Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dlt80

Bactrim Question

I've had problems with acne for 12 years (am currently 27), and this latest bout seems to be related to low estrogen. The dermatologist has whipped out the big guns: Duac am, Tazorec pm, and 800/160 Bactrim daily. I'm reluctant to go on the oral antibiotic for these reasons: I know from experience it's only a "band-aid" - I can't possibly take this forever! Plus, I don't want to develop resistant bacteria or suffer any side-effects (even if these are incredibly rare). Bactrim seems like a very strong drug to use for anything more than a serious infection that is threatening one's physical health (though my self-image is definitely threatened by acne). My gut says stick with the topicals, but I've got six bottles of this stuff, plus a derm's recommendation ... any input would be GREAT.

PS - I've posted here once before and really appreciated the good feedback. Thanks!

well, I've had a few cysts pop up recently and even a swollen lymph node on the back of my head. I went to the doc and was prescribed Bactrim. Sometimes antibiotics are necessary to fight off infection.

Bactrim cured my acne years ago......and I was prescribed it again recently..Only this time it did nothing....same with using Doxy for 6 months..I am back on Accutane..I was on it in 94 and it worked wonders.....

Bactrim cured my acne years ago......

So you were able to go off of it (for a while, at least) without you acne recurring?