Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been on doxycycline to treat my acne since January and It has been working fairly well, but not ideally. I am not fully clear and I break out whenever I am stressed, I eat around the time I take my pill (you're supposed to take doxycycline on an empty stomach, which, If you take it exactly every twelze hours, leads to a difficult eating schedule), I get less than seven hours of sleep, I take the pill one hour after I'm supposed to because I forget, or I consume any quantity of alcohol (a little or a lot).

Needless to say, keeping myself from breaking out is a precarious balancing act. SO, I read up on some vitamins that might help me clear my acne. I started taking 2 or 3 1000mg pills of vitamin C spread out throughout the day. I would take them several hours after taking the doxycycline so that the two wouldn't interfere. However, my acne got significantly worse and I stopped with the vitamin C after three weeks. I tried the same with Zinc, taking one pill a day that contained 150% of my daily value, but I also broke out and stopped after 10 days.

My question is twofold. Did these vitamins break me out because I was on doxycycline (even though I separated my vitamin and doxycline intake by about 4 hours, which is what is recommended on my prescription) or did ingredients in the capsules - maybe the vitamins themselves - break me out? Also, I have been reading up on this fish oil thing and I was wondering if taking a few omega 3 fish oil capsules a day (not exceeding 3 grams) would have the same effect on my acne, namely make it worse, as a result of interference with the doxycycline?

THanks