Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cuppacake

retin-a micro experiences

It's been a while, so I really can't remember how long I was using Retin-A Micro. I stuck it out for as long as I could, but my face could not tolerate it. My face was constantly red, itchy and some spots developed weeping patches. I even cut back to every other day use and taking a couple of days off with no luck. I researched Differin which is a synthetic topical retinoid. I have been using Differin ever since, and have never looked back. Differin has caused me no problems, and keeps my pores functioning normally. I consider it to be an essential part of my own acne treatment regimen.

i am on it as we speak....broke out right away.....had a chem peel on dec 22 and havving one the 5th......

cleaning up as we speak rweally nice

face itches alot and dry as hell

plan on being clear by feb 1st so i can hop back on the gear

you have to be very patient and learn how to apply the right dosage. i've been using it for 2 months and had just one breakout.my skin is constantly peeling and the red marks are fading, but every week I have to stop using it for a day or two to avoid redness. my skin looks really better now.I haven't had a single cyst since i started using it and i hope to stay like this.

These replies sound encouraging! My son (age 17) has been using for almost 4 weeks now. The first 2 weeks he only used every other night, alternating with benzaclin. Starting the third week, he has been using every night, and benzaclin only in the morning. He is also taking mino twice daily. He was using the benzaclin and taking mino for about 2 months before starting the RAM. For the last 2 weeks, he's had a few more pimples, but nothing too horrible. Hopefully he will start clearing soon. He had a terrible breakout using Tazorac during the summer and he stopped using after 7 weeks. He wasn't using anything else with it. I was just hoping the RAM wouldn't do as much damage to his skin before seeing any improvement. Thanks for the replies!

Not to be discouraging but i was on retin-a micro for 6 weeks..the .1% concentration and my skin was 95% clear i was very happy until i used just a tad too much one night, just a tad, and woke up the next day with the area under my right eye blistered up very badly...Then it dried out very bad and now it is like a freaking callus. Retin-a is a good medicane but DO NOT use more than they tell you to, it screws you up. I stopped using it because there have been cases of people getting sebhoric dermatitis from retin-a, and i think i might of been on my way if i didnt stop because my face was red from it all the time. I found a new regimen that works awesome, and requires practically no work for me. Check it out under over the counter..its called the panto regimen

I really like retin a.

I've been using 0.05% for 5 months now. My skin is clear and soft. The red marks from the initial breakout have faded. My pitted scaring is no longer pitted but very shallow. I've also had N lite and subcision during this time period.

I use retin a one night and the next mandelic acid serum (10%). I think this combination works better than retin a alone.

I still do get flaky skin but only if I apply too much or don't moisturise well the next day.

ya i am still going Every day on retin A at nite....adter i clear up still gonna use it every other day and tapper dwon to every 3rd day ...

ive been usin retin-a, well its the generic brand tretinoin .05%, for over a month now, at night and azelaic acid cream in morning. I think the retin-a makes my skiny very oily at night after i apply it and i am not really happy with it. My skin does look somewhat better after a month and a half but i still break out pretty badly and i dont think the retin-a is helpin.

i made another apt. with my derm im gonna ask to switch to differin or somethin at night. What is the difference between differin and retin-a i see someone said differin is synthetic, retin-a is not? i like synthetic oil in my car so maybe differin is for me too.

My 17 year old daughter has been using RAM for about a month now, with very encouraging results. She did have some initial irritation and breakout, but with every other night use, that subsided. Is now on two nights, off one night.

She did have some flaking, which was bothersome to her under foundation, but when we switched her night moistuizer to Mary Kay Oil Free Hydrating Gel, there was vast improvement.

Her complexions appears musch smoother, far fewer closed comedones, and the improvement in inflammation is remarkable. Her period is due, which usually means cystic eruption...none! We are very pleased.

Derm also suggested ibuprofen 400mg-600mg twice a day starting a week before cycle to start to minimize inflammation. You amy want to inquire as to this regimen with your derm.

