Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NdnRomeo

What constitutes a drug, and how is it much different than holistic approaches?

I read an article autonomous posted a while ago saying that drugs are basically derivatives from nature, just altered. A good example would be accutane (altered vitamin A). But what about other drugs like benadryl, or whatever else you find at walgreens? They often have complex names. Are they basically chemicals made in a labratory? And my question is, how does it act so fast when things from nature act much slower? For instance, holistic approaches take months to build up, but drugs usually work so fast. If they're both similar in terms of structure (are they?), then why do they act so differently in terms of acting as fast?

I guess my main question is, what constitutes a "drug" and what is constituted as a holistic (alternate medicine) approach if they are both often similar in nature (composition: example: vitamin A to accutane)?

i guess drugs are manufactured by pharmaceutical companies, but then so are most vitamins and supplements. you can't even say that drugs are not naturally occurring substances. for example isotretinoin (the active ingredient in accutane) is found in very small amounts naturally in the blood stream, even in those people who have never taken accutane. i guess it has to do with the research, with drugs there are double blind clinical studies that monitor the effectiveness of the treatment, and natural approaches these are not necessarily required. also drugs are designed to target a specific problem.

I read an article autonomous posted a while ago saying that drugs are basically derivatives from nature, just altered. A good example would be accutane (altered vitamin A). But what about other drugs like benadryl, or whatever else you find at walgreens? They often have complex names. Are they basically chemicals made in a labratory? And my question is, how does it act so fast when things from nature act much slower? For instance, holistic approaches take months to build up, but drugs usually work so fast. If they're both similar in terms of structure (are they?), then why do they act so differently in terms of acting as fast?

I guess my main question is, what constitutes a "drug" and what is constituted as a holistic (alternate medicine) approach if they are both often similar in nature (composition: example: vitamin A to accutane)?

According to the big, evil, FDA....a drug is defined as this....

"(A) articles intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease..and (B) articles (other than food) intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of man or other animals" [FD&C Act, sec. 201(g)(1)].....

So really many holistic medicines are actually drugs......but since no one applied for a NDA (this costs millions of dollars mind you)....they cannot claim that it can do any of the above....but that doesn't mean that it can't......

In my opinion the line between drug, and holistic remedy is actually very fuzzy......

For example....salicylic acid is an OTC drug in the USA. Willow bark exctract contains a whole bunch of salicylic acid....and you can use it in a way that you can actually get more salicylic acid from pure willow bark extract then you can from an OTC acne topical containing 2.0% salicylic acid......But the willow bark extract isn't considered a drug...and the person selling it can not say it acts as a kerolytic or comedolytic agent and an anti-inflammatory agent.....but it is.....they just can't say so.....

So what is a drug and what is not?

According to the big, evil, FDA....a drug is defined as this....

"(A) articles intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease..and (B) articles (other than food) intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of man or other animals" [FD&C Act, sec. 201(g)(1)].....

So really many holistic medicines are actually drugs......but since no one applied for a NDA 9this costs millions of dollars)....they cannot claim that it can do any of the above....but that doesn't mean that it can't......

In my opinion the line between drug, and holistic remedy is actually very fuzzy......

Dear Patrick,

Please, in the name of all things holy and good, go become some sort of doctor, bioengineer, or chemist so the world can benefit from your inquiring mind. If more doctors asked questions like that and searched within themselves for the answers, the world would be a better place.

Love, Cass

Dear Patrick,

Please, in the name of all things holy and good, go become some sort of doctor, bioengineer, or chemist so the world can benefit from your inquiring mind. If more doctors asked questions like that and searched within themselves for the answers, the world would be a better place.

Love, Cass

True holistic health comes from appropriate diet and lifestyle.

This is how holistic medicine differs from conventional medicine. In holistic medicine diet plays a huge role......

Let's go back to the definition of what the FDA considers a "drug"....

...articles (other than food) intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of man....