Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maeflower

Acne because of pill?

Hi all (women),

I used to have pretty clear skin until I started with the pill a while ago. I gained a LOT of weight and I broke out heavily. I soon got off it again, but my skin's the same and hasn't changed back to it's "before pill stage". Has anybody had the same problem? I have very dry skin, but quite a few angry, red zits and also blotchy skin, which just makes it look even more uneven. I so want my pre-pill skin back with hardly ever a zit in sight!

I have been off the pill for over 2 years now.

What are your experiences?

Maeflower

Hi all (women),

I used to have pretty clear skin until I started with the pill a while ago. I gained a LOT of weight and I broke out heavily. I soon got off it again, but my skin's the same and hasn't changed back to it's "before pill stage". Has anybody had the same problem? I have very dry skin, but quite a few angry, red zits and also blotchy skin, which just makes it look even more uneven. I so want my pre-pill skin back with hardly ever a zit in sight!

Maeflower

Hi all (women),

Maeflower

Thanks,

I am not English, and I don't know an American/English/whatever equivalent to my pill, but I found this:

Ethinylestradiol/dienogest (EE/DNG, Valette , Jenapharm GmbH & Co. KG) is a new low dose monophasic combination containing 30 µg of ethinylestradiol (EE) and 2.0 mg of dienogest (DNG). The dose of 2 mg DNG is found to be sufficient to inhibit ovulation and the dose of 30 µg EE to ensure satisfactory cycle control while at the same time keeping estrogen related adverse events to a minimum.

That was about my first pill. Since I had trouble with that one, I went on Yasmin, which was a LOT worse on my skin. Valette (first pill) just caused a few impurities and blotches, while Yasmin really got to me. My skin was a lot better at the end of the 7-day-break, but still a lot worse than before starting on the pill!

I don't want to try any other pills. I gained 22 pounds within 8 weeks, eventhough, for the first time in my life, I watched what I ate, and I had horrible cramps (sorry to the guys!) that I NEVER suffered before. I know that my mum and grandma didn't react well to the pill, as well, so I guess it's in the family. Additionally, I am a classical trained singer and the oral contraceptiva are not recommended for us, since they may, however slightly, change colour, timbre and range of the voice.

I am glad to know others suffered from this, as well. When googling all I came up with were stories of women breaking out after going off the pill or girls asking whether the pill might help with their skin. I couldn't find anything (granted, there's so much I might have missed a lot!) about acne BECAUSE of the pill. It's really good to know that others had the same problem. I just wish I never started!

Thanks again for the kind replies, I guess I'll try to find one regime for me.

Maeflower

I've taken Ortho Tri_Cyclen twice in my life..once was early 20's and I had perfect airbrushed looking skin..it was amazing..then I took it again in my late 20's and get horribly cystic acne all over my chin/jawline/lower cheeks.

I think it just depends on your hormones at the time etc as to how it will effect you. The dr's say to stick with it for a few months and I stuck with it for 5 or 6 then stopped - as soon as I got off then my face really exploded and I wouldn't leave the house for weeks at a time..it was horrible for my self esteem. I managed to get it under control and I haven't have a cystic pimple or (many for that matter) in about 6 months.

the female pill is a steroid. You gain weight and get acne due to a higher amount of synthicated hormones in your blood stream. Its the same reason men who use anabolic steroids get acne.

And the main reason how i got my acne. Im a man and use to use steroids, the massive amount of androgen in my body caused my skin to become so oily and i ended up with cystic acne on my back.

When my wife takes the pill she gets very moody lol and gains weight.

The doctor told us what ive said above about the pill.

I took Yasmin two times. The first time it worked wonders for me and I cleared right up. I went off of it for a year and then I went back on it and it didnt work at all that time. It actually caused me to have cystic pimples.

Ami dont you think she would get more replies if this were under prescription acne medications?

I have high testosterone and just started yasmin....Hopefully it wont break me out but the gyno. said I need something to help with my hormones which is why she game me yasmin.

I've tried many birth control pills too, and the one that killed me was Seasonale. I gained 20 pounds, and got horrible cystic acne from it, and I was only on if for 7 months! I wanted to try it b/c I thought it would be cool to only get my period every three months.

I went back on the Yasmin, which I found to be best for my skin. I also tried Estrostep and Mircette many years ago, and they made my skin worse, too. You have to keep trying many kinds, and you will find one that works for you eventually.

I took Yasmin two times. The first time it worked wonders for me and I cleared right up. I went off of it for a year and then I went back on it and it didnt work at all that time. It actually caused me to have cystic pimples.

Ami dont you think she would get more replies if this were under prescription acne medications?

I've taken Ortho Tri_Cyclen twice in my life..once was early 20's and I had perfect airbrushed looking skin..it was amazing..then I took it again in my late 20's and get horribly cystic acne all over my chin/jawline/lower cheeks.