I appreciate this forum very much.

Deborah

i dident like retin a i feel it broke me out more in the end made me dry peely and flakey

im with njacobs on this one differin was alot better then retin a i was also on benzaclin that woked nicely tho it really really tightened up my face tho 2 the point where i couldent move it lol but it cleared me up somewat

Tazorac was also horrible for me i was on it for 3-4 mouths and ahh lol i gave up on all topicals all dairys and sugers and staketed takeing viatmins now im %100 clear go figure

Another mom here...my daughter (14) used Retin A micro for a long time (months) and never got over being red. Ditto with BP (Dan's regimen) and Tazorac. I'm talking tomato red with the BP, and blotchy red with Retin A and Tazorac. About a week ago she started using Plexion SCT. I wish some other people would try it and comment. It seems to really be working, and no redness. It's a sulphur based mask. You're supposed to put it on for 10 mins and wash it off, but we didn't fully read the directions at first, so she put it on and left it on all night. Next morning the bumps had definitely shrunk. It's been about 5 days, and I think it's working great. I wonder why it doesn't get prescribed very much. Ask the Dr. for a sample (purple and mint green tube) and try it out.

Hello,

I have been lurking on this website for quite some time and finally mustered up enough bravado to post – lol. This website has been like a godsend for me. I have acquired so much knowledge here. I am 24 and only recently (i.e. about a year ago) began developing acne – severe cystic acne at that. It is coupled with extremely mild hirsutism, but enough to implicate a hormonal imbalance (i.e. excessive production of androgens). Because of this website, I knew to visit with an endocrinologist and have blood tests performed, of which I have yet to receive the results. Anyhow, a couple of months ago, I began observing scars throughout my left cheek. I am not quite sure how to characterize them; there is an assortment of them – rolling, pitted, indented, huge pores, ice picks, et cetera. I have a rather moderate ice pick and a few damaged pores on my right cheek, but nothing relative to my left cheek. It has been five weeks today since I began applying 0.04% retin-a-micro (with much apprehension after reading the negative reviews on this website), and my initially moderate scars on my left cheek are now considerably shallow. I am pleased as punch with how well the scars are filling in and feel that this can be attributed to the retin-a-micro. I still experience acne, but it is becoming less frequent and heals quickly. I am consuming a gazillion vitamins and supplements (lol) to stimulate collagen for my scars and healing of the residual red/purple/brown marks which are peppered all over my face (presumably not pigment scars – though the distinction between these two are a bit muddled to me). My face looks absolutely horrid because of these marks. It is ironic – my acne is reduced, yet the marks provide the illusion that it is worse than ever. I must say, though, that the retin-a-micro does not appear to be fading these discolorations. In fact, it may have exacerbated them, though I have been informed from other persons that such an occurrence is normal (logic defying to me – lol). I think it is still premature to deliver a verdict about retin-a-micro and shall remain on it for an indefinite period. Anyhow, best wishes to all others on retin-a-micro! I am eager to read about everyone’s progress (or lack thereof)!

Angelina

I am of an olive Latin american skin type (light skinned hispanic like J-Lo complexion before the makeup and airbrushing)

skin type II - III.

I am using retin-a micro for over all skin improvement and anti-aging (haven't had acne for 10 years) and am concerned about HYPOpigmentation.

I am noticing on my forehead some slight blochiness of my skin. vitiligo like...

I was born with a vitiligo like birthmark on my belly button so this on my forehead concerns me. I have not noticed it before.

I remember in mid November I had some mat/brush burn there from wrestling, which scabbed up (thin layer). Today I looked @ it and the area is white. Not only that, I am noticing other areas of vitiligo like discoloration around the forehead hairline. (although not as severe as where the scab was) I am worried about this. Is it temporary? Could Retin-A micro have caused this? I stay out of the sun as much as possible. Is there anything I can do?

Is retin-a micro OK to use for my skin types?

Please any info would be GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS in advance