Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hio83

Two cysts that have almost healed?

Hello. I'm in my mid 20s and used to suffer from terrible acne (though only whiteheads and blackheads) as a teen and have a good number of scars to show for it. I used to use Benzamyacin but stopped about 4 years ago when my acne got under control.

However, I've been lurking these boards as I have two cysts on my upper cheek (right by my sideburn) that I've had for 3 weeks. They are now flat and don't hurt anymore and now appear to be just two red spots (but they're fairly large since they're the outline of the cysts). They've been like this and the same color for about a week and a half.

The skin looks pretty much smooth and not scarred/indented, but if I "press" on them lightly (which I am of course trying not to do often) I can still feel the hard pus under the flat skin. I'm imagining this is what's not making them heal at all for the past week and a half.

Is this normal, as I've never had cysts before and my whiteheads have never taken this long to heal? Would visiting a dermatologist be worth it? I imagine topicals will do nothing since the skin surface seems fine.

I'm finally finishing grad school and am about to start my first "real" job in a month and really hope these are gone by then. For some reason the marks are really bothering me a lot and are actually interfering with my daily life for some reason.

Try icing and ibuprofen/or naproxen sodium. Apply ice wrapped in a paper towel or something, placed in a plastic baggie and apply ice to the cyst three times a day. Only hold the ice to the cyst for max 5 minutes at a time. Rest your skin for a bit, then reapply for up to 15 or 20 minutes. That will reduce inflammation. The ibuprofen or naproxen sodium will also reduce inflammation.

Make sure you also have some form of exfoliation regimen. That will help prevent future breakouts because it reduces the clogged pores. Read about the baby brush method on one of the forums (do a search for baby brush). It works for me.

It wouldn't hurt to go to a dermatologist for their opinion and advice.

Good luck!

I have a very similar situation right now.. The actual cyst is gone but there is a red mark outlining it. Should we avoid using benzoyl peroxide and cleansing? Should we just leave it alone and let it heal?