Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've tried so many different regimens, antibiotics, accutane, cleansers up the wazoo (they keep stockpiling in my medicine cabinet), topicals etc. you've all heard it before. Though nothing but Accutane has worked for me (acne came back after 2 months of stopping however) I continue to have hope and perseverance to find my cure and hopefully help others along the way to find theirs.

My most recent SUPPLEMENT experiements:

Colon Cleanz: capsule form, Walmart, took for 6 days, i'm supposed to go back on after a week so i'll prolly start this again soon. didn't really notice any changes good or bad while on it for 1st week

Milk Thistle: designed to help the liver, not sure if it was coincidence or not but kept getting little zits while on this, maybe it was pushing things to the surface. however i haven't taken it for a few days and zits are still appearing so i'm going to say NOT HELPFUL for me

ACV: well i thought this did nothing for me while drinking it 2x a day 2-4tbsp. for 1 month

then i found out it doesn't work well when taking with fish oil so i'm going to give it another go and take it 4 hrs. apart from fish oil. i'll prolly drink it before bed.

Fish Oil: i've been taking this for 1 month. noticing much MUCH improvement in skin. i'm talking healthier, plumper, and glowing. i've been gradually increasing my intake. up to 3.5grams of EPA/DHA right now. my pills are extra strength so i only have to take 8 a day to achieve that versus some people having to cram like 12 pills in. still am breaking out but have recently learned 2 things about this stuff:

-don't take with fat-burning supplements like Green Tea Extract or ACV (i wait 4 hrs)

-takes anywhere from 3-6 months to really build up in your system so don't expect instant results

Green Tea Extract: honestly i don't know if this is helping me skin wise at all. it balances out my hormones, putting me in a good mood and very relaxed state though which is sweet. only problem is i'm down to 1 pill a day since i can't take it with fish oil. i just don't have enough hours in a day to space it out to take more so ah well.

B5: i think overdosing on this is NOT smart so i'm at a very safe intake right now of 1.5g. i feel that it helps with keeping my oil production down. however, since the weather is getting warmer, 1.5g is not really doing the trick anymore. i might double my intake if i can afford buying all these supplements.

Evening Primrose Oil: supposed to work well in conjunction with fish oil but i can't say for sure if the addition of it has helped at all. i'm taking 3 pills a day since 5/3. still looking into research for support of GLAs. lotta people recommend borage oil over epo. i'm going to use my bottle up and then switch to that probably.

and lastly i take a few vitamin supplements which i have learned do not get me clear but keep me functioning healthy:

-Multi Energy vitamin

-B-complex vitamin

-calcium

so these are my experiments with the supplements. next post i'll talk about my topical experiments incl. cleansers, moisturizers, and zit fighting medications. STAY TUNED hahhaha...yea i know i'm cheesy sorry :wub:

So here's the latest on my cleansers i've tried. I've tried so many over the years, i could probably pin the topic on them. i can't even remember them all. honestly i'm tired of wasting $$ on these and i might just drop them entirely and use Dove bar soap. i've heard some good things from others here about that.

Aveeno Positively Radiant cleanser: tried my sister's bottle 1 night and i swear it evened out my complexion the next day. so went out and got my own. i've been using it for about 1 week now. well my skin is still bumpy and sorta rough near my chin and jawline and forehead. looked at ingredients and realized (i'm so stupid) that sodium lauryl sulfate is like the 2nd ingredient. i believe this is one of the BAD chemicals for your skin. so prolly going to stop this one

Oil of Olay Foaming Cleanser for Sensitive Skin: i know i used this many years ago, can't remember my thoughts on it. stole my sister's bottle again and tried it last night after getting pissed off about the above cleanser. i swear my bottom right jawline felt smoother after using it but obviously 1 use is not nearly enough time to give a review on it. i'll keep you guys posted.

J & J Head to Toe Baby Wash: not your typical cleanser but once again i read some good reviews about it here and wanted to go au naturelle so i got some. i only use it in the mornings because i don't feel like my face is all that dirty/greasy at that time. so it's gentle and does NOT leave residue which i LOVE. but i don't know if it's been beneficial for my skin. i still have the stupid flesh-colored bumps and rough patches.

