Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jcp9

Help! Titanium Dioxide a safe ingredient in Sunscreen?

Hi, I posted earlier about not wanting to get a white face from my moisturizer while on a snowboarding trip. Well, I think I figured out what I'm gonna do, I think I'm just going to use a sunblock lotion as a psuedo-moisturizer so I don't get a white, milky face while I'm on the slopes. But I ran into some issues: I went and compared some sunscreens designed for people with sensitive skin, and got it down to the Coppertone Sensitive Skin stuff and the "Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock Lotion SPF 30." I picked the Neutrogena, but I noticed that the main ingredient is "9.1% Titanium Dioxide." This is the only active ingredient. Does anyone know about this or if it'll break me out? The bottle says the sunscreen is non-comedogenic, but I don't want to risk it. I'm leaving in two days and am frantic about my skin right now lol. A response would be awesome! Thank you.

Titanium dioxide is the strongest UVA protectant so I read. That is what mainly makes the lotion so white. Most sunscreens have this as the active ingredient. Whether if it will break you out or not it's hard to say.

Some people say it breaks them out but some say it doesn't. I'd been using Neutrogena's pore refining moisturiser with titanium dioxide with no noticable problems.

Here's a page that explains sunblocks:

http://www.light-ray.com/skin_care/wrinkle...ction_solar.htm

Yeah, the Coppertone one had Zinc Dioxide, but I remember this being an ingredient in some sunscreen that I used about two weeks before the breakout that started this whole mess sad.gif . I think it may have contributed, so I stayed away from it.

Titanium Dioxide falls under the "pigments" classification on the Sage Skincare website. On a scale of 0 to 5 (5 being the worst), Titanium Dioxide rates a "0" in terms of being comedogenic, and a "0" for irritantcy. Sounds good to me...

Yeah, lol, on my brother's answering machine he does this impression of ahhhhhnold and is like "Dis is de goooovehnator," so my Uncle got him this shirt that has like the state seal on it, and it's like "The Great State of Kahlyfohnia." lol. biggrin.gif