Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
black_converse

what is omega 6 and why does it matter?!

so im taking the fish oil pill and all i hear about is omega 6. Dont eat this, dont eat that, cus it has too much omega 6! but what is it, and where is it and how do i know how much is to much?! does it really matter if you have too much, its not like im gonna die right?

Summary

Medical advice to eat a low-fat high carbohydrate diet can be misleading. The aim instead should probably be for a diet that, regardless of its fat content, contains an increased amount of omega 3 fatty acids (a reduced amount of saturated fat) and to prefer carbohydrate containing foods with a low-medium glycaemic index.

More evidence is needed on the ideal n-6: n-3 ratio. Nevertheless, it is probably prudent advice to recommend an increase in the intake of foods high in omega 3 fats.

Other reads, very good:

http://www.omega3sealoil.com/Chapter3_1.html

:)

http://www.omega3sealoil.com/Chapter3_2.html

All degenerative diseases related to a lack of o3. Source isn't the best, but it's not wrong in what it says.

so im taking the fish oil pill and all i hear about is omega 6. Dont eat this, dont eat that, cus it has too much omega 6! but what is it, and where is it and how do i know how much is to much?! does it really matter if you have too much, its not like im gonna die right?

It's more about the ratio of omega 3 to omega 6's that you should be worried about. Only things really high towards omega 6 are what you should avoid. Personally I don't eat nuts, avocado, pork, eggs, and a lot of cooking oils.

It's more about the ratio of omega 3 to omega 6's that you should be worried about. Only things really high towards omega 6 are what you should avoid. Personally I don't eat nuts, avocado, pork, eggs, and a lot of cooking oils.

so basically the foods that are high in calories which are what i need to gain weight! bummer! i guess you cant have both!

so basically the foods that are high in calories which are what i need to gain weight! bummer! i guess you cant have both!

yep, enjoy your diet nightmares, i know i'm going crazy from them

rice? no

other grains? no

oats? no

nuts? no

seeds? no

EV olive oil? no

eggs? no

if nuts/seeds had a more reasonable ratio of 6:3 like 1:1 i would probably be eating a pound a

day for all the minerals and protein

instead we have to fill up on the same damn chicken and fish and vegetables full of fiber and water every meal

yep, enjoy your diet nightmares, i know i'm going crazy from them

rice? no

other grains? no

oats? no

nuts? no

seeds? no

EV olive oil? no

eggs? no

if nuts/seeds had a more reasonable ratio of 6:3 like 1:1 i would probably be eating a pound a

day for all the minerals and protein

instead we have to fill up on the same damn chicken and fish and vegetables full of fiber and water every meal

what if i never paid attention to the omega 6 and i ate everything that you listed, what would happen? will i atleast have some what good skin?

your inflammation and oil production will increase a lot and for me at least those two factors

causes 99%+ of my bumps

excess of omega 6 causes inflammation problems throughout the body

your inflammation and oil production will increase a lot and for me at least those two factors

causes 99%+ of my bumps

how do i fugure out ratios? and where does it say the amount of omega 6 on food products?

causes 99%+ of my bumps

how do i fugure out ratios? and where does it say the amount of omega 6 on food products?

Check out: nutritiondata.com And enter your food item, and find it. In the ingredient list at the bottom it will tell you o3 and o6. Usually, if you eat a low o6 diet, you will get 2 to 3 grams of o6 a day.

the problem is that omega 6 is in almost everything to at least a quantity of a few hundred milligrams in many whole foods (not processed) except for fruits and most veggies

unlike omega 3 which is present in excess in very few foods, nuts and seeds have a fair bit of it as well but then hit you with 3-4x as much omega 6 as well

the problem is that omega 6 is in almost everything to at least a quantity of a few hundred milligrams in many whole foods (not processed) except for fruits and most veggies

unlike omega 3 which is present in excess in very few foods, nuts and seeds have a fair bit of it as well but then hit you with 3-4x as much omega 6 as well

is it ok to just take a regular omega 3,6 and 9 supplement ...or are there some particular ones i should be using?

thanks!

the last thing you want is supplemental omega 6 unless you are some strict vegan

stick with fish oil/cod liver oil

causes 99%+ of my bumps

Check out: nutritiondata.com And enter your food item, and find it. In the ingredient list at the bottom it will tell you o3 and o6. Usually, if you eat a low o6 diet, you will get 2 to 3 grams of o6 a day.

but is that bad? can i just be on the paleo diet, and take the fish oil pills and not have to worry about omega 6? i dont think i can look up every single thing i eat just to see the amount omega 6! it just seems crazy and really stressful! and what do you all mean by inflammation problems? should only the people that are taking the fish pills watch out for the amount of omega 6 or everyone!? i dont know about you but all i wanna do is eat a juicy grilled onions burger and not have to worry about this and that! dont yall agree?

burger? unless the meat is chicken you are ingesting a lot of saturated fat and omega 6 there

a paleo diet with fish oil pills should be fine as long as the meat is chicken or fish and you cut out nuts/seeds/oils

instead of eating a burger take the veggies from the burger and the meat, add more veggies and some herbs for seasoning

for those who can eat burgers and stay clear i say good for you but it doesn't mean that the rest of your body enjoys it

causes 99%+ of my bumps

but is that bad? can i just be on the paleo diet, and take the fish oil pills and not have to worry about omega 6? i dont think i can look up every single thing i eat just to see the amount omega 6! it just seems crazy and really stressful! and what do you all mean by inflammation problems? should only the people that are taking the fish pills watch out for the amount of omega 6 or everyone!? i dont know about you but all i wanna do is eat a juicy grilled onions burger and not have to worry about this and that! dont yall agree?