....on a different note, i am trying out this method of chewing your food more slowly to aid in digestion

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Are-you-c...ns-t153188.html

so next topic will be MOISTURIZERS I've tried :dance:

Had to insert a note here before i do my moisturizer reviews:

I stopped all supplements except for:

-fish oil

-multi vitamin

-b complex

and added zinc (50mg). I remember Dan had some good success with fish oil & zinc together when he did his Paleo diet log and i think it was more attributed to those supplements than to the diet itself. the multi and b complex i just take for health reasons, not really skin reasons.

also, i'm going to stop using BP spot treatment for a few days (quit un-voluntary btw, i left all my skin care products at a relative's house and they live 3 hrs. away) so i'm temporarily trying apple cider vinegar as spot treatment.

I'm really glad I stopped using BP. I HATE that redness, blotchiness, and cakey crap left on my face. I've been using acv for the past week & a half as a spot treatment, somtimes 2x a day and sometimes 1x a day. it seems to be supressing any surface blemishes i have and i havent really broken out in a couple of days at all ! YAY.

This is my current and COMPLETE Regimen:

diet: eat mostly fruit, veggies, lean chicken, beef, & turkey, limited carbs incl. wheat bread, nuts, sunflower seeds, lots of h20

supplements: multivitamin, b-complex, fish oil (3.9g), zinc

cleanser: experimenting with J & J Head to Toe Baby Wash, Aveeno Positively Radiant Cleanser, & Lever 2000 facial soap

spot treatment: acv with cotton ball applied 1-2x a day

moisturizer: Dove Deep Moisture Facial lotion w/ spf 15

exfoliant: baby brush method 1-2x a week

Trying to keep things simple and hopefully will come up with a cleanser solution soon. Aveeno seems to be the best so far but i can't use it every day as it tends to leave behind some light residue

Keep feeling like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle which is why I'm not completely cured. Fish oil has definitely helped subside acne and I'll be at the 2 month mark this tuesday. But I started to wonder today if malabsorption of nutrients could be an issue as well? If I have malabsorption problems, I could be taking all the right things but not reaping the benefits due to that very reason.

From what I've read malabsorption can be occuring if you're very skinny (I am) and if you have to eat often because you burn up food fast (I do). I'm sure there are other symptoms which i'll try to do some research on as well.

I'm barely using any moisturizer right now which is why i've halted my review on them for the moment. I might try Cetaphil out but i don't think they make one with spf am I correct? that's whats most important to me right now in a moisturizer.

Sounds good man, I've been taking Vitamin E with Fish Oil and Zinc, I think Vitamin E helps a lot with clearing scars (like fish oil).

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the tip. I might add vitamin e back to my supplement regimen. I tried it awhile back with some other vitamins but not with the fish oil & zinc. It would be nice to get rid of scars for sure but i'm still having trouble just keeping breakouts down. I've been monitoring my food very closely the past few days and so far i've noticed:

-strawberries make my face red

-sugar has an effect on my skin ...i think

I ate half a cinnamon donut and drank a lemonade coolata from (Dunkin donuts) yesterday and got a pimple on the chin today. haven't had any big ones like this in awhile so i'm pretty certain its the sugar.

I started using baby powder (aka talcum powder) as my "moisturizer". it helps keep my face softer but i have to be very gentle about rubbing it into my skin without irritating it. was just sick of stupid moisturizers aka Dove Deep Facial Moisturizing Lotion causing redness/blotchiness and i swear it either did nothing for my bumpy skin or it helped cause it. either way it was ticking me off and i'm done with liquid moisturizers for the time being. except when i need to go out in the sun, i'll put it on only for spf purposes.

my newest experiment is taking MSM. i took 1 gram last night and my skin was unbeliveably soft this morning, i almost fainted. before i start swearing by it though (it was my only my 2nd day taking it yesterday) i'm going to give it a thorough trial of 1-2 months. i'm prolly going to take 1.5g a day in addition to fish oil & zinc which i feel i can safely say those 2 alone cannot cure my acne. been on fish oil 2 months today! very VERY helpful but cannot cure me by itself unfortunately.

Just moved out of state from Virginia to Texas 2 days ago so I've been a bit too busy to update.

I dropped my zinc because it kept making me feel like i was going to hurl (and i always took i with food). So my supplements are:

-multi vitamin

-niacin (in place of B-complex which I ran out of)

-fish oil (about 3.5g)

-msm (1.3g)

I dropped the baby brush method for now because it kept making me break out no matter how gentle i was or how infrequent i did it. And i'm using Aveeno Positively Radiant cleanser and acv on a cotton ball as a toner (PM only) and that's it for topicals! Simple but so far effective routine. I don't know if its the water down here in Texas or what but my skin is looking clearer than it did last week when I was still in Virginia. Here's to hoping it continues to improve :dance:

Was reading up on moojamba's post about drinking acv 4 tsp. a day and doing nothing else besides the dip and it cleared him up. I really want to try the acv part of that but since it burns up the fish oil i'd have to stop taking the fish oil. my skin is looking better since starting the fish oil but it's getting really costly to keep buying it. acv would be a much cheaper alternative but i'm afraid it might not work. i have tried drinking it before but i was taking a bunch of other supplements at the time so i really don't know the effectiveness it had for me.

anyone else have thoughts on just drinking acv? also anyone know where to buy organic acv in the U.S.?

