Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all,

This is just a general question really as i have started the DKR :dance: and i'm seeing how that goes first.

Have any of you had Accutane (strictly in the UK) and if so where do you find a derm and how much did you have to pay?

I don't really want to go down that path just yet as i hate hearing about the side effects and the initial breakout which would consume me until it happened! But i just wanted to know whether or not it is available in the UK.

Oh yeh......how bad does your acne have to be to get pescribed this? I have mild to moderate cystic acne (2 - 5 cysts at one time) :cry:

Any help is appreciated x

Hey, i havent personally been on accutane, but i know alot about it (from the boards and my best friend was on it until recently)

It doesnt cost anything to get as its on the NHS, however derms will usually only prescribe it to you if you have cystic acne, OR all other methods have be tried and failed (like retinoids, antibiotics, BP, azealic acid, SA ect)

Even if your derm thinks you should get it, you still may not, due to you have to be tested to make sure your body can handle it (checks on liver/kindeys and metabolism) and if something comes up in thoses tests, you wont get accutane.

ask your derm :) to get a derm in the UK, you need a referal from you GP, then in about 3 months you will get a reply from the hospital telling you you have an appointment in another 3 montsh time.

It takes a while but thats the NHS for you lol

Hey I'm in the UK and I'm at the end of my first month on accutane.

To be honest I couldn't be bothered even trying my Dr as my acne is so mild he wouldn't have given it me, despite nothing else working.

I went to a private derm, it cost me £150 for the appointment and the accutane costs me about £80 per month. My derm, Dr Lim was brilliant, I told him I'd tried everything else and that I wanted accutane and he prescribed it to me.

I had a very slight breakout nothing major. My side effects have been minimal (slight dryness, easily controlled with extra moisturiser).

I'd recommend accutane to those who have tried everything else and failed.

I've never been happier :)

Hey, i havent personally been on accutane, but i know alot about it (from the boards and my best friend was on it until recently)

It doesnt cost anything to get as its on the NHS, however derms will usually only prescribe it to you if you have cystic acne, OR all other methods have be tried and failed (like retinoids, antibiotics, BP, azealic acid, SA ect)

Even if your derm thinks you should get it, you still may not, due to you have to be tested to make sure your body can handle it (checks on liver/kindeys and metabolism) and if something comes up in thoses tests, you wont get accutane.

ask your derm :) to get a derm in the UK, you need a referal from you GP, then in about 3 months you will get a reply from the hospital telling you you have an appointment in another 3 montsh time.

It takes a while but thats the NHS for you lol

Hey I'm in the UK and I'm at the end of my first month on accutane.

To be honest I couldn't be bothered even trying my Dr as my acne is so mild he wouldn't have given it me, despite nothing else working.

I went to a private derm, it cost me £150 for the appointment and the accutane costs me about £80 per month. My derm, Dr Lim was brilliant, I told him I'd tried everything else and that I wanted accutane and he prescribed it to me.

I had a very slight breakout nothing major. My side effects have been minimal (slight dryness, easily controlled with extra moisturiser).

I'd recommend accutane to those who have tried everything else and failed.

I've never been happier :)

It depends on where you are in the country how long you wait for a derm. It took be 6 weeks in Oxford, and 3 when I was at uni in Cardiff.

Normally once you go and see your GP about your acne they will start prescribing you the usual list. Topicals, to tetracyline, minoxycline, BCP etc Then when you have tried most groups and you haven't see an effect you get a referral to a derm who can prescribe you Roaccutane. Your GP won't send you straight to a derm unless your acne is so disfiguring it will leave bas scarring etc by this i mean really really bad. The only thing a derm does different is dish out the 'tane.

Have you tried any prescription medication for your acne? You might find that some of the others work without you having to take Roaccutane which is a big plus on the side effects.

edit: bear in mind that just because you go to to a derm privatly doesn't mean they are going to give you accutane instantly they will probably want you to try other solutions first.

Argh man, I've got an appointment with my GP on the 30th May. I live in London and my sister got referred to a derm in two weeks quite a while back. I hope I don't have to wait 3-6 months! Anything more than a month is too long for me imho - i'm breaking out like crazy lol.

When you guys finally had your appointment with the derm, how long was it before you started to actually take accutane? I mean, did it take long for you to get those (liver/kidney) tests done?

In Cardiff they did the tests there and then, and I went back a week later and got Roaccutane. In Oxford my GP referred me and got the tests done on my normal appt then I got a pregnancy test at the hospital and a prescription for 'tane the same day.

In Cardiff they did the tests there and then, and I went back a week later and got Roaccutane. In Oxford my GP referred me and got the tests done on my normal appt then I got a pregnancy test at the hospital and a prescription for 'tane the same day.

Luckily for me, my mum works in outpatients in the NHS and so I was able to get an appointment with a derm when I needed (give or take a few weeks), without the 6 month wait.

I had acne covering my entire face, most cystic. It was extremely painful and all other methods had failed.

If you go private it'll probably be easier to get Roaccutane as you'd be paying for it.

I needed quite high doses (it different for each person has weight and other issues are taken into account) and I was able to have it free as it was on the NHS and was under 18 so didn't have to pay for prescriptions.

As for the side effects, I think I got every one thats listed, lol, but for me it was a tiny price to pay for the amount of good it did for my acne.

real maverick can you tell me were you went? i asking as im thinking of going private too.

I've been on three courses of the stuff, with some success. However, if you're under 21 I strongly urge you not to use it - just wait and see if you clear up with age.

It's an evil, evil medicine, and many have had their lives ruined by it's awful side effects - only go near it as a really, reall, last resort.

I started mine last week...after years of trying several different things from my gp. Only recently my GP decided i ought to visit the dermatology clinic and the hospital in which he said i would be prescribed Roaccutane. I'm only 18 however i reckon m acne is pretty severe and i had no trouble with the dermatologist in gettin Roaccutane. My tests were over within half and hour, then i walked out with 6 weeks supply of it for free which was nice, haha though my initial waiting time was around 24 weeks before i got an appointment....whihc kinda sucked a little!

But good luck to you in whatever route to intend to follow!

Btw..the side effects aren't "that" bad yet...the dry lips is a pain but for the dry skin, moisturiser gets you through the day!

I am waiting for a referral appointment to a derm on the NHS but I have finally cracked cos it is getting worse and worse everyday so I have decided today that I will go private. Does anyone know of a good derm in London where I can see someone asap?

Also someone here mentioned that roaccutain is evil with also side affects. What are they exactly?

I was £200 for my initial consultation and my derm thinks i'll be about £600 for the full course of meds