Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Opeth

After 3 Years, I've turned to Acutane

Alright,

My name is Ricky, I've had acne since about halfway through freshmen year of Highschool (Junior now) and ever since i've been kinda bummed abuot not having clear skin. I'm 16 and feel that i have no other physical flaws, however the acne makes me unable to take my shirt off infront of anyone, i feel embarassed all the time when people offer to go swimming or take me to the beach, i've had to do this countless amounts of times. I really have no problem with the acne on/around my face, it's not that bad i think, no one really cares about it, It's simply my back that bums the hell out of me every time i look at it. I have successfully been able to conceal by back acne for the longevity of it's time on my body.

About me:

I have a lot of friends that care about me, im in a band that i love, I love home recording and hanging out. I go out every weekend with my friends doing crazy stuff. I have a girlfriend of 3 months that I feel really strongly for, she knows about the drug and it's side affects, and she says she doesn't care about my acne problem or whatever side affects it will cause.

Concerns

My main concern isn't the intial breakout, isn't the dry eyes, hands, or face, it's just the fact that my lips will be sensitive, and i kind of need them for kissing haha, yeah kind of juvenile, but i don't want to freak out my girlfriend by bleeding on her and all that suck. The initial breakout kind of scares me, but whatever my friends don't really care. Another concern i have is alcohol consumption. Has anyone had problems drinking and taking accutane? I don't drink often but enough to be worried, usually 1-2 times a month.

www.myspace.com/Acousticricky personal site, some pretty acoustic stuff, and a intro to my CD

www.myspace.com/condemnedtolive New band that I started about a month ago

So the break down:

Acne problems w/ Face, Back, Chest

About to be 17 on May 30.

Started on May 9, 2007

Worried about my lips and alcohol consumption

Looking for some support/advice in this great support system on this forum.

Starting on a 80mg Dose, 40 each capsule for 2 a day

Accutane type is Sotret

Moderate acne on face and back

Im looking into buying Cetaphil soap, Aquaphor for lips, Visine lubricant for eyes, and aveeno moisturing for lotion.

I have like a 2 month supply of Proactiv, Has anyone used this while on the intial breakout to see if it helps? Or anyone use this while on the tane? I used it, and it worked a little for some trouble spots, but it's impossible to use it on your whole body.

Anyways thanks for listening and I hope you guys find this log useful.

Day 1/3

Everything seems the same, nothing is really happening. The only thing i noticed is a headache and a stomach ache for like half of day 12, but i've had chronic headaches long before Accutane. Face isn't really oily. I'll admit that i am truly scared for the next few months though.

Reading the logs on here help me alot though.

Ill be adding pictures soon, I got my before pictures, Ill add them when i see drastic changes and other things.

Hey!

I started on May 10, so I'll be comparing your experience to mine. I'll be on 40mg for the first 2 weeks, then I'll be on 80mg too.

I wouldn't drink alcohol on Accutane, I personally think it's just too risky. It may be okay to have 1 drink, but I wouldn't get drunk.

Good luck on it, I would't worry about your lips, just slap on some Aquaphor and you should be fine. ;)

Oh I see you're getting Aveeno products too, they're expensive but they work wonders. They make excellent chapstick too.

Ha, THanks for stopping by, I read your log before I started mine. Yeah, i'll probably comment alot to compare our experiences should be a lot of fun.

cheers

thanks for the encouragement

Hi Opeth, dont think about the side-effects too much and you will need something for your lips!

Good luck mate :)

Im on day 23 and I've got dry lips(i use nivea. works!) and much better skin..

Day 4:

So today I noticed my nose peeling a bit and all the areas around my active acne are peeling/making dry skin rings around it.

Back is extremely dry, flaky.

eyes and lips are fine. I Have to start studying for my AP music theory test tommorow, im not excited.

Seriously don't worry about your lips - if you use vaseline on them early on and get into a routine with it you'll barely notice any difference and when you do just up the vaseline application :)

Hi ricky,

I've been on accutane for almost 3 full months (4 more days until I start month 4), and I have a few recommendations.

