Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SickofitAll

I feel like crying, and My thoughts are scaring me

PLEASE HELP... I absolutely hate what my acne has done to me. I use to be such a positive person, but more and more I am becoming so negative and cynical. I have even lately had thoughts of suicide (i know i would never do it tho), but just having thoughts of it scares me. I have had acne since about 14, and I am now 20. Since junior year I have had to pat my face down with tissue about every 2 hrs so i don't seem so oily.. My skin is very oily but also very very sensitive (pretty much the worse combo, and to give an idea of how sensitive even cetphil cleanser makes my face red). I have plenty of small light scars, some dark, but i have so many it looks like my checks got scraped on a sidewalk, lots of red marks. And when its cold my skin is super blochy. I am currently using Retina-A Micro and Noxzema to wash, the Noxzema does dry my face out every so often but since i am so oily it doesnt last long.

I even stayed in tonight for new years b/c I hate the way I look and I know people are so judgemental (I've overheard people say Yea hes a cool guy and all, but whats up with his face... that just crushed my self-esteem, it really hurt coming from someone i considered a friend)

TO get to the point I was hoping someone could tell me a good regime, and More importantly how to get rid of my scars, or lighten them. From what I've been reading this PureDeming Instense gel sounds like it might help?...Thank you

Hang in there!!!!!!!! Is your acne gone? I am REALLY glad I went through the acutane thing. It really took my acne away totally for about 10 years. I have had a little return but it is totally under control now. Regarding scars.. just keep researching here. Look under the "What Has Worked Best" thread stuck at the top and see which ones you might be able to do. Your life has many beautiful things waitng for you. This I can totally guarantee!!!

Hey dude, know how you feel. I think everyone here does to. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. There are a variety of regimens and scar revision methods out there, all you have to do is find out which ones suit you and your skin type. Different people react differently to treatment. Like you, I too had oily skin. You know why? I dried it out too much. This in turn stimulated the overproduction of sebum and of course infection ensued. Once I started to moisturize and nourish my skin, my acne stopped in a matter of weeks. I'm 100% clear now. I don't use BP nor Accutane, all I do is keep a strict diet (no fatty foods) and keep my skin nourished and hydrated. Your skin type might be different so I don't know if my regimen would work for you, but you might want to try it. Fighting acne is pretty much a trial and error thing, once you find out what works for you, stick to it. With regards to scars, treatment also depends on what kind they are. For more shallow ones, chemical peels, smoothbeam or dermabrasion might be the answer while for deeper ones you may want to consider punch excision or punch grafting. This is where the scar is cut out and the skin is either stitched together or a graft of skin taken elsewhere from you body and "glued" on. Afterwards, any scars or discolouration is dermabraded or lasered off. Just make sure you do your excisions BEFORE laser or dermabrasion!! Hope this helped.

First of all - Please hang in there as things will get better. Most of us here can relate to what you are going through, so we speak from experience. If you are having suicidal thoughts, you should get help immediately from a psychologist or psychiatrist. Even talking to a friend or a relative can help sometimes.

For oilyness, Clinac OC is supposed to help a lot - look it up on a search engine to find out more info. Another less expensive option is Milk of Magnesia used as an oil-controlling mask a couple of times a week. You can get it in the supermarket. Blotting sheets are also very useful. There are some available at drugstores. Whenever you use the restroom, take a few of these with you. Tissues do work well too.

For your scarring, there are plenty of options out there. It takes a lot of time and research, but you should be clear of acne before starting to treat scars.... Accutane was the only thing that controlled my acne, as I had severe cystic acne, with major scarring. Before going on Accutane, you should consider all other possibilities. But if nothing is working, then do consider it. Other regimens include: Benzoyl Peroxide, Salycilic Acid or Tazorac. A Dermatologist will know best what should be used.

It can hurt when people say things about our complexions, but they do not understand what we are going through. Often times, they are not aware how hurtful the things they say are. If they do realize what they are saying is painful, then they are not worth your friendship. There are people out there who are much less judgemental.

Never stop hoping, and know that you may post here whenever you like and we will try our best to advise you.

SickofitAll--

I know how you feel man, acne has played a huge role in damaging my life. I, like you have suffered since 14 and am 18 now. I don't get much acne now (knck wood) but still have LOADS of pigmentation after accutane and don't heal very good now after taking it. I sometimes think suicide would be nice (take all my worries away) but hoping that one day I will be clear gets me through those times.

The worst thing I find is that I have to avoid so many foods in fear of braking out, while all these clear skinned people eat whatever they want!

Try an acne diet. www.acne-free.com has an excellent regime!