Decided to just concentrate on the fish oil for now. I'm also still taking msm which helps make my skin smoother but the problem is i'm still breaking out in tiny bumps all over so instead of smooth skin i still got bumps :(

I've started washing my face with water only like 3x a day (in addition to washing with cleanser in AM and PM). I got the idea from Guacomolly's post. Makes my skin feel cleaner and certainly no irritation that i've noticed. we'll see if any positive changes come out of this after a few weeks. it's only been about 4 days.

Ok so i changed my mind AGAIN (go figure). I'm easing off of fish oil for 2 weeks or so and i'm going to try drinking acv, 4 tbsp. a day. today was my 2nd day. i'm also taking msm between 500mg-1000mg a day. and that's it. i really want to see if acv works, i've got nothing to lose, moojamba claims it worked for him in 2 weeks, and honestly i am getting REALLY discouraged at my skin breakouts that persist no matter what. my chin/jawline acne is getting worse by the day. all i can think of is that its hormones, perhaps acv will help. if not, digestive enzymes are my next experiment as i've read the enzymes can help to get your hormones back on track.

I stopped taking accutane because it came back and obviously you can't stay on it forever. plus the side effects were ridiculous: cold sores, canker sores, painful & dry nose, nosebleeds, i couldn't lay on my back the entire time cause it does something to your spine, and also endured some horrendous breakouts during it.

Something that's working for me kind of right now is rinsing my face with water only 2-4 times a day in addition to washing my face with cleanser in the AM & PM. it's really making my skin smooth out and helps the dead skin fall off.

I'm on my 5th day of drinking acv and i'm impressed :D All of my active zits have come to heads or flattened out and are shrinking and i have no new zits. I'm only taking 870mg of fish oil a day now (mostly cause i'm jobless at the moment and need to save $.

Keep that report going ...

Nice Job !

Now that's what I call self-determination.

Haha thanks Phaser! It's kind of fun to keep trying out new things but it certainly gets hard on the pocket and the frustration is something i could deal without. ;)

Update: nothing changed really in the regimen, on my 10th day of acv now i believe. i'm experiencing some minor breakouts on my temples and around my jawline. i'm going to try do some research on acv to find out if it can help balance out hormones at all. i know that's the cause of my acne and i've already tried birth control (made it worse actually) so i'm looking for a more natural way now.

*Exciting moment for me: i found a job yesterday! i'm going to be working for Enterprise Rent-A-Car. long hours but pay is good as well as benefits :)

I'm kind of thinking acv is not going to work for me. it's my 12th day and i was experiencing a lot of mini breakouts in places i don't usually break out. i've also realized maybe it's because i dropped my fish oil consumption down to so little (about 1g versus my old dosage of 3.8g)

SO I'm upping the fish oil to about 2g a day for now. maybe i'll get back up to what i was before, not sure.

I'm going to try avoiding wheat & gluten for a few days b/c i'm really curious to see if i have a sensitivity to that. And apparently if you do, gluten blocks the absorption of fats (fish oil) and vitamins. so this could be why results are so slow.

And remember, if you do block gluten, do it for at least a week or two, because once you do start absorbing your vitamins and fats (if it is the case), then it takes a while to be out of deficit. I honestly want to give up every day but if I turn back, I will never know =(

ARGH! it's too HARD to do the gluten-free diet. I only lasted about 9 hours. i caved in at dinnertime and had some wheat pasta. ah screw this, i'd rather eat and be happy and have kind of crappy skin than starve myself (i'm too thin already!). btw, absolutely no change in skin but 9 hours is not really enough time to tell haha.

i've been reading up on an herbal supplement called Maca root. it's a vegetable and it's supposedly a natural hormone balancer (kind of like black cohosh w/o the side effects) i'm going to pick up some at wal-mart tomorrow. please let this be the last supplement i have to experiment with...

also i stopped drinking acv for now. my problem has got to be hormonal, i'm 98% sure plus i'm going by what my derm told me 8 years ago (yea he could be wrong but everything seems to be pointing to hormones aka chin & jawline acne)

So I had no luck finding Maca Root at Walmart or at GNC. I DID find Bragg's Organic ACV at GNC though so i picked up a bottle of that and am continuing to drink acv at 2 tbsp. daily.

