Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ive recently got color stay by revlon, and I did notice that it did become shint eventually. I am not really good with powder, so I'd like to know more about it. For instance do I definitely need a powder for using it? Or is there something else I can use so that it doesnt become all shiny, because one thing I hate is shiny make-uped skin!

Please help me! This stuff has pretty good coverage, and I'd like to keep using it, but how do you tone it down a notch?

I tried the Colorstay concealer and it kept breaking me out. I haven't tried the Colorstay foundation. Anyway, I found a product called Orchid Gel by Skinn Cosmetics http://www.skinncosmetics.com/st_orchid_gel_detail.php

The Orchid Gel mattes the skin and keeps my skin matte and almost (not 100%) oil-free all day long and it doesn't break me out. The instructions also say you can reapply the gel during the day to maintain your matte appearance, but I haven't tried to do it....after all, how do you reapply without disturbing your makeup application?

Advice: you need to experiment to see how much gel you really need - don't over apply. Start with a thin application (after moisturizer and just before your makeup) and use more next time, if required.

I tried the Colorstay concealer and it kept breaking me out. I haven't tried the Colorstay foundation. Anyway, I found a product called Orchid Gel by Skinn Cosmetics http://www.skinncosmetics.com/st_orchid_gel_detail.php

The Orchid Gel mattes the skin and keeps my skin matte and almost (not 100%) oil-free all day long and it doesn't break me out. The instructions also say you can reapply the gel during the day to maintain your matte appearance, but I haven't tried to do it....after all, how do you reapply without disturbing your makeup application?

Advice: you need to experiment to see how much gel you really need - don't over apply. Start with a thin application (after moisturizer and just before your makeup) and use more next time, if required.

I use Revlon colorstay, and I have to use powder or my makeup rubs off easily, any my face gets shiny. My favorite powder of all time is L'Oreal Transluscide- if you try it, get transluscent and not a tinted one because they are not as natural.

Linda! without the gel, my face would get shiny about 3 hours after cleansing. About 5 to 6 hours, there would be actual visible pools of oil on my nose and the forehead is shiny enough to reflect light. In fact, if I dab my skin with a paper towel, it becomes transparent.

The Orchid Gel does have a fragrance (somewhat like a sweet candy smell). The major ingredients are silicones, but it is also moisturizing too as it contains safflower seed oil and other natural extracts. It acts like a primer, but all other silicone primers that I've tried made me very oily. Aloette use to have a primer called Flawless that worked vey well, but it was very expenseive and I think it's discontinued. (Althouth Flawless worked well at oil control, unfortunately the oils and the silicone kept seperating and no amount of shaking could mix the ingredients together.) In my opinion, the Orchid Gel is the next best thing to the Flawless. In fact, with the Orchid Gel, only my nose needs a very slight dabbing with a tissue once in the late afternoon.

Hints:

To start, you smooth a thin film of the gel evenly onto the face. Don't massage it into the skin like a moisturizer. It is also purplish in color which the maker claims to counter some (not all) redness in the skin.

You may find that you can cut back on your regular moisturizer when using the Orchid Gel because it has moisturizing qualities, too. In fact, the directions say you can substitute the Orchid Gel for your moisturizer if you have oily skin. Personally I use the Proactiv lotion, which dries the skin, so I follow it with a very thin film of either Nutrius cream or L'Acrima's AM or PM cream followed by the Orchid Gel.

Good luck.

By the way, another recommendation is Compact Anti Shine by Smashbox. It looks like a powder, but unlike other powders which deposit more powdder onto the face with each application, you use the sponge to pick up the powder, which you dab onto oily areas to absorb excess oils and it doesn't disturbe your initial makeup application.

The product works quite well, but you may have to use it several times a day to stay perfectly matte. As mentioned in my previous posting, I now use Skinn Cosmetics Orchid Gel. I apply it in the morning and forget about it all day long.

Thanks so much Heartless! I'm definately going to purchase this. Do you buy yours offline or can you buy it in stores? I have no problem buying it offline, but I'm wondering if any of my local stores would carry it just so I could get it sooner? I live in Omaha, Nebraska.

NEWSFLASH: Aloette has just brought back its Flawless product...they just shipped it in today. They have reformulated it so there's no ingredient separation and now it's yellow in color which really helps to counter any redness in the skin. It has azelaic and salicylic acids to clear the skin and light difusers to distract from imperfections and silicone to fill in enlarged pores and some minor scars. It will be coming soon to the U.S. (at www.aloette.com). The product has just been relaunched in Canada and I bought 3 jars. This time around they didn't mention whether it still has its oil control properties...I hope the formulation is as good as the previous version.

Linda, I buy 99% of my skin care products online. I just find that the products sold in stores (even the high end lines) don't have the innovative ingredients or the efficacy as those I buy online. Also I watch the shopping channel just to hear the product representatives explain their items and the actions and purpose of their ingredients etc....information is power and I just can't get enough :)

UPDATE: Aloette Flawless will be in the U.S. in 2 weeks or so.