Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
needtobeclear

Aromaleigh vs. Jane Iredale

I am looking into mineral makeup and not sure which one to choose. I have oily/acne prone skin and am very pale. I also have alot of red in my face from my red undertones and acne blemishes.

I don't want the hassle of mixing 4 different kinds of makeup but want a shade that will look nice and natural.

I don't want to look extra oily during the day but I don't want to look like I have no life to my skin either.

ANy suggestions of which of these two makeups to go with?

Everything seems to break me out and I am fed up with reagular makeup so this is where I am going now.

Thanks.

I recently got my samples of Aromaleigh (I ordered baggie samples of 10 different shades of both powder styles), and I can tell you already that I like them better than any other makeup I've tried before, including Jane Iredale/Bare Escentuals/etc.

The mixing process isn't actually as stressfull as you'd think it is. When you order your samples, get the little jars (cheap) she sells for mixing powders in. Try the shade you think is closest to your skin color, and then just add a little more cool/warm/neutral powder in 25% increments to tweak it to just the right mixture. Keep notes of what you're doing, and when you get exactly the right color, you can work on deciding how much coverage you want my combining the different types of powders. Finally, check out your finished shade in different lighting, and adjust further if needed. Remember, you only need to go through this whole process once! If you keep notes, you can just have Kristen blend your exact formula for you the next time you order.

Also, definitely check out their forum -- VERY helpful and nice people there!!

I am a mineral makeup freak and have tried them all...Monave (www.monave.com) is the best. They will send large sample pots for MUCH cheaper then Aromaleigh ($10.00 gets you five sample colors INCLUDING shipping -unlike Aromaleigh - which runs at least $13.00 or more for just a few samples). Aromaleigh can get really cakey and tends to be chalky.

The second choice would be La Bella Donna (www.labelladonna.com) - but Monave has more color selection and is much less expensive. La Bella Donna is the ORIGINAL (first) minmeral makeup line - the pioneers - from back in the early 70's. It does not have as much coverage (not without some serious work) - but looks beautiful on when your skin is not acting up too much.

Lastly, I would recommend Youngblood (www.ybskin.com), great color selection (not as good as Monave - especially since Monave custom blends), but still really great makeup and colors and coverage. I wear all three of these (sometimes mixed with each other - and also separate). I am oily/acne prone in my 20's and am a professional entertainer - so I would not steer you wrong :-).

Hope this helps.

I am a mineral makeup freak and have tried them all...Monave (www.monave.com) is the best.  They will send large sample pots for MUCH cheaper then Aromaleigh ($10.00 gets you five sample colors INCLUDING shipping  -unlike Aromaleigh - which runs at least $13.00 or more for just a few samples).   Aromaleigh can get really cakey and tends to be chalky.

Thanks for the info. I just got my Jane Iredale samples and will try the monave and the youngblood. Where should I look to get samples of these?..just their website.. or is there a place cheaper?

For Monave go to this link: http://www.monave.com/samples.html or http://www.monave.com/purchasesamples.html - you won't find better or cheaper samples - Monave gives you much more than $5.00 worth - the additional $5.00 is for shipping. Compare this to what you spent on Aromaleigh...Tell Deb, at Monave that Tamira referred you. I am a repeat customer so she knows me...and they have excellent customer service.

For La Bella Donna - you must call Bergdorf Goodman (www.bergdorfgoodman.com) - ask for Luigi - tell them your color and undertones (do this for all of the samples from all lines) and suggest which colors from the website you think might match you. These samples are free.

For Youngblood go to http://www.dbellacara.com/ - or do a search on Dogpile.com for youngblood samples - you might come acrss something else.

Good Luck...

Jane Iredale does not provide much coverage and is very limited in color option in their loose (you must use pressed - which gives barely any coverage - even with her expensive Handi brush). It also has an ingredient that can sometimes cause you to itch.

Two more sites to try out: www.susanposnick.com (more good makeup) and www.makeupalley.com (check out their reviews of all mineral cosmetics...avoid Bare Minerals...:-)

OK - now I'm done...

You know, everyone raves about the mineral makeup, and I must be doing something wrong because I don't really see why. With the Jane Iredale, the consultant said to just brush on more to cover the spots, but when I did this I could CLEARLY see the spots that I was trying to cover...the more I brushed on the darker it was, emphasizing the areas I wanted to cover.

Do the other mineral makeups do this as well? Does anyone else out there wonder about the mineral makeup hype?

