Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ConnieinWV

Makeup on a budget? Any suggestions

Hi, nice to meet you all! :wavey:

I am new here. I have oily sensitive skin that breaks out and I am 40! I don't really have wrinkles which is good, but never thought I would still be breaking out at 40 years old!

So I need some good makeup on a shoe string budget, lol. What is the best value for my money? I can't use anything too drying as then I have oily spots and dry flaking skin, lol.

I am following some of the suggestions here and my skin is looking better already.

Just need some new makeup! I feel so much better if I wear a little when I go out! I don't need a lot. But matte medium type coverage I guess? Lighter in summer. I have light to fair skin. And light brown hair with highlights. No gray yet, lol. Not sure how! I never can do the color thing with clothes, makeup, hand bags, etc..

I am more a jeans and t-shirt gal. But like to look nice.

I know a little about makeup, but not enough! I have a 19 year old daughter who can do her mascara and eye liner much better then me! About given up on eye liner on the upper eye. I just can't get it right! :eh:

I like the natural look, but use lipstick and blush. I like a little shine sometimes.

Thank you. Have a great day.

Connie :angel:

If you are really on a budget, try Maybelline Pure Makeup....it's only about $5. They also have some pretty cheap powder blushes......I used that a few times even on Accutane....so it's not very drying.......

If you have a little more Almay has some affordable makeup. The Line Smoothing is nice and has light to medium coverage. I love Smart Shade, which has sheer coverage (and they are also coming out with a Smart Shade Blush)....the Almay will be a bit pricer than the Maybelline though.....look to spend about 13$ for a foundation....

L'Oreal owns Maybelline and has the marked corened with patents on their mascaras and mascara brushes.....try out some Maybelline mascaras.....they are cheap but great.....

My favorite lipgloss is from Kohls...it's about 10$, but Kohls always had sales....it's shiney but not tacky. It's from Flirt. They are also some cheap glosses from Neutrogena that are nice and shiney but not sticky. For lipsticks you can go with the ultra chepo ones like Wet 'n Wild or NYC color.....they are made by contract manufactures who often use the same formula for much more pricy brands....even some department store ones....

Try a bargin store like Walmart....they are usually a bit cheaper than drug stores......plus if you don't like the shade, you can return it....

Kohl's does make pretty nice lipgloss & lipstick.

For drugstore brands, I like Loreal for lip color, but their prices are getting to be like Sephora prices, around $12 for lipstick sometimes.

I also like MAX Factor Colour Perfection Lipstick. It wears really well & there's some nice shades. A little cheaper than Loreal or Revlon too I think.

Rimmel makes good eyeshadow, but their lip colors wear terribly, IMO. I also dislike Wet-n-wild for lipcolor, too gunky. NYC has nice blush.

Oh you don't have to give up on eyeliner! Is the look of a hard line on your upper eyelid to bold for you? I suggest blending the line with a Q-tip to soften the edges. Maybe try browns instead of blacks for a more natural look. Or you could just use a dark, matte eyeshadow color and line your upper lash line with an angled eyeshadow brush. Very soft and can look very beautiful too!

REVLON COLORSTAY! $12.99 U.S. at CVS and a bottle lasts me like two months. Lovely stuff, just lovely. I LOVE it. Did I mention that I loved it?

Rimmel makes good eyeshadow, but their lip colors wear terribly, IMO. I also dislike Wet-n-wild for lipcolor, too gunky. NYC has nice blush.

Wow, thanks. Posts move fast here! Cool. :cool:

I am writing this down. I do appreciate it. I will see what I can find. hmm, Kohls is one I will have to look for. I think they have it in the next county. I can look at most of the other brands here. Well one other one, next county! I want to move, lol.

Have a good weekend! My husband of 20 years is coming over. We are separated but trying to work stuff out. He has been staying at his parents for now. I think stress can break you out more! Wish me luck.

Wow, thanks. Posts move fast here! Cool. :cool:

I am writing this down. I do appreciate it. I will see what I can find. hmm, Kohls is one I will have to look for. I think they have it in the next county. I can look at most of the other brands here. Well one other one, next county! I want to move, lol.

