Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oceanmist

does flax seeds break anyone out here

lately i have been in very good spirits since my skin was improving everyday. a few days ago i got a new cyst on my cheek and its really red and hard... i didnt really care TOO much.. but just now i noticed a growing cyst on my chin. i think it may be related to the fact that ive been snacking on flax seeds lately... thats the only thing ive done differently in the past few days. nuts and seeds seems to break out me out i think... although i do use sesame oil when cooking. last time when i ate flax.. i THINK it broke me out.. but like... a million other factors could've too.

anyways... just wondering if other ppl react to flax or nuts/seeds in general? i know some ppl get these same hard bumps when they eat salmon too...

lately i have been in very good spirits since my skin was improving everyday. a few days ago i got a new cyst on my cheek and its really red and hard... i didnt really care TOO much.. but just now i noticed a growing cyst on my chin. i think it may be related to the fact that ive been snacking on flax seeds lately... thats the only thing ive done differently in the past few days. nuts and seeds seems to break out me out i think... although i do use sesame oil when cooking. last time when i ate flax.. i THINK it broke me out.. but like... a million other factors could've too.

anyways... just wondering if other ppl react to flax or nuts/seeds in general? i know some ppl get these same hard bumps when they eat salmon too...

nuts are pro inflammatory foods, that's for sure

Here's the info for flax

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20p1.html

about 10% gets converted to usable o3 (epa/dha) so keep that in consideration. It contains lots of o6's too.

Also, remember, it can only break someone out if you find yourself having an allergic reaction such as : flushing (http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/diseasemanagement/endocrinology/flushing/flushing.htm) which causes excess sebum.

Here's the info for flax

about 10% gets converted to usable o3 (epa/dha) so keep that in consideration. It contains lots of o6's too.

Also, remember, it can only break someone out if you find yourself having an allergic reaction such as : flushing (http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/diseasemanagement/endocrinology/flushing/flushing.htm) which causes excess sebum.

Here's the info for flax

hmm thanks for that

wait... nuts are anti-inflammatory....no?

well i checked the site. it said flax was very anti-inflammatory

well i dont get flushing.. but actually i had a reddish bump on my eye that looked like i got bite by a mosquito. it went away quickly tho. OH wait a minute.. i just remembered 2 days ago i got a really bad reaction on my eye... i felt like something was in my eye and itching a lot and in the mirror i saw a red, inflamed bump right on my eyelid. drove me crazy cuz i hadn't eaten any soy or egg that day (which i am supposedly allergic too)... so i thought maybe it was the sour cream i had..... BUT... come to think of it... i ate flax that day too... hmmm...

i really wanna get a ELISA blood test... but they are so damn expensive. plus i wonder if they would be of any help anyways.

oh well i'll stop eating flax and see what happens. bah, sucks.. i just ate some tonight again too!! oh well... life goes on. must keep fighting!

Or perhaps a real allergic reaction such as hives etc. Otherwise it's usually unrelated

Where are you looking for o6 having a lot more than o3 in flax? On that url it says 38grams (per 150) of o3 and only 9grams of o6, so surely that would be a good thing no ?

Where are you looking for o6 having a lot more than o3 in flax? On that url it says 38grams (per 150) of o3 and only 9grams of o6, so surely that would be a good thing no ?

Check out Hemp seeds instead of Flax a bit more costy but alot of users have raved about their skin while taking it!

The conversion of ALA into EPA may be poor but it's unfair to compare a metabolite of n3 (EPA) with the totalamount of n6. You should either compare the total amount of n3 with the total amount of n6 or the amount of EPA with the corresponding metabolite of LA (AA) by factoring in conversion of both. Its generally accepted that conversion of ALA to EPA is approximately 2-8%, but there is no data -that i can find- concerning the conversion of LA to AA. Given they both use the same enzymes and most people quote its as being "slow and rate limiting" its much fairer to assume the conversion is just as inefficient for LA to AA as it is from ALA to EPA.

Therefore the ratio between total n3:n6 or equivalent metabolites would remain the same.

This is without factoring in EPA inhibiting AA formation by competitive inhibition.

Because the conversion of ALA into EPA and especially DHA is poor (but still beneficial) Many health organisations recommend eating oily fish 2-4x a week -preferably wild salmon. But there's no reason to stop eating Flax seeds, they have a very nice ratio of n3 to n6 and you should also consider that EPA in-itself is beneficial not just as a precursor to other EFA's and less inflammatory eicosanoids. But don't think consumption of flax seeds and oily fish will cure your acne, it may improve it slightly and its good for general health but its not a cure.

The conversion of ALA into EPA may be poor but it's unfair to compare a metabolite of n3 (EPA) with the totalamount of n6. You should either compare the total amount of n3 with the total amount of n6 or the amount of EPA with the corresponding metabolite of LA (AA) by factoring in conversion of both. Its generally accepted that conversion of ALA to EPA is approximately 2-8%, but there is no data -that i can find- concerning the conversion of LA to AA. Given they both use the same enzymes and most people quote its as being "slow and rate limiting" its much fairer to assume the conversion is just as inefficient for LA to AA as it is from ALA to EPA.

Therefore the ratio between total n3:n6 or equivalent metabolites would remain the same.

This is without factoring in EPA inhibiting AA formation by competitive inhibition.

