Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gnomie

at my wits' end -- Hello, spiro!

This morning my roommate asked if I wanted to run errands with her. I joked "let me spackle my face and I'll be right with you" but when I looked in the mirror, I knew I couldn't leave the house. My skin looks like a f*ing joke. After being on the pill for 10 years, I have been on spiro for almost seven months and it's NOT WORKING. My skin is like an oil slick and I wake up with new zits every morning, not to mention the insane blackheads and whiteheads. Spiro not working leads me to believe that my acne is NOT hormonally induced. So what, I just have the worst comedonal acne ever (and now the freaking big hairy cysts are coming back too)? Am I just supposed to live with this forever?? I'm 27 years old. I'm sick of guys that I date passing rude remarks about my skin. And yesterday I I cannot believe how bad it's gotten, it's spreading to my neck and my back and shoulders are full of blackheads that don't seem to pop. I've been using Paula's Choice BHA gel and it did make things better, but marginally-- I don't get the sense that it's going to heal me. I need to be HEALED.

Grr. Sorry for the rant. I just think that this has been happening since I was 13 and at this point, I've ruined the balance of my skin by using too many products, too many medications, and living in too much fear about the whole thing. Has anyone had a good experience just stopping everything? :boohoo:

Here is what I would recommend. If you haven't tried it already, go for accutane, but I assume that if you are on spiro than you have probably already tried it. You can consider upping your dosage of spiro, it could be too low. If your acne isn't caused by hormones, it could be a food allergy. Try cutting out dairy and gluten for 3 weeks. Those seem to be the 2 biggest causes of food related acne. 3 weeks should be enough time to see if this diet is helping or not.