Think long and hard b4 you try Accutane. That drug can actually make your acne worse and your skin MORE prone to scarring...also there are so many side effects i dont have time to list them. In short, yes some people have good results with Accutane, there are also a lot who have very bad results and suffer from them fro years and years...dont take the chance unless you are scarring badly from acne. Even tho accutane can actually make you scar even worse and cause cystic breakouts when you take the pills.

hey....first you need to think about getting you acne under control if it isnt' already. Then do a little research on the type of procedures out there. For me I have cool touch sessions done with microdermabrassion but it costs a lot. It has help my scars and the best thing is there is no down time. I also uses skin biology's super cp. but i would recommend you to get the super cp now because it is cheap and it's good to use on acne prone skin. this helps me improve my overall texture. other promising procedures out there right now are needling, subcision, tca cross. All of these are listed on this board.

Having scars sucks and i really understand what your going through. do some research and see which treatments are right for your skin type ad scars. Besides...you said you are a positive person...then think about the advantages you have...you will have better response to treatments since your young and you have small scars which is also easier to treat.

I can relate here. Even though people give you compliments and such sometimes I only see flaws when I look in the mirror. I was so depressed yesterday because I'm just not getting quick enough results with what I'm doing and I'm still stuck with bruise like discoloration after almost 4 weeks since I had a vbeam spot treatment. The discoloration just seems to make it seem worse and I keep telling myself that it will go away, just give it a few more days. I could have gotten a co2 on parts of my cheeks for what I have spent. Although there are risks at least it would be over with sooner. There are some people who would probably say I'm too hard on myself. Oh well. I'm seeing results and trying to look on the bright side but it's hard. Sometimes knowing others are feeling the same things as you makes you feel a bit better. Knowing your not the only one experiencing these things. One of my new years resolutions was to stop thinking about my skin so much. I'm really trying here. BTW, have you tried the perfect complexion tca?? It may help you with superfical discoloration and small scars. You are so young and have so much time. Your skin will most likely get drier as you get older also you will be less prone to getting wrinkles. Some people tell me I look almost 10 years younger than my actual age. I'm thirty-something. I have also been taking Saw Palmetto as a supplement. It seems to have slightly made my skin less oily. Peace and Happy New Year.

retin a is bad stuff. I don't know anyone who has had success with it. it just causes bad breakouts and scarring. I would get off the stuff and either use botchlas regimen or the acne cure. if you need to know botchlas treatment go the over the counter message board. Good luck and God Bless you WILL get things under control. take a deep breath and don't let acne win or rob you of one more moment.

Thanks a lot everyone, maybe I dry my face out and that is why its so oily, but even that, I still think my face would be oily. One day I didn't do the tissue thing and by the end of the day my mom thought I had vaseline all over my face, I'm glad she said it tho cuz it made me realize how bad it actually is. I have tried that Clincac OC and it does basically nothing for me. I need to get my acne under control then think about treatment

I think I should get off Retin-A, I think my skin has gotten worse from using it... Accutane does reduce oily production correct? Maybe I should consider it.

Though I havent heard anyone discuss Puredeming intense gel, would it be good for hyperpigmentation?

Also could anyone let me know of an extremely gentle face wash, even more gentle than Cetphil

And I wish you all a happy new year!

retin a is bad stuff. I don't know anyone who has had success with it. it just causes bad breakouts and scarring. I would get off the stuff and either use botchlas regimen or the acne cure. if you need to know botchlas treatment go the over the counter message board. Good luck and God Bless you WILL get things under control. take a deep breath and don't let acne win or rob you of one more moment.

Sorry that Clinac OC didn't work for you.

Retin-A works for some, but not for others - Maybe it's just not for you. How long have you been on it? Sometimes it takes a few months to kick in. ...Accutane does reduce oil production, yes - but like some of us have said you should try other options first before considering Accutane due to the various side effects.... I'd probably ask your Derm about Tazorac - I have heard good things about it. Some say it's more effective than Retin-A.

PureDeming is supposed to be good for hyperpigmentation, but it is VERY oily stuff. I don't think I'd suggest that for you at this point. Instead, I'd try a weekly lactic acid peel if you can stand it. Make sure to do a small test spot first to make sure you are not sensitive to it.

Cetaphil is about the most gentle cleanser I know of. Purpose is gentle, but I think Cetaphil is more gentle than Purpose. It might be too harsh for you.

I'm sorry to hear you're suffering so much. We all understand what you're going through, if that helps.

