Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CookieCrumbles

Food allergies/reactions

I've spent lots of time reading through this section about what foods can be helpful and hurtful to acne sufferers. I've seen a lot of you cut out dairy or wheat or sugar. For those of you who have had great results by altering your diet, do you think you've ALWAYS had a sensitivity to those certain foods?

I'm asking because I'm trying to evaluate for myself if changing my diet will really help me. I know eating healthier will just plain be better for me period, but as far as making a difference in my acne, I wonder. I had moderate acne starting in high school and after all sorts of topicals/Pro-Active/BP etc. managed to find stuff that, for the most part, kept it mild throughout college and the years after. I'd occasionally get a monster pimple, or a few smaller ones, but really for the most part my skin was okay for a few years. During college my diet was probably awful, and I definitely didn't get enough sleep. After i graduated (it's been 4 or so years now), my sleep has been better and my diet is pretty much what the average American eats - which is not great, too much junk and sugar I'm sure. My break-outs have come back in the past two or so months and I can't figure out why. I was looking into the whole diet thing - but got to thinking, if I managed to go all that time eating whatever I wanted and my skin was okay, can diet really be the culprit?

I had a food allergy test done four or so years ago, for non-acne related reasons, and the only thing that showed up was a "low" (as opposed to moderate or high) reaction to dairy -- although no matter how much dairy I've eaten in the past, it didn't seem to affect my face.

So for those of you who saw improvement with diet change....had you always had consistent break-outs before the diet change? And by that I mean, no random periods where you had clear skin for awhile, then it went back to flairing up again?

I got a bit freaked about sugar and dairy and wheat after reading all these posts about them - but really - if I managed to have good skin while eating all those things, then my acne probably isn't diet related right? I'm just looking for some opinions from you smart folks while I try to narrow down what my problems might be. I do plan on eating more fruits and veggies & overall healthier, but as far as cutting out entire food groups (wheats or dairy), looking at my past it doesn't seem like that's really an issue, do you think?

Sorry for such a long post!

If you haven't noticed an issue, then I wouldn't worry about it. Other people's experiences don't necessarily hold true for you.

Personally, I have never been able to process dairy. Asking my mom, she told me I would puke it up as a baby so I was never given it growing up. To this day, it is the only food group I can say with certainty that it breaks me out. I have tested a few times and, damn, everytime it does.

Also, with diet you can't always look at what you need to cut out, but, maybe, what you need to add in. Maybe you need to add EFA's or more vegetables as you alluded to, or a certain vitamin or more nutrition in general. My personal suggestion is always to do a little bit of both, while avoiding the extremes. Cut out some of the junk, while adding in some of the good stuff (nutrients, EFA's, maybe some certain vitamins). THis way you don't get too crazy about overanalyzing everything.

Guest The Effendi

Even if someone was always bothered by certain foods, it might not always

have showed up in there skin. I used to get HORRID stomach aches when I

was little, and nobody could explain it. Two years ago I went off dairy,(for my skin)

now whenever I eat it, I can barely stand up my stomach hurts so bad. So,

it's like I forced my body to get used to this thing it didn't like, and then when

I was that acne age, my body just sprang on the chance to get rid of those

toxins...through my skin.

I think a lot of bodies would go through a natural acne phase, but the bad diets

just sort of aggravate the problem, and keep it going longer than it needs to.

I never really thought certain foods bothered me, but now that I don't

eat wheat and dairy, I can see an immediate bad effect when I try to. I usually

break-out the next day, and get a stomach ache.

You just have to sort of try for youself, I recommend the Paleo Diet, but

good luck with whatever you choose! :D

Sorry, that was a little long

inflammation in face especially nose/sinus area with trouble breathing, maybe a little dizziness

Cyph is right, if you get inflammation in your facial area, like you are flushing, you may be.

Other clues:

Do you have issues with weight no matter what you eat? For me, my BMI shows that I am dangerously underweight so I tested it out with zantax and alavert (h1 and h2 antihistamines to cover all the histamine receptors). Oddly enough I started gaining weight without changing my diet, but it's too soon to tell, though, so I will see how it goes. So far I have gained 7 pounds in roughly 2 and a half weeks. I never have done that before by doing nothing else.

It didn't make sense before that my weight was such, since I always ate properly, but still my weight reflected myself as being someone who was malnourished!

Guacamolly told me that what happens is that when your body generally is sensitive to something or allergic to it, it acts as a toxin and expells it from the body and you don't absorb the nutrients. I guess now I am absorbing what I eat after testing it out? No clue, but I get extremely flushed in the face around my nose area and I have BAD allergies, and coupled with a really low weight, no matter what I ate, my body must have been malnourished.

Again, this is all speculation and it's still just in testing, but that's basically some clues that may help you figure it out.

But remember, as ariventa says, each person is different and it won't always suit you, most people are usually not allergic to foods, but it's always possible, who knows.

The best thing to do, honestly, is get it tested to see if you are allergic to any foods and avoid it.

Cyph is right, if you get inflammation in your facial area, like you are flushing, you may be.

Other clues:

Do you have issues with weight no matter what you eat? For me, my BMI shows that I am dangerously underweight so I tested it out with zantax and alavert (h1 and h2 antihistamines to cover all the histamine receptors). Oddly enough I started gaining weight without changing my diet, but it's too soon to tell, though, so I will see how it goes. So far I have gained 7 pounds in roughly 2 and a half weeks. I never have done that before by doing nothing else.

It didn't make sense before that my weight was such, since I always ate properly, but still my weight reflected myself as being someone who was malnourished!

Guacamolly told me that what happens is that when your body generally is sensitive to something or allergic to it, it acts as a toxin and expells it from the body and you don't absorb the nutrients. I guess now I am absorbing what I eat after testing it out? No clue, but I get extremely flushed in the face around my nose area and I have BAD allergies, and coupled with a really low weight, no matter what I ate, my body must have been malnourished.

Again, this is all speculation and it's still just in testing, but that's basically some clues that may help you figure it out.

But remember, as ariventa says, each person is different and it won't always suit you, most people are usually not allergic to foods, but it's always possible, who knows.

The best thing to do, honestly, is get it tested to see if you are allergic to any foods and avoid it.

So for those of you who saw improvement with diet change....had you always had consistent break-outs before the diet change? And by that I mean, no random periods where you had clear skin for awhile, then it went back to flairing up again?

food allergies cause undereye puffyness for me its so annoying. Insanely enough it appears that when i avoiid sexual activity for 5-10 days my allergies go away. Im not sure why though.