I think it just depends on your hormones at the time etc as to how it will effect you. The dr's say to stick with it for a few months and I stuck with it for 5 or 6 then stopped - as soon as I got off then my face really exploded and I wouldn't leave the house for weeks at a time..it was horrible for my self esteem. I managed to get it under control and I haven't have a cystic pimple or (many for that matter) in about 6 months.

weird how we had almost the same reaction to it Wynne.. it taught me a lesson though. What worked before may not work again!

a couple years ago i went on dianette for about 2 months...i seem to remember my skin being good! i've just started taking it again 4 days ago cos i'm getting married in 10 months and want my skin to be nice and clear!

Ok this thread is SERIOUSLY discouraging!!! :confused: I really want to start taking the pill (hate condoms) but almost every person in this thread has said the pill has given them cystic acne.

Is there anyone who is taking birth control right now that is finding it's clearing their skin really good etc. I have never had cystic acne before and would be absolutely devestated if this happened to me.

Ok this thread is SERIOUSLY discouraging!!! :confused: I really want to start taking the pill (hate condoms) but almost every person in this thread has said the pill has given them cystic acne.

Is there anyone who is taking birth control right now that is finding it's clearing their skin really good etc. I have never had cystic acne before and would be absolutely devestated if this happened to me.

I've been on an off birth control.. the first one was Ortho Tri Cyclen and man did it make me break out! I got on it for the reason it was told to help with acne.. yeah right, maybe for some people but not everyone. I got off that of course and went to depo... didn't clear up acne but I liked that it was a every 3 month thing but did make me gain 10lbs in a year.. got off that and went on diane 35.. made me break out.. went to apirl i think it was called (they don't make it anymore).. it was good but never helped with acne, didn't make it worse. After that I got off it because it was making me loose too much weight then I got preggo with my hubby and had my daughter then when she was 9months I was going to get on the pill but was waiting to loose all the baby weight before and I got on the pill, well i got preggo again. My son was born I was on the mini pill because I was breast feeding and it was good didn't make me break out. I got on yasmin when I stopped breast feeding and it did help me with my acne.. made it very mild and also I lost weight.. Been on yasmin for a year now and has done me good.. kept my acne mild. I guess we all have to find what works best for us. My cousin took Yaz and it made her breakout.

I read that if you go on a pill that is high in synthetic estrogen and low in androgens, you will have more success with your skin because androgens cause acne and some of the other negative side effects. Is this true?

I had the same experiences as most of the ladies here. I took ortho-tricyclen when i was 19 and it worked great but the next time i tried it my skin was horrible. I have never been able to use any pill again-my skin is a lot oilier and is very sensitive to hormonal shifts. I have heard that if you are a small person-that you should take low dose hormonal bc pills. I have mild to moderate acne but I believe the reason I have acne now is because of BC pill. I wish I ha never used it. However, I bet your skin will get better-it just takes a while to find the right combination of treatments/changes. What have you tried so far?

Alirght! I'm crossing my fingers this doesn't happen to me. I've been on BC since i was about 15, doctors orders.( i've had alot of problems) i'm now 21 and i can't say i've really gained tons of weight or broke out really bad, If anything its done good for my skin (i have mild acne) Its been my experience that lower doses might not do that to you.... :shrug: I can't take BC's like ortho-tricyclen and others with regular levels of hormones . Try things like low estrin 24 and Zovia. Both of those have worked well for me and i'm VERRRYYYY sensitive to BC's they have low hormone levels but are just as effective. Neway...i guess it depends on your body.... Good luck ya'll!

hi,

im on Marvelon Pill and it has not made much change to my skin, i have serious problems with blackheads but do also get spots which i think are due to my hormones!! i go through phases with my skin and right now its gone dry again and the tone looks uneven,

somtimes my mineral makeup helps me look half decent but not today :redface:

i swear its my hormones so when i see my stupid doctor again im gonna let him know my opinions...

im gonna get off marvelon and ask for another pill...

im 27 and sick of having crap skin...

:boohoo:

Angelsmomma how long have you been taking it? I'm on Marvellon, too. I've just started my 3rd month. It seems to be improving my skin, but that could also be down to the fish oil I'm taking. My doctor said it would take a while to clear my skin. Too bad I'm so impatient, LOL! I'm 26 and also sick of having crap skin for so many years! Maybe I'll switch to a stronger pill if that doesn't work. If it works I don't plan to come off the Pill EVER lol! Because I've also heard that when you stop taking it the acne comes back.

Here is what happened to me. I am 26. I was on the pill for about 5 years. Have always had mild to moderate acne for much of my life, in cycles. I started with Estrostep, cleared me up beautifully, but bad side effects. Switched to Lo/Ovral. Overall a good pill for me. Was on it for about 3 1/2 years. Switched to Ovcon-35, broke out pretty bad. Switched to Yaz, made me horribly sick. Switched to Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo, really great pill but made me break out.