1. Do not use proactiv anymore. I had to give mine away, unfortunately, but if you continue to use it your skin will turn an ungodly shade of red. (mine did, not fun)

2. Aquaphor and Dr. Dan's cortibalm will save your lips. As long as you consistently apply, there will be no bleeding or extreme dryness. if you slack off even for an hour, you will pay for it. After extreme makeout sessions, your lips will be dry, so make sure to reapply lip balm.

3. Drinking-in moderation hasn't been a problem for me. I don't get drunk, but I am a social drinker (2-3 beers or glasss of wine a week). This hasn't caused any problems.

4. With the summer coming up, be careful and apply sunscreen religiously. this has been the hardest thing for me because I naturally tan and don't burn. I've burned since being on accutane.

Good luck. I know 5 months seems like forever right now, but it goes really quickly. Before you know it you'll be done, and your skin will be gorgeous.

Good luck.

Alright,

My name is Ricky, I've had acne since about halfway through freshmen year of Highschool (Junior now) and ever since i've been kinda bummed abuot not having clear skin. I'm 16 and feel that i have no other physical flaws, however the acne makes me unable to take my shirt off infront of anyone, i feel embarassed all the time when people offer to go swimming or take me to the beach, i've had to do this countless amounts of times. I really have no problem with the acne on/around my face, it's not that bad i think, no one really cares about it, It's simply my back that bums the hell out of me every time i look at it. I have successfully been able to conceal by back acne for the longevity of it's time on my body.

About me:

I have a lot of friends that care about me, im in a band that i love, I love home recording and hanging out. I go out every weekend with my friends doing crazy stuff. I have a girlfriend of 3 months that I feel really strongly for, she knows about the drug and it's side affects, and she says she doesn't care about my acne problem or whatever side affects it will cause.

Concerns

My main concern isn't the intial breakout, isn't the dry eyes, hands, or face, it's just the fact that my lips will be sensitive, and i kind of need them for kissing haha, yeah kind of juvenile, but i don't want to freak out my girlfriend by bleeding on her and all that suck. The initial breakout kind of scares me, but whatever my friends don't really care. Another concern i have is alcohol consumption. Has anyone had problems drinking and taking accutane? I don't drink often but enough to be worried, usually 1-2 times a month.

www.myspace.com/Acousticricky personal site, some pretty acoustic stuff, and a intro to my CD

www.myspace.com/condemnedtolive New band that I started about a month ago

So the break down:

Acne problems w/ Face, Back, Chest

About to be 17 on May 30.

Started on May 9, 2007

Worried about my lips and alcohol consumption

Looking for some support/advice in this great support system on this forum.

Starting on a 80mg Dose, 40 each capsule for 2 a day

Accutane type is Sotret

Moderate acne on face and back

Im looking into buying Cetaphil soap, Aquaphor for lips, Visine lubricant for eyes, and aveeno moisturing for lotion.

I have like a 2 month supply of Proactiv, Has anyone used this while on the intial breakout to see if it helps? Or anyone use this while on the tane? I used it, and it worked a little for some trouble spots, but it's impossible to use it on your whole body.

Anyways thanks for listening and I hope you guys find this log useful.

Day 1/3

Everything seems the same, nothing is really happening. The only thing i noticed is a headache and a stomach ache for like half of day 12, but i've had chronic headaches long before Accutane. Face isn't really oily. I'll admit that i am truly scared for the next few months though.

Reading the logs on here help me alot though.

Ill be adding pictures soon, I got my before pictures, Ill add them when i see drastic changes and other things.

Thanks Alot!

Day 5

So today woke up, popped a pill then took my music theory exam, which i don't know how i did, probably not so well because my singing went terribly. But before the exam i noticed my face was really flaky, so i put on some lotion. Got band practice today, pretty siced.

Side affects:

Flaky face, Eyes are pretty dry now, nothing some lubricant didn't fix up.

completely off topic but the new Dream Theater album is fuckin amazing!

Day 6

My acne seems to have calmed down alot, my face is really dry and my lips are pretty dry too, nothing i can't handle. When i wake up my eyes are really dry. Face is pretty flaky again.

Side affects: Same shit.

Operth - The dose of 80mg is quite high to start with.

I'd suggest 2 weeks of 20mg then 40mg for 2-3 months and see how you go.. Unless ofcourse your derm has perscribed you this..

