Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
theresasix

Opinons for BEST foundation for a newbie?

I'm new to this forum and was wondering if I could get your opinions on what foundation is best for acne prone, very oily skin? I don't even try brands that can be bought at Target, etc... as I have never had good results...nothing against them, but to let you know I have used...Almay, L'Oreal, Revlon, Covergirl, Max Factor, and Maybelline...whew! I have also tried Mac (no good, even the oil-free was too oily)...Clinique (terrible on my face, worst line for me personally), Shisheido (again, oil-free was too oily), and am currently using Prescriptives Oil-Free.

I am asking because although Prescriptives seems alright, it breaks me out a little bit and I notice the colors they offer aren't a great match for my skin (I am half asian so I have a lot of yellow tones). I am also having a very difficult time because I have extremely oily skin. I have been reading a few topics and have noticed alot of good reviews are going to Laura Mercier and Lancome's Tient Idole. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! smile.gif

theresasix:

what did alamay fo to your face ?? i use that now and im wondering if its causing my breakouts !!!! i only break out around my mouth and chin...i use the foundation and powder...the bottle says oil free and non codmegenic....with a silver top (is this what bottle u were using?)

tinkerbell333:

I think from what I remember with Almay...they just didn't have my color. I apologize that I can't answer your question. Is there anybody that has experience with Almay? Thanks!

Hello biggrin.gif

My skin is also very oily and at the moment im using Revlon Colourstay Stay Natural foundation (not to be confused with Revlon Colourstay cos they are VERY VERY different :-s ). It is oil-free and non pore-blocking. The reason I like it is because my skin is so oily most foundations break-up after a couple of hours and go patchy and they also change colour. This one keeps its colour and doesn't break-up. It also smooths on VERY easily which is odd for an oil-free and it gives very good coverage whilst still looking natural. I think thats everything :-k .

I was also interested in trying Laura Mercier but its so damn hard to get hold of over here that I decided it was too much trouble.

TinkerBell33- Are you using the Skin Stays Clean foundation from Almay?? It didn't break me out but it really made my skin very dry and red so I stopped using it. I think its the one with salycylic acid in it

Thanks Nessa,

I also have very, very oily skin which is one of the problems with my Prescriptives foundation. Sometimes it starts breaking up and gets splotchy towards the middle of the day too. I chose it because it was a recommendation from my dermatologist. And although it's staying power isn't great, it does a good job of letting my skin "breathe" and it's not mask-like at all. But, it's far from perfect...so...my search continues. Does anyone else have any Prescriptives, Laura Mercier, Lancome, or any other opinions...good or bad? smile.gif

So how much does L.M. cost? Which department stores carry the product? I've tried one Lancome foundation-Teint Idole. It was just too thick. My skin couldn't breathe. Sylva

Thanks Nessa,

I also have very, very oily skin which is one of the problems with my Prescriptives foundation.  Sometimes it starts breaking up and gets splotchy towards the middle of the day too.  I chose it because it was a recommendation from my dermatologist.  And although it's staying power isn't great, it does a good job of letting my skin \"breathe\" and it's not mask-like at all.  But, it's far from perfect...so...my search continues.  Does anyone else have any Prescriptives, Laura Mercier, Lancome, or any other opinions...good or bad?   smile.gif

So how much does L.M. cost?  Which department stores carry the product? I've tried one Lancome foundation-Teint Idole.  It was just too thick.  My skin couldn't breathe. Sylva

I use Laura Mercier liquid oil free foundation and it is beautiful makeup. You can use it with a damp sponge to make the coverage lighter or you can use a dry sponge for more coverage. It lasts all day without touch ups, looks very natural and doesn't feel heavy at all. So far it hasn't broken my skin out. If you go to her website (posted above), you will see the price (I think about $35 to $40). It is worth it.

I know that you said that Clinique didn't work for you but I really like the superfit line from clinique. Also, be aware that just because something says that it is oil free does not mean it is non-comedogenic which is what you should really worry about!

My favorite foundation is CoverBlend ($23ish after tax). It covers everything without the need for concealer. If you check their website, it'll tell you where you can buy it. Since it's a cosmetic counter, you'd be able to try it out before buying it. I get mine at the local BonTon department store. Oh, and despite the high coverage, it showed no tendency whatsoever to break me out (and I've had plenty of "non-comedogenic" foundations break me out extremely noticeably).

The one problem for you may be the choice of colors. Many of the colors tend towards pinkish. Bisque might work though. The lady at the cosmetic counter selling the Coverblend would be able to tell better.

My favorite setting powder is NYC Color translucent pressed powder (<$2). It's much better than the $20-$40 powders I've tried (more natural, longer lasting, better finish) despite the low price. I found out about it because of all the great reviews it had on makeupalley.com.