You mentioned that your skin is so oily that it looks like you put vaseline on it. My sister said the EXACT thing to me. Like you, I tried clinac(nothing), and retin-a just made me oilier. The ONLY thing that ever got rid of my oil was tazorac. It doesn't work for everyone, but maybe it will work for you, because it sounds like we have similar skin. Only the 1% CREAM worked for me. They have a 5% (made me oily and break-out), and a gel(too harsh). The tazorac cream has a PH balancer in it, and made me less oily. It's worth a try before you try accutane.

I use retin-a now, because of its antiaging benefits, but Taz was the most effective topical for oil/acne I ever used, and believe me, I used them all!

sickofit all: Let me start by addressing your suicide issue. There was a fella around here who did kill himself recently over his acne and that has disturbed me more than just about anything else in my life and I didn't even know him. I am constantly thinking about this kid and it sickens me. Forget for one second that you may be kidding and think about those you leave behind. If you DID do it, it would be over for you, darkness and death, finality. However for the people who love you, friends, family and relatives, you will have ruined their lives, caused them depression and thoughts of failure for the rest of their lives. It's for the people you leave behind that you can't even THINK about it, if you are that depressed then do something about your skin or live in your room for the rest of your life watching TV and eating twinkee's. Even that sounds better than permanent death.

With regards to your excessive oilyness there is really only one choice, accutane. It is very powerful stuff, you cannot get pregnant while on it or impregnate a woman either, I dont know if you are male or female. It will reduce the oil production in your entire body which in extreme cases like yours, is a godsend. For people with less active oil production, it tends to work too well, causing dry eyes and chapped lips but, even if that does occur for you it sounds like a far better option that a "vasaline" looking face as you describe.

I am not a Dr just a person who is obsessive about everything and anything I get involved in and skin is my latest obsession. See a Dr and ask if it is right for you. Do a search on the net, even this site and see what people have to say about accutane. I personally have never used it but, I know several who have and they all are very happy they did.

Best of luck and if you ever have thoughts like that again, just come on an anonymous borad like this and rant, people love to help and even strangers care. Please dont be crazy, I couldnt stand to hear another horror story. Much Love, Nottoobad.

Accutane can cause serious depression. If you are already depressed it can cause you to become suicidal. visit this forum if you are even thinking of taking it...

www.ragforum.com

You are not guarenteed to have clear skin after taking it....and you may need more than one course. I have taken it and know of many others who have. It actually made my skin worse and made me scar....yes some people have posiitve results, but please realise that there are so many who do not.

Hey, dude, if you're on Retin-A Micro, then that is the first thing I would have suggested. I'm on it right now, and it's my "wonder drug"! I've only been on it for three weeks or so, and my complexion is really looking younger and healthier, and my orange peel texture has been "knocked down" to a noticable degree. My skin is less oily, and it is so much smoother to the touch.

This is my suggestion: stay on retin-a, but in the evening for at least a couple hours before bed, apply Super CP Serum copper peptides. Copper peptides are actually allowing me to use retin-a most every night because they are protecting my skin from the irritation from retin-a. I wash off the copper peptides after they've been on at least 2 hours, and then apply retin-a micro for overnight treatment. I truly believe that copper peptides are also playing a role in my improved skin. Get this, copper peptides also help to regulate oil production after continued use in some, including myself. Scars are being attacked by two of the best known topicals for scar revision. Sure, it's going to be a gradual process, but I think if you stick with it, you will be happy with the results. Someone else mentioned taking large doses of B5, and I have read that it works miracles for some, so why not try that before accutane?

Try not to scrub your face too hard or use astringents, as your body will usually just produce an "oil slick" in response!

Just to illustrate the difference copper peptides make for me, years ago I could only use retin-a micro every other night or every third night because of the irritation. Now, I basically use it every night, and my skin isn't even red the next day! Amazing!

Good luck and yes, PLEASE HANG IN THERE! You're always welcome to post on this forum and I look forward to hearing back from you that things are getting better!

VW

I just completely know how you feel...

my facial acne are not that bad but the OIL is unbearable.My glands are crazy,I wash my face and after like an hour or so I can litarally watch the oil slowly coming out of my pores.After 6-7 hours (if I can make it without washing my face) it's that vaseline effect you described.

I'm also on Tretinoin, but it hasn't reduced my oil yet.I'm seriously considering going on accutane.

The worst thing is that after I peel from Tret. my face is red and glowing and it's even worse.And people comment like "What's wrong with your face?" They think I'm sweating or something.They even touch my face to check what's wrong.And what am I supposed to say?I really can't bother explaining, so I just say I'm probabl ysweating because it's hot.

But comments like that are stuck in my memory and make me avoid those people.

Have you tried pantothenic acid(vitamin B5)? Up until about a year ago I used to have very oily skin too, but I'm so glad that after taking B5 that problem is a thing of the past.