Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brushie

thoughts on using Dove soap?

supposedly Dove is one of the gentlest soaps you can use. its very moiturizing too. i'm brand new to this whole regimen (im actually starting today), so what do the rest of you think about using Dove soap instead of a Purpose or Basis bar?

thanks.

personally, it never really made my skin any better, but then it didnt make it worse either! the type of soap you use in the regimen is really dependant on what your skin tolerates best, so you could try using the dove for a bit and if it doesnt work use the purpose bar.

You know what's funny? Dove advertizes that they are supposed to be really moisturzing, but for some reason, it makes my face really dry - especially on the regimen. There's a really good face wash that I love. It's called "Basis cleaner clean face wash" It's in a green 7oz (something like that) tube. It's really nice. It smells great and it doesn't dry. Anyway, do whatever works best for you and good luck!

cool. thanks guys. i also picked up a purpose bar and a basis bar (they were both like $2, so no big deal.) i'll see what happens.

Guest fatman_uk

The 'moisturising agent' in it is a wax that leaves a thin film on ur skin, clogs pores, yada yada yada...

(It sucks)

-Gaz

Do not ever use a bar of Dove soap on your face. Dove soap is for the shower. Bar soap is way too drying to wash your face with. Unless the soap is question is specially labeled for your face (like Basis, Purpose, etc), I would never use it.

Dove contains oil so I don't recommend it. You'll probably like both the purpose and basis.

Are you a guy or girl? If you are a girl and want a really gentle cleanser, the cetaphil gentle cleansing liquid is awesome.

-Dan

I used Dove before. It's lotion so it's oil. It made my skin very oily and thus, more outbreaks.

Never again... but it does make your skin softer.

Dove contains oil so I don't recommend it.  You'll probably like both the purpose and basis.  

Are you a guy or girl?  If you are a girl and want a really gentle cleanser, the cetaphil gentle cleansing liquid is awesome.

-Dan

I stopped using it recently and my skin is faaar better than it has been for the past 3 years of using Dove bar soap.

Ok, first off: Dove soap, in general, isn't really intended for use on the face; Dove soap is a bathing soap for the remainder of the body. As a guy who doesn't really want to have to put up with an itchy feeling, after taking a shower, all over my body, Dove is a great solution to that problem - at least for me.

If anyone really plans on using Dove, whatsoever, for one's face, I, personally, recommend using Dove SkinVitalizer. It's a vibrating device that you stick on little "pillows", add water to the pillows, and then allow the device to deep clean your pores. This is much better than regular hand washing your face because the vibrations, as Dove and other funky vibrating facial cleansing manufactures have said, stimulate the pores on the face to open, thus the foam from the little "pillows" or pads will easily enter the pores and clean them out. Of course, that's what THEY say... And BTW: there's no Benzoyl Peroxide nor any Salicylic Acid either (even though it may be helpful to add those ingredients with them...)

But despite all of that, for me at least it leaves my skin REALLY smooth and hydrated after use.

But that's what works for me - I don't know how your skin would react to this...