I am not sure either. I ordered the mineral makeup more for the fact that I need some coverage and something that won't break me out more. Everything I try seems to make me breakout. I haven't really found even a liquid makeup that covers my red marks good because I have such pale skin.

I tried the Jane Iredale samples today. I had to go with the lightest. It didn't really provide a whole lot of coverage. Like, I said, no different than

the other makeup I use.

I might try to mix some of the loose with some moisturizer or with the D2O that I ordered and see if I can do a more concentrated color. I would just put this on my red spots. Also, I bought a little eye shadow brush today that I might use as a concealor brush like she recommends.

~Smilingeys... do you use the flocked sponge? JI recommends this for heavier coverage. I think you can wet it and then dip it into the loose and tap on your marks???

Alot of people rave about Aromaleigh because it provides more coverage???

~smilingeyes... I tried the concealor brush (actually the eyeshadow brush I bought from Target) today. I sprayed some D2O on it which is a little oily and then dipped it into the loose minerals. I then applied this to my red marks. It worked alot better to concele my imperfections.

You might want to give this a try if just brushing the minerals over your face doesn't do the trick.

OK People!!! Here is the real!

*Please see my previous post for more information.

Mineral Makeup Mistakes (in response to some of your posts).

1. Use the Correct Brushes to Apply AND make sure you are using the correct color with the correct undertone. The trick here is a perfect or close to perfect match (not lighter, not a fake tan, just a match), with the correct undertones...You have either yellow, olive, golden, red, pink, or some combination of two or more of the above undertones. This is IMPORTANT!!!

Monave and Youngblood are good because they give you the correct undertones for each foundation color to help you choose and also offer decent samples for minimal cost. You really can't go wrong with either line when choosing colors - and my personal favorite is Monave because I found my PERFECT match with GREAT undertones in this line after quite some time spent with Youngblood (color range is good - but not great - due to sometimes odd undertones), and La Bella Donna (which is GREAT - but needs more shades with better undertones) before that. Monave's yellow based colors are really genuinely yellow based. They offer every type of undertoned foundation (and combos). If you are having a very hard time finding a match, it is likely because your makeup is not yellow toned enough.

2. Use ONLY a dense Kabuki or dense flat topped bronzer/foundation brush to apply mineral foundation. It is good to have both. Kabuki gives light to medium coverage - makes makeup look very natural. Flat top gives medium to heavy coverage (great for coverage, but be careful not to apply to heavily). Both give very even coverage and are relatively easy to use.

(See Links to Both Below)

I recommend the following brushes if you don't have one or both:

http://store.yahoo.com/skindeep3store/53.html (Flat Topped)

http://www.monave.com/brushes.html (Flat Topped & Kabuki)

http://www.japonesque.com/products.php?item=br_special (Kabuki)

http://store.yahoo.com/kevynaucoin/brushtemplate.html (Super Soft Buff Powder Brush)

ALSO - I could sware I already posted that Jane Iredale has MINIMAL coverage. If you have acne or hyper-pigmentation (dark marks) from past zits, DO NOT USE THIS LINE!!! Additionally, it can be irritating, as it has some unnatural fillers and one particular ingredient found in her line (and in a few others) that some might be allergic to (Bismuth oxychloride). If you start to itch when you wear Jane Iredale, this is why - God knows I do. And while I am not crazy about her makeup - her 'Handi Brush" is to die for when applying OTHER mineral foundations - whether pressed or loose.

I am quite the expert in mineral makeup. I have oily/acne prone skin, am mixed and therefore hard to match, AND a makeup artist in my past life before my present career, who has tried and bought them all. The best in order are:

Monave -

(Light to Heavy Coverage - Buildable - Best Colors with Realistic Undertones)

They will also custom blend foundation by request.

Youngblood - (Equal to La Bella Donna)

(Medium to Medium/Heavy Coverage - Buildable)

La Bella Donna - (Equal to Youngblood)

(Light to Medium Coverage - Buildable - The 1st Original Mineral Makeup)

Susan Posnick - (Bought In A Brush)

(Light to Medium - Buildable)

And THEN all others (because I would not buy anything else - including Aromaleigh - which I find harsh chalky looking with terrible color selection - even mixed). And Bare Minerals is the Anti-Christ of Mineral Makeup in my opinion for texture, bad pink based colors, and unatural fillers.

The most natural ingredients of all of these lines are in Monave and than La Bella Donna and Youngblood (who I believe uses some unatural fillers - but not many). The more natural the ingredients - the better for your skin (I am living proof after trying them all).

