Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dan

Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser, I changed my mind, it rocks

I've been using the cetaphil gentle skin cleanser lately in the evening when I don't have to shave and I'm loving it. At first when I tried it it seemed sorta strange because it does not lather, but it is the gentlest cleanser I've tried and I decided to up my recommendation of it on the products page. I'm putting it much higher.

Women: this is a great cleanser to try

Men: great for evenings when you don't need lather for a shave.

Also, it's pretty darn cheap and comes in huge sizes.

-Dan

Hey Dan,

I'm hoping you'll read this since you started this post... so last night I decided to start the Regimen... I just have a trouble "section" on my face, most specifically around my mouth and chin. Anyways I bought the Purpose bar, but couldn't find 2.5% BP anywhere! Went to 2 drugstores too. Weird huh? Anyways I ended up buying BP 10% Persa Gel by Johnson and Johnson I believe.... is this going to mess up the whole idea of the the Regimen? I just wanted to have something last night so I could start the process.

yes, return that and find a 2.5% bp. Sometimes you need to try more than one place. 10% is way too much for most people.

Dan,

I find it interesting that you like this stuff. One of its main ingredients is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, an effective, inexpensive cleansing agent, but also a known irritant. When I was a young acne sufferer, Cetaphil Cleanser and Cetaphil Moisturizer seemed like a sure thing. They had a pseudo-medical vibe about them. Over the years, I have come back to them a few times, and I have concluded that they have no place in my acne regimen. I'm not sure if they contribute to breakouts, but they definitely never contributed anything in regard to helping with acne treatment. Their moisturizer left my face greasier than most others...yuck!

Neal

I'm the same, i've wanted to use the cetaphil cleanser, but for me, each time i use it, i break out, i must be sensitive to the SLS in it. As far as the moisturiser goes, to greasy. I've always wondered why a sensitive skin product like cetaphil would have SLS in it, a known irratant? But i guess it's a cheap ingrediant, and in turn keeps the retail price down!

the cetaphil gentle cleanser has SLS, yes, but at a concentration less than 1%, thus poses no irritation risks, according to 4 diff derms i've asked

ps: judging from replies.. am i the only one that looks at a cleanser for just that, cleansing? when i wash my face, all i'm looking for is a simple cleansing, not acne fighting.

I've been using the cetaphil gentle skin cleanser lately in the evening when I don't have to shave and I'm loving it.  At first when I tried it it seemed sorta strange because it does not lather, but it is the gentlest cleanser I've tried and I decided to up my recommendation of it on the products page.  I'm putting it much higher.  

Women:  this is a great cleanser to try

Men:  great for evenings when you don't need lather for a shave.

Also, it's pretty darn cheap and comes in huge sizes.

-Dan

Interesting replies guys.

Sparty, I tried that other cetaphil cleanser but is smells SO bad I couldn't keep using it.

As far as the SLS, that is intriguing. But what do you mean a "known irritant", and where is this information published?

-Dan

P.S. Sparty, which of my listed cleansers are good for makeup?

of course the gentle cetaphil can be used to remove makeup! I use it everynight as a makeup remover by putting it on my dry face, wiping it off with a cotton round, then rinsing. Works like a charm. And I wear a lot of base. It's actually the best makeup remover I've found, so I'm surprised you said that!

Dan,

I can't give you all the sites i've seen SLS listed as a irratating ingrediant, its just one of those things i've read along the way. But alot of cleansers i've looked into make it a point to mention their products are SLS free. Although one site i think that does list it is the "became an acne detective" site, not sure about the web address though, but it's just one of many i've seen along the way.

blahblahblah,

from my experiance, most derms usually say any cleansers are fine. Their more interested in giving prescriptions and getting you out. SLS is in the product, so if you have a sensitivity to it, your skin will react regardless of the concentration.

The best cleanser/soap i've ever used is the Carley's Natural Soap. I've used em all, nothing comes close!!

ps: judging from replies.. am i the only one that looks at a cleanser for just that, cleansing? when i wash my face, all i'm looking for is a simple cleansing, not acne fighting.