Good luck anyways

I was perscribed the 80 a day, i don't nkow why i started with 80, i weigh 148 pounds and im 5'9. is that right? ill ask next time im there,

Day 7

Same stuff, no problems, no break out.

side effects

same shit. dry 2k7

Day 8

Breaking out. The bottom parts of my nose are peeling and are flaking, really dry, i can feel the oil coming out. I just washed with my cleanser and i can feel my pores closing back up. Really wierd. I think my blackheads came out because all my pores are clear but still big. I need to shave, but my face looks like shit anyways. I'm getting these little white dots around my eye brows and my nose. Also around my jawline. No cysts yet, none that i can see/feel either way.

Side affects

breaking out, pretty bad aching back, dry lips, flaky face, and the area around the bottom parts of my nose where it meets my cheeks is reallly dry and crusty? gross.

Day 9

Skin: Looks the same, stuff isn't really changing except i notice lots more of these little white bumps... they dont really bother me too much. My Back seems to be getting worse, more black heads... thats about all...

Side Affects: Dryness everywhere my lips are killing me almost burning, face is flaking every where really god damn annoying... Ive had to put on Aveeno lke 10 times. My neosporin lip treatment works pretty well, but my 2 samples of dr. dans work a bit better, so im using those for the time being.

Other news..: my girlfriend lauren just left... great time, watched shes the one, probably one of the funniest movies ive ever seen. Kissing isn't really a problem hah, my lips certainly arent chapped after she left, theyre nice and soft. Sucks kisses dont come in little tubes lol just kidding guys...

excited to be that much closer to the end though.

All my AP exams are done thank christ, but now everyone is planning beach trips and pool parties that i have to make shiesty excuses for not going to... kinda sucks. Im not liking this whole acne thing. 3 years is far too long to have not swam in a body of water, pretty sure my bath tub is the largest water source that ive ever emersed my body in. Oh well. Soon to change.

Hi. I was on Accutane in 94 and after using it for four months my skin healed very nice. Unfortunately this year my skin has been acting weird and broke out really bad after Easter. I finally went to the derm on the 15th and she prescribed Accutane. This time around though I am better prepared for the side effects.

My rountine:

Cetaphil Cleanser

Cetaphil Facial Moisturizer with SPF 15

Night time.

Cetaphil Cleaners

Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream.

The cream is great stuff as it has high humectants in it.

For my lips I am using any chapstick.

I have two ointments for my nostrils to keep them moist.

I wear contact lenses and havent noticed dry eyes yet...mind you its only been 4 days.

Ones face does indeed turn red though only b/c your skin becomes thinner while on this drug and all the blood vessels are rising to the surface.

Goodluck

Day 10

Skin: Actually looks pretty good, nothing active, just looks dry, i shaved my cheeks last night and now im smooth. My breakout really went down fast apparently, ill expect another one soon though. Other than that, my back is completely dry but all the scars/old cysts and crap are all there healing.

Question: Does accutane help clear scars of past acne too? I have lots of them on my back it seems.

Side affects: dryness everywhere. Lips are chapped, but nothing too bad, just need dr dans stuff. Not much else to report on.

Day 11;

Skin: I must say it looks good, really clear, really dont have any scars left. Pretty clear loving it.

side affects chapped ass lips. sucks balls. dry everything. face is flaking and peeling. great.

Day 11

everything is the same.

except i woke up this morning with bleeding lips. that sucked ass. as the day progressed all the stuff clogging up the pores on my nose no lie starting coming out. that was ridiculous. but sooooo enjoyable.

Day 18

So I just got back from my bestfriends sisters wedding. Amazing wedding absolutely beautiful. AND OPEN FUCKIN BAR!!! I got obliterated. I was happy the accutane didnt affect my drinking.

Skin:

looks pretty good, i can see the texture of my skin changing it feels rougher, but theres absolutely no oil, which is good. My nose is the biggest differences as before tane, every pore on my nose was clogged with crap. now its all coming out and all the black heads i can seriously just stratch off, its gross, but i welcome this shit.

Side affects: The absolute worst chapped lips ive ever had in my entire life. I put chapstick on about every 5 minutes and i still get chapped, I woke up 4 days in a row with bleeding lips, and it hurts like shit. Oh well, means this shit is working. I've had to use more lotion on my face and my hands constantly. Lips are the biggest problem, they seriously hurt constantly and i have little scabs on them and lipskin forming, it sucks ass.

day 22

My fucking lips hurt soo hardcore. Even if i put 100 applications of chapstick on they stay chapped and hurt like hell. Nothign much i can do. My hands are so dry that the skin is ripping.

