Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm trying to tweak my diet to be healthier, and while eating lots of fruit and salad is relatively easy, I think I need to get a bit more protein in there. I know meat will do it, and I often have meat with dinner - but are there any quick little things you guys grab for protein during the day? I know nuts would be good for this, but they also have a lot of fat and Omega 6, which I'm trying to avoid. Besides meat and nuts, anything else high in protein?

lots of fish which is very expensive but you don't have a choice unless you can tolerate lots of legumes (beans) or have no sensitivity towards dairy products

eggs have the same issues as nuts/seeds

yes i'm frustrated about this as well, i would love to eat lots of nuts+seeds+eggs for their other benefits as well

Kefir; it has pretty much the same proteins in milk (a little less, I think, but only a bit) and it's much more digestable because bacteria has broken some of it down already. Fish is good too. They are both inconvenient, however, and somewhat of a hassle if you want to eat them fresh, especially if you are constantly on the go.

-cheese (cheddar, feta/blue cheese/cottage cheese on a salad; any other kind you like - raw is best, but not necessary)

-goat cheese spread on cucumber slices

-nuts (don't be so paranoid about fats)

-left-over chicken pieces added to a salad; any other leftover meat. I sometimes eat leftover steak or sausage with cheese and mustard

-hummus - dip your veggies in it

-baked tofu

-yogurt

-sardines

-quality beef jerky

1. Frozen pre-cooked meat. Depends on the area. I'm lucky enough to have a store that sells high quality frozen meat at a reasonable price. Takes about 3 minutes to cook.

2. Again, another neat product from the same store, is skim milk. Except they've taken out all of the lactose, so it's pretty much just a creamy casein/whey drink. Optimal source of protein.

3. Eggs.

4. Protein bars made of primarily milk protein isolate. You won't find many of these in stores. Most store bars are soy based. You'll have to search for these online.

There's really not anything else you should focus on for quick protein. The above are by far the best sources. It's always good to eat a variety of fruits, veggies, and nuts, but not for the protein. Soy based protein is pretty poor quality stuff.

If you are fine with dairy products, they're your best bet. I love whey shakes. One scoop in water and your set.

Egg whites on whole wheat + a whey shake and an apple. Quick/fast/cheap/delicious/wholesome and pure =)

Again, if you are fine with dairy and wheat.

Alternatively you could also try baked beans along with the other foods mentioned. Their a source of protein (depending on the brand) and fiber, and taste pretty good on toast with some cheese (also low in fat, once again depending on the brand though, we buy watties but I don’t no if you can buy that brand where you are).

Kippered fish. Lower on the food chain. canned so they last long. Good potassium/sodium ratio. Tasty flavours. 18grams protein per serving. Each serving(Can) costs about $0.75.

Not as cheap as trueprotein.com but still good.

lots of fish which is very expensive but you don't have a choice unless you can tolerate lots of legumes (beans) or have no sensitivity towards dairy products

eggs have the same issues as nuts/seeds

yes i'm frustrated about this as well, i would love to eat lots of nuts+seeds+eggs for their other benefits as well

did i say that omega 6 is NOT essential in your diet? No i did not

is it essential to be consuming 25 + grams of it every day ? probably not unless you are compensating with omega 3

as for free ranged eggs resulting in supposed higher omega 3 content my folks bought some and i took a look at the nutritional facts

per egg

0.7 grams omega 6

0.5 grams omega 3, only of which 0.1 grams is actually DHA

so if i eat two of those per day i have to compensate with another 4-5 pills

so many people remove saturated fats and trans fats from their diet and honestly believe they are living a healthy life while consuming heavy amounts of nuts, seeds, oils, eggs, etc.

hell yes nuts/seeds/olive oil/etc. are a "natural food", that doesn't mean you should be eating more than a small amount of them each day

every damn person should be either supplementing with fish oil or consuming fish on a daily basis

omega 3 the forgotten fat ? yes it is and no i'm not talking about worthless ALA

if the damn omega 6 wasn't in excess in EVERYTHING (except fish) it would be way easier to balance this whole problem without pulling your hair out in frustration