Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AutonomousOne1980

isotretinoin? how natural is it to our bodies?

its funny how accutane is sometimes refered to as a toxic drug When in fact 13-cis retinoic acid is already circulating through your body.but i do uunderstand its reputation and is fully justified but not always fully understood.

Even to think that we can take it in a pill and our bodys will absorb it and take it in and know exactly what to do with it, is quite a testimony to its natural functionality.And the fact it actually improves physiological functioning of the sebaceous gland.Taking a substance that your body doesnt like would never result in improved functioning.

Its almost as if isotretinoin is the equivalent to a diabetic taking an insulin shot. your body knows exactly what to do with it but take too much and you will hurt and/or kill yourself.

So the only danger that seems to exist is taking too high a dose and causing bad side effects and since some of the good changes can be permanant i could also see how some of the bad changes could also be.

Either way when its used correctly it improves the functioning of your body and that makes it a miracle substance while at the same time potentially dangerous but then isnt everything?

water is healthy and your body cannot function without it,but drink too much and you can kill your self, and the same goes for taking synthetic vitamins in pill form.

even too much saturated fat in your diet will give you heart disease but we still eat it every day its all about the right amounts.

Well, I agree for the most part. But, even if the chemical is foreign your body still has the ability to process and remove it. Your body has a bunch of enzymes, most of them in the liver which react with a broad range of compounds. Most notably are the cytochrome p450 enzymes which come in a handful of different "flavors" and process a ridiculous number of natural compounds AND drugs. Many of these enzymes aren't substrate specific, and each enzyme can react with all sorts of compounds, often more than once before it leaves the body. Your body's detox system is obviously very complicated and can have whole classes devoted to it for sure. What I learned in one of my pharmacy classes which I thought was cool is how taking certain drugs can alter the metabolism of other drugs. Some drugs either speed up or slow down the rate of an enzyme. If another drug uses that same enzyme, your body might excrete it too fast or too slow. this is a big concern since it can cause alot of drug reactions.

Well, I agree for the most part. But, even if the chemical is foreign your body still has the ability to process and remove it. Your body has a bunch of enzymes, most of them in the liver which react with a broad range of compounds. Most notably are the cytochrome p450 enzymes which come in a handful of different "flavors" and process a ridiculous number of natural compounds AND drugs. Many of these enzymes aren't substrate specific, and each enzyme can react with all sorts of compounds, often more than once before it leaves the body. Your body's detox system is obviously very complicated and can have whole classes devoted to it for sure. What I learned in one of my pharmacy classes which I thought was cool is how taking certain drugs can alter the metabolism of other drugs. Some drugs either speed up or slow down the rate of an enzyme. If another drug uses that same enzyme, your body might excrete it too fast or too slow. this is a big concern since it can cause alot of drug reactions.

Isotretinoin is natures answer to acne and oily skin. It targets and resolves the 3 main causes of acne - Excessive oil production, abnormal skin cell shedding and keritinization.

It sickens me when people scare monger about this drug. There negative remarks are largely unfounded with over 90% of 2 million people treated experiencing very positive results, usually permenant.

What confirms my belief in it being natures answer is simple - no one knows how exactly it works. Roche developed this drug in the early 80's yet in the safety leaflet they admit not knowing how it actually works.

I firmly believe that its safer than Tetracyclines. I have been on several anti-biotics to cure acne and in fact they caused me more side effects than Accutane yet had little effect on stopping acne. Usually after 6 months treatment they would hold back the p. acnes bacteria effectivly for several months but then the bacteria would very quickly become resistant and make matters worse.

Accutane works perfectly, I enjoy the dry skin so much. Unpredictable, oily skin is very hard to live with.

I agree, accutane gets more bad press than it deserves. While not necessarily the safest drug, I think its far less dangerous than long term exposure to antibiotics. Those just throw your whole system out of whack

Isotretinoin is natures answer to acne and oily skin. It targets and resolves the 3 main causes of acne - Excessive oil production, abnormal skin cell shedding and keritinization.