My skin has never looked better though.

I just got back from my Derm and he said that month 1 its supposed to be like this but month 2 my acne may get a little worse. Kinda sucks, but whatever. Im not worried, im out of school at least and no one will see.

I absolutely love my girlfriend though, so thats great.

Day 25

Lips aren't all that chapped. Complexion is out standing. Only a few active stuff, but nothing is really clearing on my back at all. Kind of annoying because its my back that pisses me off the most. Umm, not really all that dry. But im feeling good. Hopfully i wont hit a sever IB in my second month.

Day 28

So basically everything looked pretty fine yesterday but today like 3 new actives sprouted up, one along my hairline, one right next to my eyebrow, and one on my neck.

My back hasnt cleared at all, im still getting loads of black heads and some cysts/whiteheads on my back. Still sucks.

So this is the IB? Bring it.

on a better note all the black heads that were on my nose have vanished, now i just have big pores with nothing in them. much better imo.

It sounds like you're progressing typically on your course. Stay confident. Back acne takes longer on accutane to clear. You might not experience much of an IB on your back, but if you do, take heart that you will get better and you will have clear skin.

What lip balm are you using now? You could even try slathering on vaseline at night before you sleep.

:w00t: Here's to clear skin!

Im using a plethora of lip balms, I have regular chapstick, Caribou mint lip balm, and Neosporin extreme care lip balm which tastes like crap and is too watery to use in public.

Im trytnig to find aquaphor but cant find any. Dr. Dans i cant find anywhere too.

day 32

Skin looks pretty much the same, im getting my Ib as expected, i have 4 actives on my face but hardly noticeable 2 on my cheek and the one on my eyebrow is still there, not going down and im not picking at it, really not that big of a deal. IB on my back though, getting actives in lots of fun new places. kind of sucks but hey, its just one more summer i go telling my friends i can't go to the pool.

side note.

So today my girlfriend invited me to the pool with her. my girlfriend is captain of the swim team and shes pretty much at the pool every day. So it being the first day of break she wants me to come and when i refused she asked why. What the fuck am i supposed to say? I told her i had plans with someone else, which is fucked up because i hate lying to her. I feel like theres no way in hell im going to be able to put up doing this all the way through summer. I really do not want to reveal my darkest secret. I fucking hate it. Ill see how long i can go. Im considering telling her i have a terrible fear of water and i just don't like being near it, despite the fact that i absolutely love swimming and being in/around water. So tell me. What do i do. I honestly now in the back of my head that she could careless about the acne on my back, but i cant do it. i cant stand it. I feel i have this reputation to hold. I hang around what most people would consider the "cool" kids i guess. We are pretty much friends with everyone and we do everything, we always put on the parties plan crazy nights out and shit. Ridiculous that we live in a such a world where i would never hear the end of it if they knew.

Im getting mood swigns, my mom and girlfriend can tell. Its wierd, i don't notice, but ill go from content to being pissed off for no reason. getting really anxious and pissed lately.

Oh well

///end rant.

TODAY i had the WORST chapped lips ive ever had in my entire life. I mean wow. It was disgusting, on top of that. my nose was peeling all over the place. Is there any way i can just skip 5 months ahead.

on the better note. 1 month down, 5 to go. hell yeah.

Same as yesterday. Got invited to pool again, thank god it started to rain.

First Few

This is pretty much one month, At my Brothers Graduation from Rockville High School '07 *Im the guy with the gold pin on the jacket, and i have my hair tied back.

Second few are before tane.

So yeah, figured i'd unload all these pictures to give you guys an idea of what im facing. Ill try to put pictures of my back if i can, its much worse.

post-58177-1181695675_thumb.jpg

post-58177-1181695772_thumb.jpg

post-58177-1181695783_thumb.jpg

post-58177-1181696149_thumb.jpg

post-58177-1181695675_thumb.jpg

post-58177-1181695772_thumb.jpg

post-58177-1181695783_thumb.jpg

post-58177-1181696149_thumb.jpg