Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blank4200

Sleep... need... help...

Okay, just a little background. I barely slept at all when I was little. Little insomniac and the proof of that is my dad's best sleep was on a plane surrounded by hundreds of people in couch :shifty:

For the last week or so I haven't been able to sleep properly. Going to bed at around 10:45 last night, and not being able to go to sleep. I tried what my mother suggested to start doing like night. wind down time. I got off my PC at 10, and went and took a hot bath and after that went straight to bed. Nothing. 1am I wasn't able to sleep I turned on my TV for almost an hour, turned it off around 1/4 till 2, tried to go back to sleep... no luck. I look at my clock and it was 2:15am. and I know it was later when i finally went to sleep. Automatically this makes me have to set my alarm to go off 2hrs later (set it for 9), I think I woke up at nine, but then I was too tired to get out of bed and I woke up like 25min ago :wacko:

I need at least 8hrs of sleep to function at a proper level. If I get 9, heck, even 10 I'm fabulous. Even when I get a long sleep though I find it no to be a restful sleep.

I'm going to give the wind down time some more time to see if I just need ot get use to it, but if this time next week I still can't sleep, I'm going to talk to my mom about seeing a doctor for sleep medication. I know sleep medications aren't good if you CAN avoid them, but I was an insomniac until I was 14, and now it's coming back... if anyone has any suggestions, anyone who suffers or has suffered from insomnia like me I need some help.

They say should take you between 20-30min to fall asleep, and if you fall asleep right when your head hits the pillow you are suffering from lack of sleep.

Guest Kimmay

well what time did you go to bed on the night before you went to bed at 10:45?

Few suggestions:

1. Turn off all computers, Tv's whatever 30-60 minutes before you go to bed.

2. Exercise in the morning or during the day.

3. Take melatonin. Cheap supplement that aids in healthy sleep. Non-habit forming.

4. Make sure your room is totally dark.

5. Try binaural beats. Google it. They help a lot.

6. As dumb as it sounds, counting sheep or something similar can help settle your mind and keep it from racing.

go to bed only when ur tired no matter how little sleep you get, BUT WAKE UP SAME TIME EACH DAY.... eventually ur body will adjust to whenever you need to wake up by

drink warm milk before trying to sleep

if you cant fall asleep after 15 min in bed get up and do something until ur tired

Few suggestions:

3. Take melatonin. Cheap supplement that aids in healthy sleep. Non-habit forming.

5. Try binaural beats. Google it. They help a lot.

6. As dumb as it sounds, counting sheep or something similar can help settle your mind and keep it from racing.

If you find nothing else works for you, take a benadryl tablet.

The active ingredient is the same one used in Unisom, the sleep aid.

Unisom is used for:

Treating occasional sleeplessness and reducing difficulty falling asleep.

Unisom is an antihistamine. It works by depressing the central nervous system (brain) to produce drowsiness.

Something that helps me sleep is bedtime stories, just like being a kid. I have trouble sleeping because I am one of those people who lays in bed and thinks about all the things I have to do the next day and all the things I was supposed to do today and then I beat myself up for everything wrong I have ever done. I'm 28, so this covers more than two decades of f-ing up and can keep me awake for awhile.

I put my ipod earbuds under my pillow, turn them up so I can just hear the words and then I focus ONLY on that story. It's quiet enough so that if I do not focus I will miss something, so I must not let my thoughts wander. It takes me about 20 to 30 minutes to fall asleep depending on how tired I am.

I'm subscribed to two bedtime story podcasts (free:))

Miette's Bedtime Stories - A lovely voice reads you short stories from classic authors and modern favorites

Bedtime Stories My Kids Love - Primarily for kids, but entertaining enough for adults. Very non-threatening, cotton candy type stuff.

Hope this helps you out!

Benadryl does make me tired, but not enough to put me to sleep. When I wake up I actually feel tired still.

Unisom is used for:

Unisom is an antihistamine. It works by depressing the central nervous system (brain) to produce drowsiness.

first gen h1 antihistamines work as well for sleeping aids

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/unisom-sleepgels-...m-strength.html

Unisom Sleepgels Maximum Strength

Generic Name: Diphenhydramine (dye fen HYE dra meen)

Yeah, Benadryl is ridiculously strong. I forgot to mention that a sleeping routine is improtant. Try to go to sleep at the same time and wake up at the same (as close as possible). Benadryl may help in trying to establish this routine in the beginning. Personally, Benadryl also makes me feel goooooooood, whcih helped when I was having sleeping trouble.

Few suggestions:

Few suggestions:

I absolutely can't sleep unless it is dark lol... I have a face mask I recently got that I never used that I will start having to use since my mother studies until like 12-1am and has the darn light on. Went to turn the lights out last night and was mumbling to myself how they should know by now that I can't sleep when they have the lights on and got the, "Don't get the attitude." from my mother :rolleyes:

I exercise...

And the PC/TV, I will try to do that.

Yeah, Benadryl is ridiculously strong. I forgot to mention that a sleeping routine is improtant. Try to go to sleep at the same time and wake up at the same (as close as possible). Benadryl may help in trying to establish this routine in the beginning. Personally, Benadryl also makes me feel goooooooood, whcih helped when I was having sleeping trouble.

Ah definitely, it alleviates any mental stresses for that moment pretty well. You're right, once he can fall into a habitual routine, he will be safe but it's just getting to that groove.

axel, something else you may want to try is exercising a few hours before bed time, at a gym or anywhere you can do so, I noticed it has helped induce sleep better. It may work the opposite depending on you, but it's worth a shot

Melatonin all the way :P I was an insomniac for 6 months, tried all that over the counter stuff, unisom did nothing btw. Finally went to the doctor, they were scared to put me on a heavy sleep med. at a young age, so they suggested melatonin. This stuff takes a little while to work, but it defiantly does. Now instead of 3 hours to go to sleep it only takes 30minutes which is amazing to me ;)

That exact thing happened to me last week! Solution: Buy Badgers Enhancing Sleep Balm. I never wanted to take sleeping tablets in case in messed up my body, and i didnt want to rely on tablets to go asleep. So i went and bought Badgers Sleeping Balm. You rub it on the points where you feel your pulse (i.e. temples, wrists, back of neck), i just rub it on my wrists, and then lie in bed for about 15minutes, then im asleep. Its really good, it has a wonderful AROUMA too. Try it, dont use tablets just yet.........

Turned off my PC around 9:10 and just got ready for bed last night. Went to bed at 10 or a little before. I know I lied there for about an hour, but went to bed, and seemed to sleep well! :shock: and woke up at 5 and wasn't tired :eh::think:

Try the melatonin. It's very cheap and in addition to helping you go to sleep, it performs some antioxidant functions. There are time-release versions as well to help you stay asleep. Which is my problem. I wake up several times per night from thirst or the cats being up to something. I haven't tried the time release yet as they are higher dosage and I was told to start out with lower dosages. I take 2 1mg tablets.

Also, set the timer on the TV. I rarely have trouble falling asleep, but I still go to sleep every night with Jon Stewart. I usually fall asleep in the first commercial, but if I'm not watching TV, I might start thinking about something that will keep me awake.

Unisom is used for:

first gen h1 antihistamines work as well for sleeping aids

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/unisom-sleepgels-...m-strength.html

Unisom Sleepgels Maximum Strength

Generic Name: Diphenhydramine (dye fen HYE dra meen)

Now this melatonin sounds interesting!!! Can you get it prescribed in UK? And where do you get this badger sleeping balm? It sounds weird but cool! i'd try anything i really would. I'd do anything to sleep normal!