Here is some info on SLS/SLES. It is not the link I remember seeing, but you can still get the point. I do agree that in low concentrations, this stuff might not even be a factor for most people. I still assert that with so many other products out there that don't have this stuff in them, why take the chance?

http://www.healthy-communications.com/slsalert.html

The good thing is most products don't contain any SLS ingrediants. So for those who are sensitive to it, its easy to avoid. It would be just that much better if "sensitive" skin products didn't use it. But using cheaper cleansing agents/detergents like SLS keeps the manufacturing cost down and the profits up!

Cetaphil is a good product...and I have been using it for a long time (I have dry, sensitive and allergy prone skin - tho I am not obviously allergic to SLS) I noticed the sls in many mainstream shampoos and skin products are being switched to Ammonium Laureth Sulfate nowadays too.

Dan, my gripe is that the purpose bar is on your list. Never used it but I have noticed so many people who use it then complain about chronic dryness.

uhh.. SLS is VERY common in skin care. from C&C, to neutrogena, to purpose to even extremely expensive brands, it's found in a lot of cleansers especially.

i agree with frances. go to ANY acne board.. this one, absoluteacneinfo, clearskin.net, alt.skincare.acne, whatever.. and search for the purpose bar. i'd say 98% of people complain about it, due to it being pretty damn harsh.

Thanks, katie_s for that make-up removing idea. i just tried it and it did work really well! It never worked when I used it wet, but now I have a solution. biggrin.gif/

Frances,

I moved the purpose bar down on the list and mentioned that some people claim it is overly drying. I'm gonna keep it on the list, however, since I used it for 6 years or so with great results, because it is pretty easy to find, and because it makes really great lather for shaving.

-Dan

Dan,

There is one great facial cleanser from Neutrogena call "Extra Gentle Cleanser". I've been using this one for years. It is very similar to Cetaphil but has no SLS whatsoever. Everytime I want to change my cleanser to something else, I end up go back to this one time and time again. Trust me...I change from this one to several darn expensive cleanse but always come back to Neutrogena extra gentle cleanser.

Most of Neutrogena cleansing products are overdry and foamy, but this one has no foam AT ALL. It's great for women too because we can remove makeup with this. I apply them on my face and wipe my makeup off with damp cotton pad, then rinse my face with luke warm water. It does remove all the make up without overdry my face. Love em love em and love em.

Guy might not like it because it has no "so-call" fresh smell (no menthol, no mint....which is actually a good thing because these two ingredients can irritate our skin), and it has no foam. If you like foamy facial cleanser, this is NOT for you. But if you want cleanser that is similar to cetaphil without side effect from SLS, this is the product for you.

Cetaphil

Gentle Skin Cleanser

Ingredients:

Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Stearyl Alcohol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben

no fragrance

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar

Ingredients:

Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Tallowate, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate, Sodium Cocoate, PEG-20, Sodium Chloride, Masking Fragrance, Sodium Isethionate, Petrolatum, Sodium Isostearoyl Lactylate, Sucrose Laurate, Titanium Dioxide, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, May Also Contain Sodium Palm Kernelate

has fragrance

they have nothing in common, not even preservative.

in the above article...

"Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate appear to pose less potential hazard when in products designed for brief, discontinuous use, following which they are thoroughly rinsed from the surface of the skin. However, consumers who use these products daily and are exposed at much higher rates, thus increasing the cumulative effect of using these chemicals."

I read a couple people's posts a few months ago about how they were all positive that SLS was the reason they were breaking out. Because of this i went out and bought a cleanser that had no SLS, my skin only got worse. After switching to cetaphil liquid, which has sls in it, i was amazed at how much better my face felt right after washing. Usually after trying my face i have a mild irritated feeling and really dry and tight. I cant wait to put the moisturizer on for some relief. But even then my skin would feel slightly irritated, and just greasy or oily from the moisturizer. All that time i was confused as to what having "moist" as in not dry, skin. My skin feels great now, and even though i still apply the same amount of moisturizer, my skin feels great. I still have 2 pimples on my face, one on each cheek, and some scars from that last few weeks, but i contribute them to my previous skin abuse(its been 3 days) i'll keep everyone posted on whether i clear up from switching cleansers