Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okie, I'm new here.. I'll just briefly introduce myself and then get to the point.. okie dokes, I'm a 15 yr old cursed with bad skin.. Stupid genetics.. I was prescribed Tetrinoine.. (okay i know i spelt that wrong for sure) 2 years ago and it was off/on because once i stopped using it b/c my skin was clear.. but then they came back. of course. and recently i stopped using it because i feel it doesn't help me anymore.. so i strayed off and ordered proactiv.. i thoguht the stuffs not that bad.. (i was scared taht i was allergic to BP though because Neutro. on-the-spot stuff i'm allergic to) It healed acne and prevented it. but really, it did nothing for my big problem.. the old marks. (I totally blame neturogena ultra sheer sunblock.. it totaly broke me out and damn, it's been 6 months and i still suffer from the marks it left me with..gah)

So i've been researching treatments for hyperpigmentation online.. and a lot of people seem to have gotten results with different ..uhh techniques? haha bad choice of word i think. so far this is what i've learned that has worked for people:

bleaching agents (hydroquinone)

Alpha hydroxide

aloe vera

mederma

oil of olay regenerist serum

and frankly.. i don't want to try them all. haha so i've decided to ask you guys. =D i think i want to try aloe vera next...? the bleaching agents on the bottom of my list.. (i heard hydroquinone causes cancer? but hell what doesn't latly?) but yeah.. so what's helped u people?

-just read this post over.. and i sound retarded and so unflow-y.. but it's 3 in the morning. so bear with me.

There is a new laser for hyperpigmentation called relume laser,surf net to find out about it.

bulldog - what hydroquinone product did u use? was it OTC or prescrption?

sam - hmm thanks for mentioning that.. haha my mom would flip if i said i wanted laser done. "it'll heal in time blah blha" haha ya know.

i use proactiv's hydroquinone 2% skin lightening lotion

i am slowly ridding of this big blotch of redness on the side of my face

this thing works really well

however ppl tell me that it is dangerous if i use it too long

My Aesthetician told me to check out

TRILUMA, its a cream made by Galderma who also make Differin. Supposed to be the latest and greatest so far for melasma/hyper pigmentation. I was told and read somewhere that it has shown the best results so far for the above conditions

http://www.triluma.com/index.cfm

It has 4 % Hydroquinone

fluocinolone acetonide 0.01%, hydroquinone 4%, tretinoin 0.05%

Also check this article from the American Academy of Dermatologists about hyper-pigmentation and melasma.

Theyy mention a dermatologist DR Susan Taylor, who is regarded as an expert on hyper-pigmentation and ACNE scars, Melasma and Ethnic skin

http://www.aad.org/PressReleases/skinofcolor.html

Check her profile and web sit, she has very impressive qualifications and has appeared on many popular T.V. shows

http://www.aad.org/DermSP/DermSearch/profi...php?prof_id=957

PS TRILUMA is supposed to be only used for 8 weeks

hmm.. u know what. since i dont have a dermatologist (only a family doctor who keeps giving me tetrononie (sp?) evne though i say it doesn't help..) i'm not even sure if this IS hypopigmentation ne more.. guh. it's the last stage of healing right? when it gets flat and red? iono but i decided to post a picture so you can help me identify it.. (okie so i know none of u are doctors.. i think? but i'm sure u can help me anyways) i'm so embarassed to post it.. ugh. such ugly skin... sad.gif

user posted image r. cheek

user posted image l. cheek

eck.

so. hyperpigmentation right?

and is it me or do i look fat? haha

The Hyper-pigmentation I am thniking off is not what i see in your Pictures.

I really don't know what to call your pictures other than ACNE pimples.......I know this doen't help sad.gif

How long have you had these red marks?

If they are recent, maybee they will eventually heal.

Your skin just has red dots. i think hyper-pigmentation is more of an area effect and overall darking of affected areas.

You really got to go to a Demartologist.

Finding a good Dermatologist is the tough part. Don't put it off and just see a doctor like I did for many years. If I had gone to A Derm from the beginning then I wouldn't be in this spot I am in.

Types of acne scars  

First, some good news about the healing process. As an acne blemish heals, the inflamed area flattens, leaving behind a reddish spot. Though it may look like a scar, it’s actually a macule  the final stage of an acne lesion. Macules may last for up to six months, but leave no permanent scar.  

The same holds true for post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, a darkening of the skin at the site of a healing acne lesion. Most prevalent in African-American, Asian and Latino populations, these spots can last up to 18 months  but may disappear more quickly if you stay out of the sun. Both macules and post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation are considered \"pseudo-scarring\" because they eventually disappear completely.

The Relume laser is for HYPOpigmented lesions not for HYPERpigmented ones. I know it gets confusing.

Anyway, im/perfection - I have every confidence your red marks will go away on their own. Can you just cover them with make-up? A greenish concealer would probably work really well.

My best!

Anna

i wouldn't worry im/perfction i had the same thing on my shoulders and it faded in like 4-6months

oh really? u think it'll fade? hmm. u sound like my parents.

lol i do use makeup.. this girl's best friend.

lol okie thanks.. i'll wait a bit till i really start freaking out. biggrin.gif

i tried so many things: mandelic acid, pure deming serum, glycolic peel, retin A.

And the best is retin A 0.1%. It made me flaky but i saw a major improvement in 2 weeks. I think if u use it with HQ the results are going to be even better.