Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
help3

Will the regimen slow the progress of growing out of acne?

I kinda woried i will have acne longer then i normally would if i didn't do the regimend...

Also, will i have worse acne then before if i stop? (and had the breakouts behind me?)

There's no reason why BP should cause you to grow out of acne later than you would if you weren't using lots of BP, but I'm not going to claim it's impossible. Frankly, so many people who have been successful with the regimen never use the acne.org boards in the first place or stop posting once they've learned how to do the regimen properly, so there aren't too many stories about long-term users here quitting. The people who are most likely to be concerned about breaking out badly once they stop the regimen are also probably the people with the more stubborn, moderate rather than mild cases of acne, and they might never even grow out of acne no matter what. I wouldn't really worry about what will happen when you stop the regimen in deciding whether to start it, though, since even under the assumption that you won't grow out of acne if you stop the regimen, you'll at least have given yourself some good, clear time, as a opposed to time when you would have had acne indefinitely, who knows how much scarring it could have caused. I would like to go off of the regimen eventually and use a less involved skincare routine, but I'm in no hurry to do so, and in the meantime I've been quite happy with my skin and with my appearance, much happier than I have been since I started getting acne, so I'll keep up the regimen for a good while longer.

My personal experience is that all these washes and peroxides and all the other manufactured shit i've put on my face for years has kept me with acne for years. The day i stopped was the best decision i ever made.

My personal experience is that all these washes and peroxides and all the other manufactured shit i've put on my face for years has kept me with acne for years. The day i stopped was the best decision i ever made.

did you grow out of acne? otherwise how are u treating your acne?

There's no reason why BP should cause you to grow out of acne later than you would if you weren't using lots of BP, but I'm not going to claim it's impossible. Frankly, so many people who have been successful with the regimen never use the acne.org boards in the first place or stop posting once they've learned how to do the regimen properly, so there aren't too many stories about long-term users here quitting. The people who are most likely to be concerned about breaking out badly once they stop the regimen are also probably the people with the more stubborn, moderate rather than mild cases of acne, and they might never even grow out of acne no matter what. I wouldn't really worry about what will happen when you stop the regimen in deciding whether to start it, though, since even under the assumption that you won't grow out of acne if you stop the regimen, you'll at least have given yourself some good, clear time, as a opposed to time when you would have had acne indefinitely, who knows how much scarring it could have caused. I would like to go off of the regimen eventually and use a less involved skincare routine, but I'm in no hurry to do so, and in the meantime I've been quite happy with my skin and with my appearance, much happier than I have been since I started getting acne, so I'll keep up the regimen for a good while longer.

Yes i know this gives me a clear time, however, my acne is mild. I exercise every day, i almost don't eat any sugar, i get enough sleep.. and most of my face is clear.. I'm using the regimen just for 1 part of the face (my chin) because i allways have 1 or 2 big red bumps there...wich started scaring.. and i tried everything, so i decided to do the regimen... i'm on week 1 now, and although it's going ok, i'm scared i may never have a clear chin in my life without doing the regimen... (i also have more moderate back, shoulder and chest acne wich i use bp 10% on..)

Is there none who got off the regimen and grown out of there acne whos still here on the board?... am i making a right decision going on the regimen?

Guest WhiteWater

I think if your acne is worse than average its better doing something about it rather than leaving it alone.

The emotional effects alone can be highly damaging.

Acne is hormonal.

The only proven link to diet is that a restriction of calories reduces sebum and thus acne. This is impractical long term, especially socially in Western culture.

The other proven link is stress.

Genetically some people can generate higher levels of hormones than average given the Western conditions. These people suffer outbreaks more than average for most of their lives.

Saying I eat healthily means nothing, its how much you eat.

The much cited acne free hunter gatherers have followed a low calorie diet ALL of their lives!

If you have been eating a Western diet up to and beyond puberty the damage has been done, your body will be bigger taller and produce more testosterone and other hormones. Its a crap game genetically to what your hormone levels are. 70-80% of Westerners suffer acne to some degree into adulthood. Looking around at my work colleagues even the people with the most amazing skin get a zit or quite a few now and then. I noticed this especially this week as we are under stress for a deadline. Everyone had oily skin with the odd zit!

I know i need to do something...

So nobody knows to really answer my question?

Cool as kim deal has answered your question, and everyone around here takes stock in what she says. Now it is up to you to decide how you want to approach it. Either treat it the regimen way -- 2x/day w/gentle cleansing, a fair amount of BP, and moisturizer -- or find some other way you want to go about it (or not go about, as with mr d rok). The next thing would be to read-read-read these message boards inside and out to find answers. There are tons of opinions and experiences around here, both with and without BP and other medications (or even no products). As a last resort, and if you're truly concerned, see a dermatologist. However, I think the first poster to your question hit the nail on the head!

Cool as kim deal gave a real nice explanation on her thoughts about my question (thnx CAKD)

However, she's not sure...

Maybe i said it wrong, what i'm saying is, are there people here who do know it for sure?

I would like to hear more thoughts about it...

That's not a bad thing is it?

I guess the point is, no one is sure. Also, everyone reacts differently to everything (short term and long term). In the end, you'll have to make a decision on how you want to go about treating your acne, or not treating it, but no one will know what the end result will be for you.

Does that make sense?

Cool as kim deal gave you one end of the spectrum, mr d rok gave you the other, but because of this uncertainty, your question is difficult to answer and that may be why more people aren't responding.

help3, I don't think there is anybody here who knows for sure, and if someone does come up who claims to know for sure, I would question their agenda. I have not read any abstracts that mention BP prolonging active acne or to the contrary, this just isn't researched. Even the natural skincare people who like to hate on BP by posting unsubstantiated claims about it causing cancer in humans so that they can sell their own blend of plant extracts don't mention not being able to grow out of acne as a side effect, though, and they take any negative about BP use they can find so as to market their own products. The only evidence one way or another I can find is anecdotes about people trying to go off the regimen, and I explained earlier why that wasn't going to be reliable.

It's definitely your choice about whether to continue with the regimen or not. You can look into other skincare routines if you want to outright eliminate the possibility of prolonged acne from BP treatment, but that will admittedly put you back in square one in the search for a good acne treatment. I know my choice has been to keep up the regimen because I'd rather be clear and happy with products on my face than broken out and depressed using nothing, even if that means that stopping using products in the future will leave me broken out (actually, just like it would now).

Thnx for explaining CAKD, so nobody knows and it's different for everybody...

Meh, i'm going to take the risk and will go on with the regimen....better a clear skin now then having red bumps and some scars later.

Feels good to have control over my face for once =)

agreed... i'd rather take some time in my life doin the regimen than having horrible acne that made my self-esteem crashing down

(like i said before, if you are worried about using a lot of BP, just cut some BP off your regimen... i use thin layer in the morning b/c its too drying but i kept my acne under control for past month)