1. 1. Time taken to see a derm.

• 1 Week
    • 2 Weeks
    • 3 Weeks
    • 1 Month
    • 2 Months
    • 3 Months
    • More Than 3 Months

Hello my fellow UKers. Okay, so i've got an appointment with my GP on the 30th May and i'm really hoping to persuade her to get me referred to a derm to get on the tane (BTW, I live in London). I just need a rough idea of how long it took you guys to get referred to a dermatologist to ease my mind and also so that I can make up my mind whether or not to go through the NHS or privately. Thank you all. Cheerio! :)

(Brace yourself)... When my doctor referred me, she said it could take up to 4-5 months on the waiting list before I got see my derm. Eek, I said.

It really does depend on your dermatologist, some don't seem to be that bad but other's (like mine :doubt:) have a ridiculous patient-dermatologist ratio. I actually decided to go private in the end, as I just couldn't wait that long. It was horribly expensive, but it was worth it to save my skin and my emotional state from further damage.

Just a tip, if you do decide to go privately... ask about switching back to the NHS straight after getting on accutane; that way, you'll only have to pay for the initial consultation and the first few visits/blood tests and whatnot but you'll have skipped past the waiting list, as once you've started the drug they're required to keep seeing you at regular intervals. That'd be the best way to go. I'm not sure how helpful you'd find your derm/doctor about sorting all that out for you, but I was lucky in that mine actually helped me switch back to save money.

Hopefully though, you'll be lucky in that the waiting list isn't too long and you won't end up having to fork out to go privately. If I were you I'd just wait until you see your doctor to find out about how long it'd be likely to take, and then have a think about it depending on what she's says. Do mention about the going private and then switching back to the NHS thing, she may be able to help you sort out a plan to go down the cheapest and quickest route.

Good luck with everything!

like sizfeetunder said, it takes a while on the NHS

mainly because you need a referal from your doctor (he or she writes you a letter which you have to stamp and post to the hospital)

then you wait for a reply (usually 2 months time) and the reply tells you that they have recieved your letter and they will proecess you soon. Then about a months times, you recieve another letter telling you you have an appointment with the dermatology clinic in 2-3months time.

However (this is what i did lol) when i got my appointment for 3 months time, i foned the appoinemts line at my hospital (you cant fone teh dermatology department directly, but u go to the main appointments line). They will ask you for you hospital number, name and adress.

Then you make up an excuse like "ah er.....i cant make my appointment on that date, so can i have one closer?"

then they are likely to offer you many different dates before your original appointment date (get one as early as possible) and then once you have confirmed the new appointment date, they will send u a letter to confirm :)

good luck

Cool, thanks for the advice guys. How do you go about going private? Did you go with BUPA? I want to get on tane ASAP. My skin is getting super oily and i'm not taking Mino anymore - i'm getting really bad headaches!

After my gp referred me (after 5 yrs of tryin antibiotics/topicals) it took 5 months to actually get to see the derm. He gave me 10-15 mins of his time. Said Accutane is too expensive so only kept for serrious cases (which is fair enough if they only have a limited amount the really serious conditions need it more than me) and prescribed me retin-a.

Waist of time and worry. You will not get accutane on nhs in britain unless your in a really bad way.

After my gp referred me (after 5 yrs of tryin antibiotics/topicals) it took 5 months to actually get to see the derm. He gave me 10-15 mins of his time. Said Accutane is too expensive so only kept for serrious cases (which is fair enough if they only have a limited amount the really serious conditions need it more than me) and prescribed me retin-a.

Waist of time and worry. You will not get accutane on nhs in britain unless your in a really bad way.

Got a recommendation for a private derm through an acquaintance, called him up, had an appointment in less than a week.

My mum works in the NHS, so after the referral from my GP, I saw my derm pretty quickly... was nearly two years ago so can't remember for sure, but was about 2 weeks I think.

However, my derm waited until my skin was in a terrible state before prescribing Roaccutane, so be careful and good luck :)

It took me 9 months with my GP prescribing me anti biotics and all sorts of creams. Then i was referred to a dermatologst on the NHS and had to wait 2 months untill after christmas, which turned out to be a waste of time because he gave me another topical cream that made my situation worse. I then went back down to my GP and made it quite clear to him that its taken me almost a year of treatment which is making it worse everything new i try,

''why cant i just have accutane''!.

He then referred me to another dermatologist which i had to wait 2 months again, but this time he mentioned in a letter to the new dermatologist i wanted accutane. And im so glad i got it finally. almost a month into it now and i wish you luck in your search for some tane :)

''How hard is it to get some fucking drugs round here?'' lol

WOW, 9 months!!! Sorry, but that takes the biscuit :). I'm definitely not waiting that long lol.

''How hard is it to get some fucking drugs round here?'' lol

im in a similair situction but i now how it works as i used to work in a dermatology department and it will take 4-8 months depending on hospital waiting list.the doctor i new doesnt see privately anymore and im going private with someone else,will pay 160 for consultationthen 130+ any meds for follow ups,its alot but if i have follow ups once a month it wont be so bad.i mean well what choice do i have,dont no if um going to do as my acne mild but it wont respond to any thing of gp so far.have had roaccutane 3x in past.twice when i worked in the department,and they gave to me as acne moderate but persistant.

im in a similair situction but i now how it works as i used to work in a dermatology department and it will take 4-8 months depending on hospital waiting list.the doctor i new doesnt see privately anymore and im going private with someone else,will pay 160 for consultationthen 130+ any meds for follow ups,its alot but if i have follow ups once a month it wont be so bad.i mean well what choice do i have,dont no if um going to do as my acne mild but it wont respond to any thing of gp so far.have had roaccutane 3x in past.twice when i worked in the department,and they gave to me as acne moderate but persistant.

each time it comes back milder and in remission for about 1-2 yrs.