Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dan

Now accepting interview questions for psychiatrist

A new volunteer here at Acne.org is planning to conduct an interview with a highly qualified psychiatrist. When the interview is complete we'll post it right here for all to read. We'd like to get some questions from Acne.org members prior to the interview so the psychiatrist can answer your questions. They will be answered first come, first served and will be limited to 20 per week.

Please post questions in this thread. Thanks!

Can you please give me a techinque for me to stop obsessively looking in the mirror fifty times a day? Its taking over my life

Dan what psychiarist is this by the way? I live near SF. Maybe we both know this psychiatrist :lol:

How can I make my appearance mean less to me? How can I stop worrying about it day in and day out?

I am suffering from social anxiety. Can you eventually grow out of it and it will just disappear? Its starting to disrupt from my everyday life, i dont want to go to school anymore!

What does one do when one is so cynical that they cannot tolerate industrialized society for too much longer?

I deal with over 200 different people > 30 y.o, every week and god knows how many kids around 500. I have a good job, great friends and some family. On the train track to success, the ideal life.

I don't think I have social phobia or confidence issues, I just don't give two fucks about people, I can't stand the falseness in everyday life, the fake stench that surrounds almost every aspect of my life. What's worse is I can't imagine it any other way, I can't hope for anything to change, because I don't know how I want things to change, but I do.

I yearn for prupose, I'm a single grain of sand on the biggest beach in the world, I seek refuge in music, alcohol and drugs. If I'm not drunk or high or both I feel like I am being raped of my free will, my individuality. I'm an albatross caged in society’s expectations, I must get out, maybe WAR? maybe an ascetic life on a beach somewhere?

I understand that I am probably beyond 'help' I probably wouldn't be able to accept help anyway, truthfully I don't know why I typed this up. :):think:

what is the proper way to deal with depression from bad skin?

for example, i look into the mirror and know my skin is ugly. where do i go from there.

i can pretend to ignore it, but it makes me sad. sometimes i just feel angry about it.

..why is it much easier giving help or advice to other people but when you're the one in the situation you dont even know what to do..? like you got lost all of a sudden..

How can you stop yourself feeling depressed about your bad skin?

i cant stop picking my face, i cant stop looking in the mirror every chance i get, i have extreme paranoia and anxiety about other people treating my badly because of how i look, i feel that if i was more beautiful, people would like me more and be nicer even though im the same on the inside. i never feel good enough for anyone because no matter what i do, it'll never fully compensate for how i look. i hate how i manically obsess over looks, i am not superficial but i cant help but feel like im being judged because of my looks, which i have no control over so it's not fair.

How to tell whether what we're feeling is just "normal ups and downs," or whether it's crossed the line into something that we'll need professional help to deal with.

Guest The Effendi

I don't have a question, but for anyone with anxiety problems,

the Therapist I just started seeing said there's a great book you

can read, it's called "Feal the Fear and Do It Anyway" by Susan

Jeffers. She said she read it herself and it's amazing( I haven't

started it yet myself)..............anyway, just thought I'd share that.

Why would you say in your opinion that the field of psychiatry has started on an ever downward slope of misdiagnoses and pill pushing to patients?

This is just a version of some of the questions above, but I feel I should put it down anyway since I've become OBSESSED with my skin in the past two months:

How can I be happy with what I have? I have a nice life -- close friends, functinal family relationships, good job. And yet, I'm ruining it by obsessing over my skin. I research acne solutions instead of working (so much so that I'm worried that I may lose my good job). I refuse to go out on certain days because of my skin (and my friends are getting impatient). When people say my skin is fine, I think they are lying. (Although I know it it much better than it was, and on good days I even agree and think that my skin is fine.) Basically, about 95% of the time I am obessed with thought that my life would be better if only I had clear skin.

Related question: How do you know when you're suffering from acne dymorphia? And if I am suffering from this condition, what can I do to get better? If I can't look normal, I'd at least like to *feel* normal!

Why would you say in your opinion that the field of psychiatry has started on an ever downward slope of misdiagnoses and pill pushing to patients?

Can Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (and C-PTSD) cause acne? What about depression and anxiety?

Can the above influence skin fragility, healing, and contribute to stretch marks? (I was told by a doctor that excess production of the stress hormone cortisol could have contributed to my getting so many stretch marks.)

Do antidepressants Effexor or Zyprexa have any influence on acne or thinning skin?

Are there any resources out there for patients seeking therapy or psychotherapy without going to therapy? What ways can one attack their psychological problems by themself? Do you have any reccomendations for literature in the fields of social anxiety, self esteem, and phobias?

A new volunteer here at Acne.org is planning to conduct an interview with a highly qualified psychiatrist. When the interview is complete we'll post it on Acne.org for all to read. We'd like to get some questions from Acne.org members prior to the interview so the psychiatrist can answer your questions.

Please post questions in this thread. Thanks!

I'm locking the thread at this point so the Doctor can answer these 20 questions after her interview. Either myself or our new volunteer will re-open this thread for follow-up questions when the time comes. Thanks for your questions everybody.