I've found that the foundation goes on more smoothly (it's very, very thick - not like those watered down feeling drugstore foundations) and blends more easily at the edges of the face if I use a primer first (though it's not necessary, and it looks good either way). Cat Cosmetics' primer works great at that.

user posted image

I really like Teint Idole from Lancome. I used it for awhile, strayed for a long time and then came back. I find it lasts well for me and gives good coverage. I have started using Bath and Body Works Burdock Root Matte cream as a primer and it seems to be working quite well.

I used Prescriptives 100% oil-free for ages and finally left b/c, like you said, it would tend to get spoltchy as the day wore on. I tried their Virtual Youth and thought I had found my grail, but was disappointed b/c it was too "glowy" by the end of the day.

I have tried Laura Mercier's moisturizing foundation in the past, which did not work well for me, but I am planning on giving the oil-free a whirl based on all of the glowing reviews from the gals on this site.user posted image

One of the most beautiful foundations I ever wore was Diorskin by Christian Dior. Lovely texture and coverage, but it broke me out like CRAZY!user posted image

I am a foundation junkie, always on the lookout for the next best thing so if anyone finds it please let me know. Until that day, I am happy with my Teint Idole...........to be continued........user posted image

i recently bought Max Factor HyperSmooth, and it improves the texture of your skin. It does stay well on oily skin. My skin is also sensitive and it doesn't make me break out............9/10.... O:)

I used to use Lancomes Teinte Idole and don't even know how I could be so stupid to use other brands like L'Oreal, Almay, Proactive and everything I could find for long time...struggling with colors, streaking, flaking, breakouts ](*,) ....I just bought Lancome Teinte Idole again tonigth and I am so HAPPY!!!

smile.gif It is thin, and feels so light, but still covers up all redness, bumps, and even flakiness, oiliness. I have oily skin that breaks out extremly easily, is extremly sensitive and also can get flaky and dry on spots if I treat a pimple with spot treatment. I am so happy to have the Lancome Teinte Idoleagain!!!! It maches my skin perfectly, leaves my skin feeling smooth without any oiliness. (I ran out of Proactive and tried something new..also very stupid so now I have healing acne to deal with) but the Teinte Idole covers up all blemishes without making it even look like I am wearing makeup!! AMAZING!!!!! I will never change again. biggrin.gif

Lancomes Teinte Idole is fragrance free, noncomodogenic, and oil free. Fragrance free is important for me I am allergic to anything and everything.

Good Luck with finding what you like!

I am a foundation junkie, always on the lookout for the next best thing so if anyone finds it please let me know. Until that day, I am happy with my Teint Idole...........to be continued

Since I bought Lancome Teinte Idole last nite, I used it last nite, but again put it on this morning, and all day it looked natural on my face and I did not have to make a retouch after being in church, out shopping, doing errands, and taking a nap!!! And no sign of breakouts of course! Just need to heal my dry skin on my shin that is healing from drying out pimples....then my skin will be flawless..lol...no but better! biggrin.gif/

Wow ladies...thanks for all your posts and good advice! I did get a chance to check out makeupalley.com and am really interested in a few foundations that were reviewed. **By the way, thanks Ritzvin for makeupalley's website**

Has anyone had experience with La Prarie Skin Caviar...I know...it's REALLY expensive sad.gif or MakeUp Forever Mat Velvet Oil-Free?

They both rated at 4.5 with rave reviews and also seem to be very compatible with acne-prone oily, oily, skin (like so oily that my makeup usually "slides off" within a couple of hours). By the way, for those of you who want to know...Laura Mercier was rated at 4.0 and Lancome Teinte Idole at 3.9...also with rave reviews.

Your thoughts...and as always....thank you, thank you, thank you biggrin.gif

Guest Tracy

Based on everyone's rave reviews about Lancome's Teint Idole, I purchased it a couple of days ago. OMFG!! I love this stuff!! It's only been a few days, mind you.....but I love it so far!!

I went into Robinson's May and the SA chose Bisque 0 (W) for me. It's so friggen close to my natural skin color!! I also purchased their oil absorbing pressed powder but I'm only applying it with a brush and a very light hand. I'm not sure if she picked the correct color of powder for me.....it seems a bit orangey....I may go back to see if I can find something I like just a bit more in the powder, but this foundation ROCKS!!

Does anyone else use powder over this or just the foundation alone? If so, what colors (both foundation & powder) do you guys use?? Also, it doesn't have any SPF in it, does it?? I was thinking of trying a very light layer of B101 mineral makeup over it instead of the Lancome powder....I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

Thanks for the suggestion, Misty (and others)!! biggrin.gif/