Then I got a divorce. Got off BC in December. Had beautiful, clear skin until late Feb/early March. Then BOOM! As soon as my cycles started getting back to normal, I noticed my hair and skin were getting really oily. I started breaking out a lot, kept getting progressively worse through March. My periods were unmanageable as well. So April 1 I decided to go back on the pill. Took Ortho Tri-cyclen lo. Then I got the WORST BREAKOUT OF MY LIFE. I developed horrible cystic acne on my jawline and chin. I had some nodules that wouldn't go away for 6 weeks. I started using ProActiv again in late March, which had kept me clear for years, and it wasn't helping much. My face continued to get worse and worse through April and May. I finally determined OTC-lo was destroying my skin (although honestly I'm not sure, it could have been starting the pill in general). I switched back to Lo/Ovral 2 weeks ago, and started Benzamycin gel 4 weeks ago. Finally my skin is starting to clear, except for my chin. I have cysts and tons of pustules all over my chin, and I've never broken out on my chin. But overall my skin is 75% better than it was a month ago.

Anyway...In a 3 month period I went from having beautiful skin to a horrible breakout, to now a face full of huge clusters of red and dark brown marks, and a couple of permanent scars. I just want to cry. So what I can say about the pill is...if you have hormonal acne (which I think I do), some pills can help and some make it worse. And stopping and starting the pill can cause a bad flare up. And every body works differently. But here is what I know about birth control pills and acne:

I have done a lot of research. In general, if you are looking for a pill to help with acne, you need a higher level of estrogen (30-35 mcgm) because this helps counteract the testosterone levels in your body. Of course this means a higher incidence of side effects. Also in general, you should look for a progestin that is less androgenic. Androgens cause side effects like hair growth and acne. But the interesting thing is that the general rules just do not always apply. You need to try different pills until you find one that works. I have used pills with androgenic progestins, but my skin has improved or there has been no effect (i.e. Estrostep, Lo/Ovral). I have also used pills with progestins that are not androgenic and are supposed to help with acne, and I have broken out horribly (i.e. Ovcon-35, OTC-lo). So really, you won't know how your body reacts to a pill until you try it.

Also, some pills have a steady level of hormones all month long and others are phasic or tri-phasic. Meaning a different level of hormones each week. I have found that I don't do well on phasic or tri-phasic pills. That's just me. I get worse side effects with those types of pills. But other people get less. So you need to figure out what works best for you.

As far as specific pills:

Yasmin has a special progestin called drosperinone, which is different than any other pill on the market. The progestin has a bit of spiro in it (a drug used to treat PCOS), which is why it is effective for acne for many people. But this can equal more sexual side effects. It also is higher in estrogen (35 mcgm) so that helps as well. I took Yaz, which is a low dose version of Yasmin (20 mcgms of estrogen, same progestin) and I got very sick and completely lost my sex drive. Although it did help my skin.

Ortho Tri-cyclen works for a lot of people for acne. This has a high level of estrogen (35 mcgm) and the progestin is very anti-androgenic, which is why it often works for acne. Ortho tri-cyclen lo has less estrogen (25 mcgm). Which is perhaps why it does not work as well for acne as the regular version. I have read numerous instances of people developing cystic acne from Ortho-lo. I am one of them! So I find that interesting considering the progestin in OTC-lo is very anti-androgenic and therefore shouldn't stimulate acne. Yet the estrogen content is low, so perhaps it is not enough to balance things out for some people. I don't know. But I really am afraid to try regular OTC after the experience on OTC-lo. I don't know if my breakouts came from the lack of estrogen, or from the progestin in the pill.

Alesse is interesting. It is a very low dose of estrogen (20 mcgm) and has a progestin that is very androgenic. Yet I believe it is approved in Canada to treat acne! So who knows.

So my conclusion as far as acne goes is...if your acne clears on a low dose birth control pill (20 mcgm of estrogen) then great! If it doesn't, move up to a 30 or 35 mcgm dose. I went back to Lo/Ovral (30 mcgm) because I found that 20-25 mcgm of estrogen was too low, but 35 was too high. We'll see what happens. I am finding I am having a different experience on the pill after stopping it than I did the first time around. There is no doubt that these hormones mess with your bodies. But for me, I have really heavy periods and oiliness and excess body hair, plus the acne, so it's worth it for me to take them. I just dread the day I have to go off them again. Yikes!

I have attempted to attach a fantastic document that talks about the different birth control pills on the market. Hope it helps.

Which_OCP_is_Best_Handout.pdf

Which_OCP_is_Best_Handout.pdf

I was on the pill for my acne, I have tried otho tri cyclin , and that really made me breakout badly, and I went on ortho novum , helped a little but still had acne. then I tried depo and almost all my hair fell out and had the worst acne. the best is yasmin and , but i had to stop taking it because it was making me nerotic and panicy also a emo mess. desogen cleared my skin but gave me melasma, and brown spots. now im off the yasmin and breaking out I might try mircette that is like desogen (they have the same progesterone ) but mircette has less estrogen in it. ovcon 35 gave me baby acne all over my entire face. so....thats my experience...some one should do a poll on evryone bcp results so we can see statistics of the acne increasing.