A Word to the Wise:

*Usually the smaller the company, the more likely that the colors were made using the complexions of real woman sitting in a chair getting custom blended by hand with ALL natural minerals that were hand blended by a pro.

*The larger the company, the more likely the mineral ingredients are questionable and the colors are random based on old colors from other lines - AND minority skin (latin, asian, african, ethnic European, etc. colors are terrible as they were an afterthought).

I hope this information helps you all a bit and again - read my other posts for more information and some great links. Mineral Foundation IS the best thing that ever happened for acne prone skni - but you must get it right...

I used to need tons of coverage, although since I started using Mineral Foundation and good skincare (Carley's Clear & Smooth Skin Treatment and All Natural Soap), my skin is looking much better, and I need less coverage.

Another wonderful source for mineral makeup reviews - including the lines that have been mentioned by many posters here is: www.makeupalley.com (productville). There you will find reviews for most of these lines - from good to bad. Find people who think like you and check out their reviews. It might be helpful.

To:

strawberries - good for you - let Deb (the owner) know that Tamira sent you. She is great about helping you pick colors and the samples are fantastic.

OK - I am done with this subject once and for all...I LOVE MINERALS!!!

~TheDivaSuite... thanks so much for the info. I have the two brushes that JI recommends for the loose and the pressed. I haven't really used the handi brush yet, as I only have loose minerals samples. Do you think if I went with another mineral line that these brushes will work just fine? I don't really want to buy more brushes.

I have found that the cool sand (cool.. pink undertones) and the bisque (neutral) pretty much work for me. I am very pale and when I put this on it blends in good. The problem is that I need some blush to add back some color, but haven't ordered any of that yet and REFUSE to wear regular blush.

....Anyway do you know what colors would coincide with those two that I mentioned in the Monave line? It's so hard to tell on websites.

...Any suggestions would be great.

Hi!

Because you are pale and likely have more pink or neutral undertones, You should order the light sample set (like the first four or five colors listed). Tell Deb (the person who sends the orders) what colors you wear in other lines and what your undertones are. I have a link to s Monave discussion site that might help you choose a color. Other Monave wearers who have switched from other lines (self included) tell what colors we wore in other mineral and general lines and what our undertones are - so that new customers can chooe samples and colors correctly. (Below)

http://forums.delphiforums.com/monave/mess...sages/?msg=58.1

Also, the Handi Brush works GREAT with loose minerals as well as pressed. I use it for for my loose foundation reguon days when I need heavier coverage (or in places wheere I need heavier coverage and do not feel like using a concealer brushlarly), or when I am in rush to get my make up on (it is more efficient than a Kabuki - applies even coverage faster with a little practice).

Hope this helps.

Tamira

PS: Monave and La Bella Donna make the prettiest mineral blushes by far - great tones - lots of options - and La Bella Donna even makes a cream mineral blush which I LOVE in color: Giovanna...try them both out (samples).

Is Monave's makeup matte? I see they only have loose foundation. Will that make me shiney? I am oily most days.

ohhh.. and I think I am pink undertone. But when I put on pink undertoned makeup it still makes me look pink. Would I want to counteract this with yellow undertoned or neutral?? The only problem is that makeup tends to turn orange on me.

Any suggestions would be great.. since you are the makeup expert! =D>

NO - Monave will not make you shiny. There is an ingredient called MICA that some mineral foundations use. It is NOT found in Monave. Monave will give you a healthy glow - but NO shine. I am extremely oily and acne prone. I think if you go to the links for Monave and for their forum that I already suggested - you will find your anwsers regarding color. You likely need a neutral toned makeup - since you are not yellow - yellow might look funny unless it is done just right...neutral has both pink and yellow tones...more realistic and closer to you skin tone - but you should write Deb about that on the forum (the owner).

Also, use a mineral finishing powder (loose - oil control). That will help if you are excessively oily like myself. Hope this helps.

Tamira

I am sooo curious about mineral makeup but I personally don't like looking too shiney or glittery. I used to only use powder as a foundation before I had a dermabrasion. It seems I need more coverage now. It seems though some foundations while evening out your skintone, seem to make scars more obvious. So, my question is : Which of the mineral makeups seem to look the least shiney or glittery?? The only reason I havn't tried them yet is I want to avoid that glittery look but love the idea of a powder foundation that offers some coverage. Thanks.

so, i ordered some Monave minerals powder and it made me break out and made me more oily,, still have mac studio fix as my number 1, sux cuz monave had better colors

I haven't ordered any other samples other than the jane Iredale. I looked at the monave, but the price of the full size powder was too expensive for me. I didn't want to try it and really like it and not be able to afford it.

