Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sarahsarah

finding it hard to cope, long wait to see dermatologist

I feel pathetic but i am in tears here. Im new by the way i looked for this place because I dont really know anyone with the same problem as me

I am a 26 year old woman and i have been begging my doctor for the last few months to refer me to a dermatologist. They have been giving me antibiotics, which do not work or make me ill and panoxyl has left me with terrible peeling burning skin

I finally got a referral and when I phoned the hospital it had been lost and I have to start over again waiting

I have been getting large cysts all on my chin and mouth area, currently i have 1 large cyst and 7 smaller ones - half are peeling off from the panoxyl and the other half are full and sore. The rest of my face is full of scars, some are a very dark colour

I dont even want to go out anymore i feel so embarrassed. Worse still I have a date with someone this week i haven't seen for a couple of months, when my acne wasn't like this and I feel i cannot go. I can't even put make up on as it makes it just look worse

Just not sure how to cope for the next few months

I feel pathetic but i am in tears here. Im new by the way i looked for this place because I dont really know anyone with the same problem as me

I am a 26 year old woman and i have been begging my doctor for the last few months to refer me to a dermatologist. They have been giving me antibiotics, which do not work or make me ill and panoxyl has left me with terrible peeling burning skin

I finally got a referral and when I phoned the hospital it had been lost and I have to start over again waiting

I have been getting large cysts all on my chin and mouth area, currently i have 1 large cyst and 7 smaller ones - half are peeling off from the panoxyl and the other half are full and sore. The rest of my face is full of scars, some are a very dark colour

I dont even want to go out anymore i feel so embarrassed. Worse still I have a date with someone this week i haven't seen for a couple of months, when my acne wasn't like this and I feel i cannot go. I can't even put make up on as it makes it just look worse

Just out of curiosity, why do you need a referral to see a dermatologist? I went to my first one without anything. 2nd one without anything, and 3rd one with one from my health clinic at my school (I annoyed them too much). Didn't use the referral though.

I've read somewhere on the internet, can't remember where, that if you have sever cystic acne, they can like, bump up your appt. because it scars badly and needs to be treated soon.

I don't know where you live or how hard it is to get an appt. wherever you are, but usually, they'll take you as new patients (talking about the US), no referral needed, as long as you can pay the bill, or that derm is a part of your insurance plan, shouldn't be a biggie.

you said that the panoxyl is making you red and such, and peeling...if I were you, I would stop using it right now. It is FULL of BP and has some SA. Anything that burns when you put it on, is hurting you more than it will ever help you. Trust me, I basically poured SA into my raw peeling cheeks and as a result of it, its been 4 years since I could look in the mirror and smile, without wearing makeup. ... moral of the story: I'm an NOW completely and utterly allergic to SA. It burned, it peeling, it stung...I used it for 2 weeks and got tired of the white flakes on my black shirts. When I finally stopped, my end result was severe redness that was essentially permanent for years on end. I'm on accutane now, and its finally starting to go away.

Point being, that if it burns when you put it on, stop using it. If you don't think its working, stop using it. At the time when I didn't have a derm, and was using my own regime, I saw more improvement than when I was with my derm.

When I decided to go on accutane, I started looking up any alternatives that i could think of, and when I came across this forum, I found a thread about green tea capsules. I did them for 3 weeks, and when I went to get my first script of the tane, everyone in the office thought that I had already started my treatment. They saw that much improvement.

I think the dark colour you're talking about, is the cysts that are right beneath the surface. I've only ever had 3 of my many many many, go down completely to the point of not even knowing it existed there. My others have turned red, and simply stayed that way. I think the purple is the "deflated" as I like to call it. It'll go away in a while, not saying a month, mine probably took close to a year to disappear, the purple mark in the middle of my forehead.

if you want, I've got some natural "home remedies" that'll help die down the cysts....it worked for me, and its on one of these threads here, its turmeric spice & coconut oil, mix it together to create a paste, and put it on the cysts...make sure you get plenty of spice on it...lol...put a bandaid on or something if you can, leave it over night, and it'll have shrunk down...but a word of warning.... IT STAINS!!!!! so toss on your most unfavorite shirt, put on the ratty pillow case and sheets, and sleep it off :-p I've ruined my share of shirts and towels, sleeping with it...and careful when you take it off, don't scrub too hard...it'll still hurt...

I did this for about a month, and that spring semester afterwards, I was almost clear of cysts, til a month before prom, but thats life.

the turmeric will help though. And just call up a derm's office, explain your situation, and see what they can do...It never hurts to ask. But in the mean time... turmeric! ...lol..

oh yea! other people have been asking me where to get it from... ummm... the coconut oil : a vitamin shop, like GNC or something, a health food place... and the turmeric spice...in the spice aisle at your favorite grocery store :)

PM me if you have any questions! and good luck!!! :)

Welcome, sarahsarah! You'll find lots of good listeners & good advice here from people who totally understand your feelings.

I didn't need any referrals either so I don't get that, and I dont' understand your doctor's reluctance either. Call and let them know how concerned and upset you are that the appt is so far away, and stay on top of them. Don't be afraid to go somewhere else if they don't seem to see the urgency. It's common to have a surface mark for some time after a cyst heals, so try not to worry about that, but the condition does need to be treated as soon as possible to prevent scarring in the future.

