Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Panda_Day

My Skin is Sick of Chemicals!

Just by my signature along you can tell I've been through the acne pharamceutical world and back. Topical antibiotics (even tried taking them orally, which was a mistake!) Retin-A, a plethora of facewashes, sunscreens and concealers to coverup the damage... I think it's made my acne even worse, not to mention dependent on this shit to just control the bacteria, not mention aid in follicle cleaning.

I'm really trying to embark on an organic 100% raw foods diet (just a lot of fruit, greens, nuts and sprouts) and I've recently spent a lot of money on an amazing acne treatment package from New York City's best holistic skincare spa, Le Cachet. I find most spas to be somewhat of a scam, but this one has really helped out a few people I know with acne and I'm hoping it will do the same for me, even if I shouldn't be spending my student loan money on something like this, I realized that cleaing up my awful skin has become a priority, if not an obsession of mine.

so what do you guys think? Is it possible that these American dermatologists, so dependent on pharmaceutical companies and not even willing to admit the relation between something as simple as diet and skinhealth, really don't even know what they're doing? I've had acne now for seven years and am just SICK of it, and have never really pursued a natural skincare regimen, always assuming it would break me out instantly....

I'm a little nervous but willing to take the plunge. If something you've been doing hasn't worked in the past, there's no reason to do it repeatedly. Fool me twice, shame on me...

Well, it may be a wise move. If you already purchased the products and have the ingredient lists - I'll do my damndest to give you the low down (the real one, no cosmetic cop involved).

As for the raw food diet, it can be very healthy - just be sure you are getting enough of everything you need - be careful with the nuts - especially peanuts, they can cause breakouts. Avoid too much soy as well, though I don't think that would mesh with a raw foods diet...

diet rich in nuts and oils ?

sounds like a path to inflammation and oily skin

many north americans have a soy allergy as well

Several oils (olive, cod liver, udo's choice, flax, etc) are anti-flammatory, and the omega-6 in nuts won't bother you at all if you don't consume vegetable oils and balance it out with omega-3 high oils. The ratio doesn't have to be 1:1, 1:4 is just as goood. Be sure to soak the nuts overnight in water before consumption, and don't eat toasted nuts. Actually, there are various of dangers associated with eating raw, unsoaked nuts; I'd do some googleling on how to prepare them. As with nuts, sprouts have some issues too.

Avoid soy ALWAYS, unless it's fermented (miso, tamari).

Is there a link to see the products u are using and does it show ingredients? i'm so sensitive that i have to be careful about what i use topically.

I recently had the same frustration with my daughter...I hated all the chemicals she was putting in and on her body and none of them really seemed to help. A friend recommended MonaVie, which is made with pure fruit, the primary one being the Acai Berry. She drinks 2-4 ounces each day and after just two weeks her skin is almost completely clear!! I've never seen anything this amazing!! She's completely off all her other prescription meds! Plus now I'm sure she's getting her full serving of fruit each day. It's worth checking out....!

Thanks for all the comments!

- SOY is not a part of the raw food diet, period - I've heard it can contribute to hormonal/thyroid problems in women, anyway. I still love my soymilk, but I'm giving it a break for a few months while I give this raw diet a try. The only thing I'm eating that isn't raw is brown Jasmine rice, which keeps me full at night after I've had the salad.

The diet may be a little low in protein, but I'm generally very healthy and not going to worry about it. On the bright side, all the leafy greens and fresh-pressed green juices I'm eating are pumping me full of iron.

As for the PRODUCTS, I started off on this natural kick Thursday when the holistic aesthetician gave me an organic glycolic acid peel using Eminence products and many, many comedonal extractions.

She also gave me a small tub of magnesium microbeads to exfoliate with every other day and a bottle of French Green Clay to put on every night for 10/15 mins to help soothe my skin. She told me to wear NO LOTION, not even SPF and absolutely no makeup, just to let my skin breathe.

The peel stung, and the extractions took an hour and a half because she went through every pore on my face to check for comedones, of which there were many (despite those prescription acne products, which have only killed the bacteria, there were still plugs all over the place! Take that, chemical crap!)

I tried to be patient (no pain, no gain) and she poked my face in a hundred place with her sterile needle and white gloves while the bright light shone in my face.

My skin was probably even more sensitive then most peoples', since as I mentioned it's been soaking up the prescriptions and preservatives for the past several years, getting immune to it. Finally, I left her office with my face a bright shade of red and little dots all over the place where her needle had poked open my pores.

The next day I woke up with my skin peeling off and crusting, and I felt so hideous I didn't even want to go to school - but I did, after washing my face with my EarthScience Clarifying Cleanser and coating it in nice, cool Aloe Vera from my refrigerator. I also used my BeautySkin blue light to kill off any p. acnes, which I am going to need even more now without my topical antibiotics.

When I came home I was so exhausted I just ate some fruit and went to bed. Just the past few days I've been so exhausted, it might be my body detoxing itself, or it might be just the stress at school. Either way, the sleep and giving my skin the chance to breathe seemed to do it good, since this morning I woke up with the most BEAUTIFUL, GLOWING SKIN I've had in years. I keep washing it gently to slough off even more of it, and lapping on Aloe Vera and a little Jojoba oil on my cheeks.

I am really excited about starting this new natural regimen, even if it requires me to be more careful than before about what I put in and on my body. I think the hardest part (the transition period) is almost over....

The aesthetician told me "this is going to be a healing week for you", and I think she's right, but I'm happy that my skin DOES look better now than before. I'll keep you posted if anything bad happens, but even so far I've seen great results!

:)

Earth Science products look very good! I've been wanting to try them for a while, but no retailers near me stock them and drugstore.com takes too long and costs too much. Let me know how you like them though!

Eminence unfortunately does not have full ingredient listing on the site, however what I do see looks pretty decent.

End all be all of course is your reaction, which sounds quite promising! Best of luck and keep us updated!