Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spoofy

An infrequent problem of a Behemoth Zit :(

Hello, I am 23 and every few months I seem to develop a really hardpimple.

It starts small and unnoticable (but I can feel it stretching the skin), over the next couple of days it changes into a very apparent red color (looking like a flashlight), it enlarges a bit, but the biggest problem is how it pulls the skin around it, causing it to be very apparent - the whole area literally sticks out because of this.

After it reaches the peak it really slowly diminishes (couple of weeks from start), but leaves a desaturated spot (which I don't mind) for a couple of month.

Now, because I can feel this zit coming way before it evolves fully (usually 2-3 days before), I wonder if I can do anything to reduce it's severe effects, up to today I've just been feeling helpless and cancel all my social life for the following weeks.

And yes - I am totally clueless about handling zits, and never managed to do anything to improve a condition of one.

I'm not planning to do the daily regimen, but I do want to know how to properly handle these severe infrequent outbreaks for the next time :

1. What kind of acne is it ? or is it just a harder case of poorly treated acne vulgraris ?

2. Did anyone have a samiliar experience, and actually found a way to reduce it's severe effects.

3. I hope this is just a case of lack of acne treatment knowledge on my part, and will try to apply the basics (wash hands/face, clean with soap, rinse, let it dry, apply something like BP or AHA), but would BP really be of any help here if I'd only apply when this outbreak is about to occur ?

Thanks for reading so far, and I hope to hear from people with samiliar experiences ...

Have you tried using any kind of spot treatment? If I feel like I'm getting a zit I usually put some of the proactiv refining mask on the spot overnight. The sulfur dries it up and a lot of times it's gone in the morning. I've heard of some people using benzoyl peroxide to spot treat, but I've never really had success with that.

If you don't want to do a whole regimen you may want to wash your face and then just apply a small amount benzoyl peroxide on your whole face. I've never really been able to stick to Dan's regimen because it takes a long time and feels like I have a lot of stuff on my face. A lot of people have had success with it though. Are you using any kind of face wash now? Even though it's annoying, my experience has taught me that it's a lot easier to treat breakouts before they start :)

Gentle regular exfoliation will help. Apply a small amount of topical treatment to the whole face, do a bit of research on which ones you might like. Everyone is different and reacts differently to treatments.

Try out this exercise:

http://www.acne.org/advice.php

Oh well I'll try to use BP and proactiv refining mask on the next breakout.

I know there's no magic cure for this, but hopefully someone will stumble here knowing how to reduce the severe stretching of this kind of acne before it developes fully ...

Try applying ice to it when you first feel it developing. Ice it twice a day for 3-4 min each time. Should help reduce the size and inflamation.

Try applying ice to it when you first feel it developing. Ice it twice a day for 3-4 min each time. Should help reduce the size and inflamation.

Ahhh, cool - seen that suggested around and gotta try it next time !

By the way - I assume I shouldn't apply the ice directly, but rather use a compress (cotton cloth), right ?