Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

jeeeze. i need some ways to exfoliate. what i've been doing doesn't work. i always get an insane amount of dry skin the next friggin' day.

what i do is wet my face, put my cleanser on, and then wipe it off. a few days ago i tried it without the cleanser and that just made my face really friggin' red. arghhh.

what do you guys do to exfoliate?

Basically, there are two ways to exfoliate - manually or chemically.

Manually: this is the use of granular products to scrub off dead skin cells.

Chemically: this is the use of acids or enzymes to loosen and/or remove dead skin cells.

My preference is to use products with AHA/BHA during the AM and PM. Then once or twice a week I use a manual scrub to remove the loosened skin cells.

After exfoliating, you should always apply a moisturizer or lotion to protect the newly revealed skin. Further, it is also advised to apply a sunscreen when going outdoors to protect this new skin.

Perhaps your face became irritated because you over scrubbed or did so too harshly. When using manual exfoliants, be sure to keep the skin well lubricated i.e. if you feel any friction on your face, apply a few drops of water so things move along more smoothly. Lastly, if your skin is sensitive, you need to be more gentle, exfoliate less frequently and not use a product containing AHA/BHA after exfoliating.

jeeeze. i need some ways to exfoliate. what i've been doing doesn't work. i always get an insane amount of dry skin the next friggin' day.

what i do is wet my face, put my cleanser on, and then wipe it off. a few days ago i tried it without the cleanser and that just made my face really friggin' red. arghhh.

use a damp washcloth while washing your face in am/pm. it gets all the dead skin cells off without using any crap that could possibly irritate your skin and cause redness/breakouts. thats what i was reccomended by..hm jordan i believe and its working great to be honest. hope that helps!

use a damp washcloth while washing your face in am/pm. it gets all the dead skin cells off without using any crap that could possibly irritate your skin and cause redness/breakouts. thats what i was reccomended by..hm jordan i believe and its working great to be honest. hope that helps!

that's what i do. i forgot to mention that i use a washcloth to wipe the cleanser off. and i use emu oil as a moisturizer. even that doesn't cover up the massive amount of dry skin i have. i guess my face is just messed up. even when i'm not on accutane, my face is constantly dry, peeling and flaking. could it be some sort of permanent problem that i'm misjudging as regular dry skin? :confused:

You don't!

Unfortunately if you are on roaccutane you shouldnt be exfoliating at all as the drug is doing this for you.

I am in my 4th month and this is increadibly frustrating but if you exfoliate you will only make your already upset skin even more sore.

The best thing to do when your skin is flakey is to moisturise! I have also found that washing your face with a muslin cloth gently removes dead skin and has been reported to help acne.