Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AutonomousOne1980

Has years of acne left you an anxious wreck in front of people?

Id have to say that acne has added alot of complicated anxietys over the years its really quite ridiculous and funny and sad all at the same time.

I mean i find humor in my life in the weirdest places but laughing about it is really the only thing you can do, its all just part of the show.

For example i can only do certain things in front of people before my anxiety disrupts my abilitys, such as counting money in front of people, and sometimes its certain people too, i mean i count just fine and im no idiot but if im nervous or something I just can seem to get it together no matter what im doing, sometimes it could be the simplest thing in the world, but sometimes im around people and i feel very empowered and not anxious at all and theres no problem whatsoever, but now i have to think its more the people and their personalitys that is making me anxious as opposed to my own anxiety.

So is it me or is it them and does it have anything to do with acne?

Because i think acne kind of gives you this generalized anxiety toward any social situation, and ive experianced times when i have been really clear for a while and the anxiety starts to fade away, but then i break out and my social anxiety is back at the same level again.

Wow what a life.

no not really, i'm always shy around new people that i dont know, but I always been like that

Yes acne has made me very anxious around people I know and strangers. I usually bring something to play with when I have to go around others, like some stress balls or a plushy.

lol... I look crazy carrying my stuffed animal around but it helps make me feel comfortable.

My advice is that everyone should just find something that helps and use it when ever you feel an anxiety attack coming on.

Guest The Effendi
Because i think acne kind of gives you this generalized anxiety toward any social situation,

Yup. Sometimes I'm so nervous around others I can't even look them in the eyes, I say things that make no sense, and probably come off as indifferent and cold when that's usually not the case, it's just that I don't know how to express myself or how to act in social situations.

I'm slowly trying to put myself out there again, to build up a passable set of social skills. I figure that the more experience I have with being social, the easier it'll become. So now rather than using the self-service thingy in the library for instance, I'll go to the desk and have to talk to a real, breathing human being. I'm still a nervous wreck, but I'm working on it.

That said, I've been clear (albeit scarred) for quite a few months now, and still haven't gotten very far.

This and another condition called hyperhidrosis (which is absolutely debilitating if left untreated) have busted my confidence to some extent, but as these have gotten better so has my anxiety to some extent. Problem is it's like i'm left with a mental scar having dealt with them for so long so which is difficult to overcome.

This and another condition called hyperhidrosis (which is absolutely debilitating if left untreated) have busted my confidence to some extent, but as these have gotten better so has my anxiety to some extent. Problem is it's like i'm left with a mental scar having dealt with them for so long so which is difficult to overcome.

I find that my mood and ability to be talkative is directly correlated to how my skin looks at the time.

I hate it and want to change it but it's really hard.

its left me extremely defensive and closed. Whenever i meet a stranger or im placed in a unusual social situation i just shut off and think about the best way to leave.

its terrible.

yea i've experienced the same thing

i'm starting to come out of it though... it takes time and effort

i recently started working in a very social place... with all GORGEOUS girls... talking to people all day, especially the hottest girls around really helps you get over that

just gotta put yourself out there and be yourself. show as much of your personality as you can and itll draw others to you

I find that my mood and ability to be talkative is directly correlated to how my skin looks at the time.

I hate it and want to change it but it's really hard.

I don't think it has with me. I was a shy person way before I started with acne.

Acne only multiplies the anxiousness. :(