I bumped up my fish oil again to 3.6g starting today. my skin is looking rather crappy and i think the fish oil gave it that glow that has been missing the past 2 weeks (since i cut back).

so my FOCUS at the moment is:

Drinking ACV: 2tbsp. a day

Fish Oil: 3.6g (might bump it up to 3.9g, not sure yet)

topical-wise: i'm still using Aveeno cleanser for am & pm. i tried using my Dove Deep Moisture Facial lotion today (i'm worried about not having spf protection) and it made my face feel all greasy. i hate that feeling of stuff sitting on your face, especially when you have bumps everywhere and it makes them itch :rolleyes:

if anyone can recommend a good, light-weight moisturizer w/ spf please let me know!

Guess I should have given an update on my skin. Sorry guys :doh:

I've got a couple of tiny whiteheads between my eyebrows (whiteheads characteristic of drinking acv for some reason) and a couple by my jawline. Other than that i'm suffering mostly from hard bumps along jawline and chin and small red bumps dotted along lower cheeks/jawline/chin. what's weird is from far away i look clear but as you get closer i have all those red bumps and mess along my jaw. and my skin looks overall tired & dull.

Alrighty,

So i'm still taking 3.6g of fish oil (after dropping it to 1g prior for about 2 weeks) and my skin is starting to glow again. the dullness is going away yay! and it's only been 4 days since i upped it.

its been 6 days since i've started drinking the organic acv and i don't really have any comments skin-wise about this yet since it has not been long at all. i DO have the comment that it makes me have really great energy! so i've stopped taking it before bed and now drink my acv in the morning or around lunch. it makes me feel really cleaned out too which is nice.

my lower right side of my face is going crazy. i have like 4 cysts along my jawline and several red bumps scattered about (nothing really above mid-cheek area though) it's very itchy too at the moment :mad: i'm going to attribute part of these breakouts to my sleeping habits. i've been having trouble sleeping lately and a couple of times i have woken up with that side of my face on my pillow so i'm trying to make more concious effort to sleep on my back. it's hard though when you do it in your sleep :doh:

My skin is not getting any better :(

I have a big whitehead on the other side of my face now (the left side which was the almost clear side except for redmarks)

Plus the dozens of redbumps and couple of cysts along the right jawline are not really healing. Its been 1 week on the organic acv. I certainly hope it kicks in soon. i'm giving it a month's trial and then if no-go, i'm trying either dong-quai or vitex.

I start a new job next week--i certainly hope my skin improves. i'm so sick of being embarassed by my looks and insecurity over this skin crap. 12 years of this nonsense. i will find a cure DARNIT!! :clap:

Ok i tried something new yesterday and my pimples seem to be drying up today so i thought i'd go ahead and post it.

When i first started drinking acv i would drink it once usually in the evening. well after reading up a lot on the health benefits of spreading it throughout the day i decided to split my times drinking it. so yesterday i drank 1 tbsp. with breakfast and 1 tbsp. before i went to bed. and today all of my blemishes have come to heads (whiteheads) or are going down. nothing miraculous of course but i thought i should at least mention it. going to keep going with this routine and see where it leads me. btw, i'm taking my fish oil 2x a day at lunch and dinner. i wait 3-4 hrs. after dinner before drinking acv.

also a cool thing i found was that when i drank the acv in a glass of cranberry juice it stifled the taste a lot more and it was actually somewhat enjoyable to drink!

Ok my skin is on the yo-yo effect i swear. I have 4 new cysts along my right jawline, 2 small ones by my temple, and one cyst on my left cheek.

the ones on my jawline are soooo painful!!! i want to stick it out with the acv. i don't think that this is what's causing my breakouts. honestly i have no idea what it is. i'm considering dropping dairy entirely for 2 weeks to see if i notice a correlation. i have stopped drinking milk for a month and a half before and didn't notice much improvement though.

i already have an option on the back burner though if acv is a no-go after a month. do you guys do that too? have like something in mind to try next if your current regimen isn't clearing you up? i feel like i obsess about all these things to try b/c i have so little faith in something clearing me up (and somewhat rightly so given the fact that i have tried sooo many things).