Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
qrich

Question about antibiotics

I had acne that was moderate/severe about one year ago. I went to my derm and was prescribed an antibiotic (doxycycline), which worked very well in clearing up the acne. Then my refills ended and I didnt go back to the derm and the acne came back. So I came back a few months ago and was prescribed minocycline this time, which almost completely cleared my acne again. I have heard that your body becomes immune to the antibiotics over time and they don't work anymore.My question is will the antibiotics successfully work in keeping my acne gone if I consistently keep using the same minocycline pills or will my body become immune to them and they will become useless, because I don't want my acne to start up again. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi -

It is possible that even if you keep using the same minocycline antibiotic that your body could become immune to it - its hard to say for sure though, since everyone reacts to these drugs differently. It is possible that it could still keep you clear for a long time though. I guess it depends on how long you are willing to stay on the drug. I know people can be on one of the cycline drugs for years and they still have a good response to the drug and stay clear.

There is also tetracyline, if you do become resistent to the mino.

I'm going to move this to the antibiotic section of the messageboard - you should get more responses there.

i think i'm right in saying that your derm may just switch antibiotics after a period of time or when / if they become ineffective.

if all the antibiotic and topical treatments fail then maybe accutane will be necessary.

anyway good luck,

tim