Have a good weekend! My husband of 20 years is coming over. We are separated but trying to work stuff out. He has been staying at his parents for now. I think stress can break you out more! Wish me luck.

Rimmel Anti-Fatigue - light but good coverage that gives you a natural glow. About 8e in ireland, can probably get it online cheaply enough

I was at CVS today and noticed they are discontinuing the Loreal Cashmere foundation and the Stay Natureal compact foundation. I bought one of each and actually used both for a good finish. At first. with the Cashmere foundation, it looked a bit dewey , but set after a few minutes to more of a matte finish which I prefer.

If you are breaking out, I personally use the Clinique clarifying makeup in a tube. It has great coverage and I rarely get a blemish if I use this makeup regularly. It is around 19.50 plus tax but lasts a while.

So maybe you can check your CVS store and see if this cashmere by Loreal foundation is on clearance since it seems ok to me. I also bought the Stay natural blush in peachy something which for the first time in ages is a peachy blush which I like. It had alot of pink tones. Big container on clearance for 2.75. The Loreal Cashmere and Natural foundation compact were also only 2.75. Seems like a good makeup if you don't have alot of time for application since it blends well and is in a tube.

I just hope it doesn't break me out since I know the Clinique does not. Just some days, I want a lighter foundation than the Clinique.

^that reminds me, Eckerds always seems to have a lot of makeup in the clearence basket. Try looking there, too, for cheap items.

Rimmel Anti-Fatigue - light but good coverage that gives you a natural glow. About 8e in ireland, can probably get it online cheaply enough

I love this stuff. For the first hour.

Don't you find that after a while it leaves just shimmer on your face and no coverage? I was gutted abut this as Rimmel do a perfect colour match for me.

Dammit! I always hope powders won't be the answer. I am on 'tane mainly for body acne and powders just make my dandruff face look worse :(

Hi again.

I could not find most of that stuff here, I looked. I live in a rural town in West Virginia. I might be able to find more in the next county, when I can get there. Gas is so much too!

I really want to move!

I went to CVS yesterday, nothing like that and no sales.

Went to the new super Walmart not too far from here, they do not have those rimmel products. And the eye liner in black was sold out. :doh:

There is the Rite Aid I can check at. And KMart. I know they have the one foundation someone mentioned here, just so expensive.

We get everything last or not at all here! We have one of the most unstable job markets here in WV too. I so want to move!

My 19 year old daughter wants to move to Asheville, NC to take massage therapy classes there. But it is so expensive to move. But really really want to.

I can't order much either. I like to look at the colors if I can before I buy.

Thanks.

Connie

Hi, nice to meet you all! :wavey:

I am new here. I have oily sensitive skin that breaks out and I am 40! I don't really have wrinkles which is good, but never thought I would still be breaking out at 40 years old!

So I need some good makeup on a shoe string budget, lol. What is the best value for my money? I can't use anything too drying as then I have oily spots and dry flaking skin, lol.

I am following some of the suggestions here and my skin is looking better already.

Just need some new makeup! I feel so much better if I wear a little when I go out! I don't need a lot. But matte medium type coverage I guess? Lighter in summer. I have light to fair skin. And light brown hair with highlights. No gray yet, lol. Not sure how! I never can do the color thing with clothes, makeup, hand bags, etc..

I am more a jeans and t-shirt gal. But like to look nice.

I know a little about makeup, but not enough! I have a 19 year old daughter who can do her mascara and eye liner much better then me! About given up on eye liner on the upper eye. I just can't get it right! :eh:

I like the natural look, but use lipstick and blush. I like a little shine sometimes.

Thank you. Have a great day.

Everything I wear is under $10 from Wal-mart:

Maybelline Superstay Silky foundation $8.93 lasts about a month but I wear alot

blush (covergirl I think) I need some new blush

Colorstay Eyeliner less than $10

Maybelline Full & Soft mascara Cheap & Great

Revlon Colorstay powder Came with my colorstay foundation

Go to makeupalley.com and read reviews too.