Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vkn1

not cyst, but big, hard, bump

I've had cystic acne which was much deeper. Right now I have one of those hard bumps on my forehead, almost like there's a little pebble in there or something.

Are there any tricks to making these things go away faster.? I wanted to go on a first date next weekend and now I suddenly have this ridiculous thing on my forehead. I'm 30 years old so I feel too old to be looking like I'm sprouting a unicorn horn out of my forehead.

Sometimes these things can hang around for ages. I do not like the cortisone injections because I had a couple a long time ago and ever since I've had sunken areas in those places that I dont think would be there otherwise. Any tips on anything I can do to reduce the chances of this thing being a long-term pain in the ass?

Did it start as a hard bump or did it develop into one after being a cyst? Is it painful? Is it red? If it started as a cyst, OR if it is painful, OR if it has redness, try:

Wash your face only twice a day; if you wash more, you risk irritating your skin and causing a breakout. Use a gentle cleanser, but if what you're using now is working fine and your skin doesn't feel tight or dry after you wash, stick with it.

Treat that cyst with ice! That will reduce the inflammation in the first day of using ice. Wrap an ice cube in a paper towel or something to keep the ice from directly touching your skin. You can also wrap the ice and towel in a plastic baggie to stop drips. Hold the ice to the cyst for up to five minutes at a time, take it off if it is too cold for you. Hold on for five minutes, off for five or so, then on again for a total of 15-20 minutes. Do that three times a day. Do not squeeze a cyst that has no head. That might cause the cyst to rupture under the skin and spread its junk all around, making an even worse wound that takes even longer to heal.

Take ibuprofen or naproxen sodium. One or the other, according to package directions. Those are over the counter meds that can be found even in a grocery store. They are very adequate anti-inflammatories.

If you ice and use an anti-inflammatory, your cyst may resolve within a week.

Gentle regular exfoliation either mechanically or chemically will reduce cysts in the future. They may develop deep under the skin but they're still caused by a blocked pore. If the pores are unblocked and maintained that way, you're at less risk for developing cysts.

Thanks for all the advice. To answer your question, I guess I'd say it started off as a deep pimple if that means anything. And it has basically just grown. I think it has stopped growing and has never really hurt, but it isn't showing signs of going away any time soon. It has never surfaced. That is, the skin is just fine above it only that it protrudes because of what is underneath. But it was never as deep and soft/fluidy as the cystic stuff I had years ago.

Do you think that anti-inflammatories and ice would still help it dissolve or whatever even though it has seemingly sorta matured?

Thanks for all the advice. To answer your question, I guess I'd say it started off as a deep pimple if that means anything. And it has basically just grown. I think it has stopped growing and has never really hurt, but it isn't showing signs of going away any time soon. It has never surfaced. That is, the skin is just fine above it only that it protrudes because of what is underneath. But it was never as deep and soft/fluidy as the cystic stuff I had years ago.

Do you think that anti-inflammatories and ice would still help it dissolve or whatever even though it has seemingly sorta matured?

Yes, both will help reduce the swelling. Remember not to squeeze no matter how tempted you are. :) It will eventually just dissipate.