As long as you avoid egg yolks, vegetable oils, nuts, you should be fine with everything else. Of course you don't have to measure it, but if you get to a point and time and wonder why you aren't seeing results, you may want to then, to see how much o6 o3 you are getting. I figure, what's the point in spending so much time blindly taking supps if you have no idea what the effect is? You can do a general calculation of how much you get so you will kind of have an idea how much o3 excess you are getting daily to map your progress.

Because of course... worst case scenario: if you get in 6 grams o6 daily, and only take 2 to 3 grams o3, you will probably never get the desired results for months or never get them at all.

Best case scenario: if you take in an excess of 2 grams of o3 daily, and only get in 2 grams of o6, you will get results in weeks.

See what I mean?

So generally, if you avoid the high 06 foods listed, then the rest should generally fall in place naturally :). As long as you also eat whole foods most of the time, and enjoy yourself now and then. Just be disciplined, you'll go far.

burger? unless the meat is chicken you are ingesting a lot of saturated fat and omega 6 there

a paleo diet with fish oil pills should be fine as long as the meat is chicken or fish and you cut out nuts/seeds/oils

okay but will i be alright if i ate wheats still? what if there 100%whole wheat?

whole wheat is still a starch and in the end it will be converted to glucose

acne sufferers should eat like diabetics, so try and cut down carb sources to veggies/legumes/fruits

most days my only source ingestion of grains is a few cups of oats in the morning with whey powder because i don't have time to prepare more complex meals for breakfast

it may seem weird that supposedly the primary source of body's energy (carbs) actually turn out to make it the most sluggish and unpredictable in terms of energy

even the healthiest most fibrous grains are still grains, and should be kept to a minimum or eliminated if you have the time and money

whole wheat is still a starch and in the end it will be converted to glucose

acne sufferers should eat like diabetics, so try and cut down carb sources to veggies/legumes/fruits

most days my only source ingestion of grains is a few cups of oats in the morning with whey powder because i don't have time to prepare more complex meals for breakfast

it may seem weird that supposedly the primary source of body's energy (carbs) actually turn out to make it the most sluggish and unpredictable in terms of energy

even the healthiest most fibrous grains are still grains, and should be kept to a minimum or eliminated if you have the time and money

but see the thing is im trying to gain weight! and chicken and fish arent exactly cheap. and being in school, i dont have alot of money. im sure its possible to gain weight while on the paleo diet but im going to have to buy so many chickens and fish, which= exspensive food=broke!i wanna feel good about my self through my skin but also through my weight and body image. u know what i mean? can i not have both?

i understand your frustration, i am in the same situation

i have dropped from 190 lbs back in january to 175-180 now because i have significantly cut out lots of carb sources

most veggies and fruits are mostly fiber and vitamins/minerals and water in terms of mass which obviously will not fuel your body well and it is inconvenient to be preparing fish/chicken for EVERY meal of the day (even breakfast) because you can't touch nuts/seeds/oils/eggs/etc.

trust me i WANT to eat brown rice or more oats or some multigrain bread or some whole wheat noodles but i know it will screw up my insulin response even more causing more skin problems

as you said many people on the paleo diet said they have lost weight initially simply because they are consuming a lot more veggies/fruits and both those food groups are 80%+ moisture and water itself is not going to give you weight

you are at a similar point to where i am now, i want better insulin sensitivity (quicker body response to all carb sources), more protein (i have done lifting every day for 6 years now) and less inflammation without 1) blowing tons of money 2) blowing even more money on tons of supplements 3) preparing elaborate expensive meals 4) gaining some weight back (i was happy at 185-190)

i have heard others on this board tell me "fill yourself up on fats and protein" but the problem is 1) i consume something with decent saturated fat --> chest pains 2) nuts/seeds have an insane omega 6:3 ratio 3) good quality meat/fish (not even organic) is just too damn expensive unless you know how to cook decently AND you have a decent job

i understand your frustration, i am in the same situation

i have dropped from 190 lbs back in january to 175-180 now because i have significantly cut out lots of carb sources

most veggies and fruits are mostly fiber and vitamins/minerals and water in terms of mass which obviously will not fuel your body well and it is inconvenient to be preparing fish/chicken for EVERY meal of the day (even breakfast) because you can't touch nuts/seeds/oils/eggs/etc.

trust me i WANT to eat brown rice or more oats or some multigrain bread or some whole wheat noodles but i know it will screw up my insulin response even more causing more skin problems

as you said many people on the paleo diet said they have lost weight initially simply because they are consuming a lot more veggies/fruits and both those food groups are 80%+ moisture and water itself is not going to give you weight

you are at a similar point to where i am now, i want better insulin sensitivity (quicker body response to all carb sources), more protein (i have done lifting every day for 6 years now) and less inflammation without 1) blowing tons of money 2) blowing even more money on tons of supplements 3) preparing elaborate expensive meals 4) gaining some weight back (i was happy at 185-190)

i have heard others on this board tell me "fill yourself up on fats and protein" but the problem is 1) i consume something with decent saturated fat --> chest pains 2) nuts/seeds have an insane omega 6:3 ratio 3) good quality meat/fish (not even organic) is just too damn expensive unless you know how to cook decently AND you have a decent job

well then should i not take the fish oil capsulles if im going to be eating wheats and all that? do i really have to choose?

take the fish oil pills no matter what unless you eat fatty fish every day

as i said omega 6 are present in almost everything except most fruits and veggies while omega 3 is in excess in very few whole foods

the last thing you want is supplemental omega 6 unless you are some strict vegan

stick with fish oil/cod liver oil

so supplemental omega 3,6 and 9 is bad for you?

why do you want supplemental 6? i just said it exists in decent quantity in tons of whole foods

as for 9 i don't know anything about it