Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm sure theres 100 more threads started about the same topic but I didn't feel like searching so here I am :dance:

as a long time acne suffer and bp user I decided to make a thread about the importance of moisturizing your face. were all in this together so everyones opinions, passed experiences, thoughts etc should be considered. I'll start off with my story.

I've been suffering with acne since my junior year in highschool, I tried everything on the market from proactive to every type of over the counter BP. yes some of them worked but the probelm I was having was applying lots of BP, scrubbing my face and not using any type of moisturizer. at the time all I was concentrating on was the BP working on the active zits but then a week later I would have a major breakout. this was caused by over drying of the skin, not using any moisturizer and scrubbing my face way too hard. I was getting fed up with my face and finally seen a derm. I must of spent hundred's of dollars on face products that really didn't do anything for me. at that time of seeing my derm, I had deep active zits so she prescribed me a pill called doxycline, benzaclin and a facial cleanser called plexion. I took 2 doxy's a day and that def helped with my deep zits, applied benzaclin morning and night but never used a moisturizer. yet again the active zits would dissapear and I would have another breakout the next week due to over drying of the benzaclin. I went to go see my derm about 5-6 weeks ago, she told me my face is looking alot better but she would prescribe me more benzaclin but this time to just use it as needed.

so as of right now im currently spot treating any active zits with the benzaclin, using ACV as a toner and using lac-hydrin five as my moisturizer (its an alpha hydroxy acid lotion). I really don't have any active zits at the moment as well. my skin is loving it and I've noticed a couple things...

-since I've stopped using the benzaclin all over my face and only spot treat when needed I haven't broken out on the sides of my face.

-since I started moisturizing with lac-hydrin five morning and night I stopped breaking out.

-the combination of the ACV and lac-hydrin five seem to help out ALOT.

-my over all skin tone is back from all the years of the harsh scrubbing and BP.

my derm told me at my last visit if I wanted to make another appointment to call her up so we can go over all the things she can do to help fade the red marks. as of right now I have a couple dark red marks on my cheek bones that are noticeable in pictures that I want faded. the other marks you can hardly see. so tomorrow I'm making a call to schedule an appointment. sorry this was a long read but what im trying to say is that if it wasn't for me scrubbing my face and applying all that BP over the years, I don't think I would be in the same position I am now. for those who are suffering from acne right now I would def take some of my advice into consideration or go see a derm. what sucks is us acne suffers do what we can to stay clear and yet people who don't even wash their faces have perfect skin. I'll list a couple things I feel are important factors while going thru the acne stage.

-if you're at that point where you feel uncomfortable to talk to people face to face worrying that their looking at your face than see a derm.

-if you are using BP make sure you gently rub it in your face and make sure you DO use a moisturizer because the BP will dry out your face.

-don't look in the mirror at yourself on a constant basis because you won't beable to tell if your face is clearing up. the way you see yourself in the mirror compared to how other people see your face is totally different. you're looking for every flaw while others don't see your face as bad as you do.

-as hard as it is try to not think of your face thru out the day.

-time is key, don't rush into things.

-if you're getting those big cysts etc I would def stop using the BP and see a derm.

I do have another thread in the red marks section and you can view it here http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Rate-my-r...cs-t153322.html

I know my face isnt nothing compared to lots of people on this board but were all in it together and I know how it feels to have acne. if anyone has anything else to add feel free to do so and hopefully this will help others with their acne.

oh by the way, my face is as smooth as a baby's butt right now. im just trying to work on fading the darker marks.

"what sucks is us acne suffers do what we can to stay clear and yet people who don't even wash their faces have perfect skin."

AMEN! =) i think that is WHY they dont break out. they are careless, they dont stress about it. when we stress=more break out.

YES, YES, YES!!!!!!! moisturizing is SO important, especially if you're using any sort of medicated product. it's scary because we think adding moisturizer will cause breakouts, but it really helps keep your skin clear. i have just taken to using a heavier moisturizer with no acne medication whatsoever and am seeing improvment every day. it's a slow process, but well worth it.

YES, YES, YES!!!!!!! moisturizing is SO important, especially if you're using any sort of medicated product. it's scary because we think adding moisturizer will cause breakouts, but it really helps keep your skin clear. i have just taken to using a heavier moisturizer with no acne medication whatsoever and am seeing improvment every day. it's a slow process, but well worth it.

I totally agree with you... its the same concept as putting hand lotion on. I can't stress enough how important it is to keep your face nice and moisturized (thats why I moisturize 2 times a day). I've been clear on both sides of my face for 3 weeks now :::knock's on wood::: since I stopped using the benzaclin. like I said in my long post I only spot treat with the benzaclin now. of course you'll get the occasional breakout from stress, food etc... but I really think lots of people (including myself) tend to break out due to over drying of the skin.

by the way, which moisturizer do you use? im currently using lac-hydrin five and love it. I just made a derm appointment to see what she can do about fading the couple of darker red marks on my face.