Best of luck!

thank you all

i am in the Uk actually, and you need a stupid referral! Which i have been literally begging the doctor for, for months, and finally they have given in

Problem is here, they are general practitioners and they assume they can cure you I cannot take the oral contraceptive due to migraine with aura, and this is their only answer

I have been on tetracycline - on which i developed 2 huge cysts

Erythromycin - which made me throw up for 3 days

Zineryt - did nothing

Duac cream - did nothing

and various other things otc etc....

i actually started to cry last time i went, and said please just help me. So they sent a referral - it got lost! In the UK they have to send a referral to the national health service and then you have to wait god knows how long for a consultation. I cannot afford private as i dont have insurance

Right now i am sat with sudocreme (you know of this nappy rash cream?) on my face as everything else just burns. I was given BP 10% which is strong and its burned my face

I also have a large cyst right on my chin - right where i have had quite a few. The spots keep coming under scars, making scarring worse. I scar badly all over my body anyway, so my face is just purple blotches or red pimples

I do feel really down, as i know i have to wait ages to see someone

Hey sara sorry to hear about your problem. If I was you i would save my money, ebay stuff i didn't need or could live without, work side jobs for various people and then order accutane online! if you order it from canada its much cheaper too. Believe me, I wouldn't even mess with anything else. I tried for years. Most topicals only made my problem worse because it wouldn't allow the pimples i already had to get the junk out naturally and would make my face red ect. Get accutane! I can't describe to you how good it feels to have clear skin! It will also help with your scaring and red marks because it exfoliates your skin sooooo much. Throw in some viatamin C everyday and some healthy fats and your skin wil be right as rain. I am now in my fifth month of accutane and i am just now starting to get back to clear skin. My red marks and scaring improve on a daily basis and the best is yet to come once i am off because my skin will be thicker and will be allowed to heal much better! Trust me....life is too short to be this misserable!

Hi there. First off, let me start by saying that you should def take kristifire's advice and stop using anything that irritates your face... please stop before it does more damage. I insisted on applying BP even after it became apparent that I was allergic, and ended up developing dermatitis. Not nice.

Are you really SURE you can't afford to go private, even if you save up some? Trust me, I am not well off at all, but found a way... and there are some private derms that will refer you to an NHS derm once you have seen them... this could cut down on your overall cost but allow you to start right away on treatment.

Not to make things worse - but once you get referred to a derm on the NHS, they may just make you try a bunch more useless stuff. i don't know if it's accutane you want, but it will be MUCH easier to get it privately as they don't have to worry about the cost to the NHS

Hi there. First off, let me start by saying that you should def take kristifire's advice and stop using anything that irritates your face... please stop before it does more damage. I insisted on applying BP even after it became apparent that I was allergic, and ended up developing dermatitis. Not nice.

Well, my face began itching, very badly. When I would apply the BP, it would burn and then throughout the day my face would itch, and I mean really badly. At first, the itching would only occur when I applied BP. I was so desperate that I kept using it anyway, until my face became red with mild swelling, and then it just itched 24/7, with or without BP.

I cannot be SURE I was allergic, but the BP definitely did not agree with me after a while. On pages 1 or 2 of my accutane log, I have posted pics of my skin - look at how RED and irritated it looked. Oh man - that was HELL - I am so relieved that is over.

Well, my face began itching, very badly. When I would apply the BP, it would burn and then throughout the day my face would itch, and I mean really badly. At first, the itching would only occur when I applied BP. I was so desperate that I kept using it anyway, until my face became red with mild swelling, and then it just itched 24/7, with or without BP.

I cannot be SURE I was allergic, but the BP definitely did not agree with me after a while. On pages 1 or 2 of my accutane log, I have posted pics of my skin - look at how RED and irritated it looked. Oh man - that was HELL - I am so relieved that is over.

I am not sure if i am allergic, but it was seriously painful

interestingly now the burning has gone (as i haven't used BP since), the underlying skin is lovely and soft! But its still all peeling off in bits and bobs

I am literally just using water to wash my face, Aqueous cream (do you know of this?) as a moisturiser and sudocream on any really painful spots

the cyst burst - nice lol! but i have about 5 'lumps' that dont seem to get bigger or smaller, they are just there, they are not normal spots or cysts.

The problem with my scarring is that it is very dark, and new cysts seem to come up under them, then the skin stretches and breaks and sometimes peels - and its all on my jawline, so i am thinking its probably hormonal?

Sarah

There are a lot of derms that will get you in right away. Call them yourself and ask for an appointment. There's a derm in Chicago that would see me the same day I called. The guy is amazing was a researcher at Chicago Univ on acne etc. Sorry I'm 2000 miles away from him now or I'D be calling him on Tuesday. Dr Cornbleet for those that live around Chicago

Hey.

I haven't read most of the replies but I'm going to give you a little one for your first post...

Well, I know how you feel. I'm a young male and also covered in these things.

I have severe acne for about a year until the doctor decided to refer me to the derm. And when he did it took a month to get to him, and then another month for him to prescribe me anything.

Through this year, I've taken about 2 months off school because I'm so ashamed of the way I look. I'm currently in year 11 which means because of my absence I missed a LOT of the goodbye stuff at school.

After realising this, I actually hated myself more.

The only thing I can recommend for now is to keep your chin up and be confident! I'm so bummed with myself that I missed all the last day parties and stuff just because of some bumps on my face.

If your going on the date and he ditches you because of the way you look, fuck him. Would you actually want to be with someone that judges people mainly on their appearance?. Some of the nicest people i’ve ever chatted too are in the acne boat.

sarah,

so sorry sweetie. these cysts are just awful. some things you could try...

i agree, stop using harsh products. go gentle with cetaphil or something like that.

apply ice to the area a couple of times per day. i do this when i'm watching tv or surfing the internet.

stop eating sugar and dairy NOW. really, this is a big one that should help. also stop coffee and chocolate.

apply a little tea tree oil on the spots at night time.

i'm also going to send you a pm.