make it 60mg total per day...which is just about right for someone who is 140llb. Either way, I wouldn't worry about side effects - you'll likely get the common ones - dry skin, lips, etc...I wouldn't worry too much about anything else. I would like some clarification on your dosage, though. I think, from what I read, more people have better results on a regular course, rather than a micro dose.