Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dirge

So my boss asked me today...

So my boss asked me today if I was wearing my contact lenses. I get free contacts through my job, because I work for an optometrist.

That put me in an awkward position, because I half-expected him to ask for them back.

I won't wear contacts because of my acne. I "hide" behind my glasses. Up until today, my skin was clearing up pretty well (thanks to Minocycline) and I was about ready to go back to contacts, but today I had a pretty ugly breakout (my period, maybe? I dunno).

So I was candid, and told him why I wasn't wearing them, and he laughed, and that was the end of the subject. Didn't help that I had a big honking infected whitehead right under my nose, UGH. (That's like, for me, the WORST place to get a zit.)

But is anyone else here like that, using devices like glasses to hide your face? I get free contacts and I refuse to wear them because of my skin. It's ABSURD. Meh. I hate my face.

I CANT WAIT to go back to contact lenses. Accutane is forcing me to wear these thick glasses and I feel kinda embarrassed [talk about insecurity =D]. The glasses make me look nerdy, and although i have gained some confidence back from better skin, the glasses are off-setting it. I will never win!

Guest The Effendi

I have thick, '60's styled bangs, that were to cover up my forehead,

but I don't break out on my forehead anymore :doubt:

I say wear your contact lenses!

I used to hide behind my glasses too, but I got so frustrated with my glasses. I got contacts so the world can see how I'm coping with my acne. I'm tough, I won't hide. You like me or you don't.

I ran out of contact lenses, ironically, when my skin started getting really bad this past October. For whatever reason (laziness mostly) I wore my old, crooked and unattractive glasses full-time for about four months. Then, finally, I went to the optometrist and got a new contact lenses and a new pair of glasses I actually like. I rarely wear glasses because I hate having to always push them up on my nose and the feeling of them on my ears.

But anyway, I really advise you to ditch your glasses and just wear contacts. Or just wean yourself off of wearing glasses. I think you might surprise yourself.

I'm a bit confused. Do you mean that the glasses physically hide your acne, or that they distract from your acne? Either way I reckon you should try the contacts, get your hair styled and some new clothes and walk into work looking like a million bucks :D. No one would give your acne a second look.

I guess they distract. I don't like my face being so out there. I guess I hide behind them too; although they're not that huge, I think people see glasses before they see a person, and this person has acne.

I'll try the contacts. x) I'm just uber shy about my face.

So my boss asked me today if I was wearing my contact lenses. I get free contacts through my job, because I work for an optometrist.

That put me in an awkward position, because I half-expected him to ask for them back.

I won't wear contacts because of my acne. I "hide" behind my glasses. Up until today, my skin was clearing up pretty well (thanks to Minocycline) and I was about ready to go back to contacts, but today I had a pretty ugly breakout (my period, maybe? I dunno).

So I was candid, and told him why I wasn't wearing them, and he laughed, and that was the end of the subject. Didn't help that I had a big honking infected whitehead right under my nose, UGH. (That's like, for me, the WORST place to get a zit.)

But is anyone else here like that, using devices like glasses to hide your face? I get free contacts and I refuse to wear them because of my skin. It's ABSURD. Meh. I hate my face.

It's funny actually, I think had the opposite reaction ... I wore my contacts when my face was the worst because I DIDN'T want to draw attention to my face and I feel like my glasses do that. Now that I'm a little more clear (not perfect, but a lot better), i wear my glasses all the time.

Either way though, i can definitely understand the way that you're thinking ...

LOL... The thing about hiding behind your glasses...it's too funny. Even though glasses are so small physically, I can kind of relate. In fact, when I first got glasses about 5 years ago, I remember it feeling like I was talking through a brink wall when I was wearing them. I used to actually lift them up to converse with someone so I could look 'em in the eye!

When I first got glasses I didn't particularly like them... but these days, it's an entirely different story. I LOVE my glasses and think glasses are SO COOL! (yes, I'm a total geek)

That's funny .... I know exactly how you feel. I have worn glasses full-time for the past 10 years or so. Partly because I liked the style and felt it gave me a sort of intellectual, funky vibe. But I was also hiding too! I'm getting married in a few months, and I figured I shouldn't wear my glasses for the wedding so I just went in for contacts. It was really weird wearing them at first, but I've realized that my skin actually looks better without the glasses! I don't suffer from acne so much anymore, just a bunch of scars. I noticed that the glasses were casting shadows on my face that was actually making some of the scars look worse! So now I am totally wearing my contacts and loving it. But I definitely felt "exposed" at first. But now I also love having full peripheral vision! :surprised:

I hate wearing glasses cuz I hate having something on my face all the time. I also notice when I wear glasses that I tend to break out on the bridge of my nose where the glasses sit. So I avoid glasses because of my acne. I even avoid sunglasses, although I need to wear them sometimes.

Plus my eyes are my best feature, so I don't want to hide the one thing I like on my face...

Hmmm...while I don't "hide" behind my glasses, I love them. I have thick black frames and a cool shape and I think they give me style.

Yes and no.

My glasses aren't big enough to hide any acne I get and I just don't feel comfortable wearing them unless I'm watching a film or at a football match.

However, I'd really like contact lenses but when I look in the mirror with my glasses on I look like shit hahah. I'm happy being ignorant, even if a little less able-sighted!