Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hi

i am trying to find out some info to learn differencesin these acids.

i know they all peel the skin, but they have other properties iam trying to figure out

1. gly. and lactic acid are water souble,which helps hydrate the skin too.

2 salcylic acid is oil souble, which doesnt hydrate the skin, does it dissolve surface oil?

3.does s. acid have any antiaging properties at 1-2% by stimulating collagen, gag,s new basal skin growth like aha's?

4. is mandelic acid water souble were it hydrates the skin or is oil soluble were it dissolves sebum, or both?

does mandelic. acid kill p.acnes bacteria?

Alright, im going to try and answer this to the best of my knowledge, what I know and have learned over the past few years.

AHA's which are glycolic, mandelic, lactic, etc. are water soluble. Basically these only exfoliate the surface of your skin. They are not able to penetrate deep into your pores, or they are very limited at doing that. Mandelic is the exception, it can get into your pores, but not very deep.

BHA's which would be Salicylic acid are oil soluble. What this means is that its easier for it to penetrate deeper into the skin, not only exfoliate the surface layers but also inside the pores. Its able to cut through the oil plugs better and get them out.

Salicylic acid as far as I know is an antiaging type of product. I dont know that it stimulates collagen or anything like that, but it does remove dead skin leaving you with bright smooth skin.

Mandelic acid does have anti-bacterial properties. But so does salicylic acid. I actually debated this and tried to figure out which one is more anti-bacterial.....many people wonder that......but from what i understand, neither is more anti-bacterial than the other. They both have minor anti-bacterial properties.

Hope this helps :) any other quations, just post them

from what i read on google. i cant find any medical sites saying s. acid kills p.acnes bactiera. while i found a few saying mandelic acid kills p.acnes bactera

does s.acid since oil sobule dissolve surface sebum?i assume that is why it is more drying than water soluble aha's?

I also googled that and couldnt find too many results. I did find some websites saying that Salicylic is anti-microbial or antiseptic, but then again also found websites disagreeing with that.

I dont know for a fact though, I asked my dermatologist and esthetician, they both told be that salicylic acid and mandelic acid are both anti-bacterial....only mildly though. The main purpose for these too is exfoliation. So if your looking for anti-bacterial, chances are you'll have to use something like benzoyl peroxide along with either one. Which is what I do.

Salicylic acid will dissolve dried sebum on the surface and the inside of the pores. If your asking whether or not its oil controlling, im pretty sure its not. Mandelic acid however on those websites says that if you have oily skin it helps control oil throughout the day for you.

And for drying, that really depends on the person. Ive used both and got dry with both. Ive used products that other people dry horribly with and they didnt bother me one bit. My best advice would be to experiment and find out what works best for you. Snow queen is very good with these things also, she probably knows more than I, so you could ask her questions if you'd like. hope that helps.

Guest j3ff86

Can SA and glycolic acid be used at the same time? Like is it ok to use a SA toner then the Neutrogena facial lotion with glycolic?

Yea, i wouldnt see why you couldnt use an AHA and a BHA at the same time. Theres a perfect example, Nuetrogena makes a product with both in. Although, you may experience some dryness. The thing is salicylic acid will exfoliate deep into pores while glycolic exfoliates the top layer of skin. But since they are both exfoliants it may increase the risk for dryness.