It sickens me when people scare monger about this drug. There negative remarks are largely unfounded with over 90% of 2 million people treated experiencing very positive results, usually permenant.

What confirms my belief in it being natures answer is simple - no one knows how exactly it works. Roche developed this drug in the early 80's yet in the safety leaflet they admit not knowing how it actually works.

I firmly believe that its safer than Tetracyclines. I have been on several anti-biotics to cure acne and in fact they caused me more side effects than Accutane yet had little effect on stopping acne. Usually after 6 months treatment they would hold back the p. acnes bacteria effectivly for several months but then the bacteria would very quickly become resistant and make matters worse.

Accutane works perfectly, I enjoy the dry skin so much. Unpredictable, oily skin is very hard to live with.

my theory is that people with bad acne have a natural isotretinoin deficiency, since it occurs naturally in our bodies in a small amount.

kind of far fetched, but it's possible.

Yes this makes sense, its almost as if we have a defficiency and isotretinoin simply balances our system. Almost like the thread starter mentioned about the use of insulin in people with diabeties.

If you could imagine a low dose of isotretinoin being used all the time like insulin in diabetic people. I've read many stories of people being on low dose ISO for a long time (7years +). I know this is internet stories and not always to be believed but still, thats not to say they are untrue.

If regular blood tests where done, why could a long term low dose not be acceptable ?

Which would be more harmful to the body, long term low dose Isotretinoin or regular alcohol consumption ?

Think of the many hundreds of thousands who die every year due to alcohol. I've since totally stopped drinking while on ISO and may never consume alcohol again if I can resist the temptation.

I must have gotten my figures wrong, I was sure only 2 million people had been officially treated with Accutane since 1982 but I am quite sure i've read that only 200 people are reported to have ended their lives while on the drug. 200 people in the many millions of people who have been on the drug is such a small number its not even worth considering. Most likely they had clinical depression anyway and ISO simply tipped them over the edge, perhaps it wasnt working quickly enough for them or the IB from the drying out drove them mad ?

All I can say is, its working very well for me and has been the only thing that has ever had a positive effect on my skin. My quality of life has improved 10 times, never mind the skin improvement but for once the peace of mind that I can make plans and do stuff without worrying about my skin all the time. Simply just have to remember to keep taking the pills and it will continue to do its job....

I treat it like a friend, I show it a lot of respect and dont take to well to people bad mouthing it. If the treatment was taken away from me I would go totally insane, there is no way I could go back to living the way I was.

my theory is that people with bad acne have a natural isotretinoin deficiency, since it occurs naturally in our bodies in a small amount.

kind of far fetched, but it's possible.

Guest ~Wolfy~
its funny how accutane is sometimes refered to as a toxic drug When in fact 13-cis retinoic acid is already circulating through your body.but i do uunderstand its reputation and is fully justified but not always fully understood.

Guest WhiteWater
your body doesnt make alchohol so its a very foreign substance.

your body doesnt make alchohol so its a very foreign substance.

Actually bacteria in the body produces alcohol. So its not exactly foreign. Some of us are also gentically adapt (especially of Celtic ancestry) of handling large amounts of alcohol with little damage. Only 10% of alcoholics get liver problems, most liver damage occurs with obesity. Whilst I dont condone heavy drinking I think its rich when some fat person is telling people not to drink!

Very interesting thread. I had a similar thought about it. We take vitamins etc, so lose dose accutane cannot be that bad for you can it? The interesting thing i have found is that people with acne usually have other symptoms in common, like being succeptable (spelling) to warts, verucas and those tiny white lumps on corner of lips. Accutane clears all of this so surely theres more to than just to much oil, we must be lacking something in our body that naturally fights these things off. This thing were lacking could be isotretinion?

Very interesting thread. I had a similar thought about it. We take vitamins etc, so lose dose accutane cannot be that bad for you can it? The interesting thing i have found is that people with acne usually have other symptoms in common, like being succeptable (spelling) to warts, verucas and those tiny white lumps on corner of lips. Accutane clears all of this so surely theres more to than just to much oil, we must be lacking something in our body that naturally fights these things off. This thing were lacking could be isotretinion?