Because the conversion of ALA into EPA and especially DHA is poor (but still beneficial) Many health organisations recommend eating oily fish 2-4x a week -preferably wild salmon. But there's no reason to stop eating Flax seeds, they have a very nice ratio of n3 to n6 and you should also consider that EPA in-itself is beneficial not just as a precursor to other EFA's and less inflammatory eicosanoids. But don't think consumption of flax seeds and oily fish will cure your acne, it may improve it slightly and its good for general health but its not a cure.

Wow! that article has a lot of inaccurate statements i'm surprised considering its from Harvard. I won't go through them all just the one that pertains to our debate, the erroneous assumption that comparing the main "active" metabolite of n3 to the total amount of n6 is a fair assessment of the ratio of n3:n6 in flax seeds, this is a complete distortion of the facts. I'll explain this once then i can't be bothered anymore debates like this typically ramble on for days. So in a nut shell:

The "hormonal effects" of n3 are due to its conversion into less inflammatory eicosanoids. To get converted into eicosanoids, ALA undertakes several enzymatic processes of elongation and desaturation, the penultimate step between ALA conversion into eicosanoids is the production of EPA.

ALA (n3) gets converted into its "active" form EPA at about 2-8%

Now:

The "hormonal effects" of n6 are due to its conversion into more inflammatory eicosanoids. To get converted into eicosanoids LA (n6) undertakes several enzymatic processes of elongation and desaturation the penultimate step between LA conversion into eicosanoids is the production of AA.

The enzymes that partake in this process are the same for both n3 and n6. It's logical to assume that

LA (n6) gets converted into its "active" form (AA) at about the same percentageas ALA (n3) does 2-8%.

Now can you see why comparing EPA (active metabolite) to the totaln6 rather than the active metabolite of n6 (AA) is an unfair comparison? Only a small percentage of BOTH is converted into its "active" form, the total n6 isn't being converted into its active form just like the total n3 isn't. Therefore its only fair to compare either the active formsof BOTH or the TOTAL of BOTH, not the ACTIVE n3 to the TOTAL n6. That would be comparing 2-8% of ALA with 100% of LA. You should either compare 100% of both or 2-8% of both, which is the same thing in terms of a ratio.

You could also skew the facts the opposite way by comparing the TOTAL n3 to the ACTIVE n6 and come up with a ratio of 40 (n3) : 1 (n6). This again is erroneous, it is the mirror opposite of what you did.

As for competitive inhibition the more ALA you consume the less n6 is converted into 18:3n6 the D6D enzyme has a higher affinity for ALA than for LA. [1,2]

The ratio of n3:n6 in flax is a very helpful ratio approximately 4 (n3) : 1 (n6). Fish oil is indeed more potent at regulating the production of less inflammatory eicosanoids and especially important for DHA production but that sure as hell does not mean that either a) flax is useless or b) flax negatively effects a persons n3:n6 ratio. Flax seeds are a very beneficial, healthful food. Ironically the article you posted says just that:

"Flaxseed oil will give your diet a nice little omega-3 boost in the form of alpha-linolenic acid."

They're not a substitute for fish, but they are helpful.

Its incredibly unlikely n3 will cure acne because drugs based on the inhibition of both LOX and COX do not have any significant affect upon acne. It may help slightly.

[1] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...p;dopt=Abstract

[2] http://dissertations.ub.rug.nl/FILES/facul...m.minich/c1.pdf

Although measuring o3's and o6's are important, acne is much more complicated than a simple arithmetic problem. Some people try to calculate this and calculate that and tell you what's the solution. Meanwhile, they can't add and subtract their way out of acne.

There can be many reasons for your recent "breakout" (one of the reasons may or may not be flax). If you feel like it's helping your skin, then continue taking it. If the situation keeps getting worse, get rid of it and see how you skin reacts. Zinc works for some, while fish oil works better for others. There are many people who attribute flax seed for keeping their skin looking healthy and balanced.

Ah I see what you mean, I was wrong in the conversion aspect. I was aware of the D6D enzyme for the ALA conversion, but unaware that only that same percent would be converted from LA to AA. So that leads me to another question. Since only 2 to 8% of LA is turned into AA, what happens to the rest of the LA and how does it impact the body?

Also, do you have any links saying how it's the same percent that gets converted? Or is that a logical assumption? It's reasonable, but just to be sure.

Also, yes, there is no cure for acne, as acne is from various sources and reasons. But I am still at a disagreement that it won't help prevent acne greatly. If a person's acne is solely due excess androgen production, which leads to hyperkeratinization, and excess sebum quantity and irregular quality, then it will help almost immensely. Most of the information is in the thread, as you know. Again, I am also aware of how many various reasons there are for acne as well, but the majority of acne sufferers find this to be it.

Again, depending on the severity, I am not sure how far it does, but for me it has almost completely stopped and keeps improving daily. But again, I am also on antihistamines right now so it may be both (as I feel it may be also due to a histamine reaction) but eventually I will completely stop cycling it and see how I still fair. But before antihistamines it kept improving at a steady rate. I do know that others here can vouch for it as well, even though it's too soon and a span of 3 to 6 months are needed for an honest and complete assessment as o3 levels take that long to build.

I was wondering if you could educate me on "drugs based on the inhibition of both LOX and COX" as you say, I've never heard of them to be frank, what do they do etc?

I will reply back after we get back from a family occasion when I can sit and learn more about it too. I really appreciate the well thought and educated reply :) Thank you so much for the time as well! I also have a few specific questions which i will PM you about as they pertain to you personally.

Talk to you soon!

Check out Hemp seeds instead of Flax a bit more costy but alot of users have raved about their skin while taking it!