Anyway, I orderd both the pressed and loose of the JI. The loose makes me shiney and look glittery. I really like the pressed. I end up oily throughout the day, but that is the same with any makeup I use.

I have been using the flocked sponge that I recently ordered on my red spots. It is giving pretty good coverage (the same as a regular concealor would).

The best part is I HAVEN'T BROKEN OUT AT ALL FROM JI. biggrin.gif/

I really like it and will probably stick with this.

The only problem I am having is getting my exact color. It seems I am a cross between Bisque and light beige. Both seems to work pretty good and I am wearing them on alternating days to see which one I want to order in full size.

I also ordered a blush (because when I wore the lighter powder it seemed to drown out the color in my face). Anyway, I ordered dubonnet which they say is the most neutral color. I really like it. You can wear it light or dark.

Anyway.. so far I am pretty happy with my Jane Iredale sample purchases and will be sticking with this for a while. biggrin.gif

Monave NEVER makes people break out...did you check out your moisturizer/toner/soap, etc. - (whatever you use with or just before the makeup)... Sometimes what you mix with certain mineral foundation is the culprit (from experience)... I do NOT work for Monave but I have used EVERYTHING else and the only thing that I like as much or almost as much is La Bella Donna (try $45.00 a pop) and Youngblood - (colors are not very yellow though - and I am NOT pink).

I have terrible skin - VERY oily and acne prone - and Monave has NEVER broken me out - nor has La Bella Donna or Youngblood - however JANE IREDALE GIVES ME A PINK RASH...and VERY little coverage to boot...and makes me shiney - and makes my golden colored skin look metalic.

MONAVE does NOT make me oily - (or most other people I know who use it). Jane Iredale DID!!! La Bella Donna is the best texture - but cost the most AND does not have enough colors that are NOT PINK!!!

Anyway - I tried to help... I have found my top choices - to each his own...but don't write something off in such a way that it may turn others off...

MONAVE is MUCH cheaper than Jane Iredale so that is a misprint. Her samples are cheap so you make the right color choice and her makeup is very reasonably priced (lower than JANE IREDALE, LA BELLA DONNA & YOUNGBLOOD) with much better colors than any of the above AND you get a ton of it. They also have great sales and discounts for repeat customers.

PLEASE TRY IT - and don't be swayed by one negative review...too many people have benefited from the great coverage, realistic colors, and it helpnig their acne prone skin - I am ONE OF THEM!!!

PS: I had a huge pinple on my cheek two days ago. I covered it with Monave (along with great daily skin care (Carley's clear & smooth) - and after wearing the makeup for five hours - this mountain of a swollen painful pimple had withered to almost nothing...talk about all natural with healing properties - tht is no BS.

Strawberries - you likely just have allergies that you do not know about...you should always check ingredient list...

OK - I am really done here...next discussion PLEASE!!!

When I went to the monave website and checked out the prices of their loose powder it said it would cost $25...sorry I misprinted the last time. I think it was La Belle Donna that I saw was $50 for loose. I have been able to find JI for about $30... which FOR ME is a good solution.

Strawberries~sorry the monave broke you out. There have been many things (makeup, cleansers, moisturizers, etc) that others have recommended to not break out skin, but had broke me out ... TO EACH HIS OWN.

EVERYBODY'S SKIN IS DIFFERENT.

If you don't like a product, don't use it. Find what works best for you.

I have found that I really like the JI and it is working good FOR ME.

I think there are alot of posts on this site that recommend differnt mineral makeups. It seems that the most benefit of them is that they help with inflamation which alot of us acne sufferers have. Although, some brands work better for others.

Strawberries~good luck in your search for the best mineral makeup FOR YOU!!!

yep, monave did make me break out. everyone's skin is different, i had not switched any other brands such as new moisturizer. monave also charged my credit card for 10$ when the reciept said 5$. i'm getting really curious .. that maybe u are working for them, which is not cool, people come on here to talk and comfort others dealing with acne, not get sold products. this is one place where we come for honesty, not sales people pushing there products.

TheDivaSuite

I'm curious about Sheer Cover www.sheercover.com. Have you tried it too? If so, what's your take on it?