Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TOOKER

Question about the derm...

I know every derm isnt the same...but do derms usually get you on a second course of accutane at the first sign of your acne coming back? like 2-5 pimples? or does it have to be full blown for them to subscribe you your second course?

I would think it would have to be moderator to severe. I wouldn't prescribe Accutane just for 2-5 pimples. That's what topical medication is for.

i just got accutane today actually and ive only got a couple on my face barely noticable except the red marks and pits. but alot more on my back. I told my derm that the last week ive been clearing a bit but sure enough it'll return , and stressed that ive been going through this for like ten years and tried everything and that i wasnt interested in any more topicals and not satisfied with a "kind of clear face" from topicals when i could get a 4 year or total remission/cure with accutane.

He was very easy going and went for it, im so relieved. This was the total opposite from my last derm who was actually a total dick about it and kind of devastated me, there are good derms out there but you also have to use the right words they have to know that youve suffered alot and topicals havent eased your suffering enough.

I hope I'll be allowed a 2nd course if needed. My derm makes accutane out to be this uber dangerous scary big time drug. I know there are quite a few people on here though who seem to get a second course with pretty mild acne.

I hope I'll be allowed a 2nd course if needed. My derm makes accutane out to be this uber dangerous scary big time drug. I know there are quite a few people on here though who seem to get a second course with pretty mild acne.

his business is probably doing shitty so he needs some more fools to rely on topicals.

other wise youll clear up and he'll be out of work.

No kidding.. maybe thats why accutane is prescribed as a "last resort"... so they can make their money by having their patient try a bunch of antibiotics and topicals that they know are only a temperary fix... then in the end they will prescribe accutane I think it should be an option right away if a person wants long term results, despite the severity of their acne.

it depends, i think most derms will use a second course at the first sign of acne returning, or after a short treatment with topicals (if the topicals don't work), since you were on accutane already and know what to expect. and the doctor already knows how you react to the drug. plus it is more effective than topicals.