Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's been 7 weeks since I had an Nlite treatment. I'm incredibly clear and for 3 weeks i've experienced clearness (which started at week 4) and I felt a sudden euphoria over me. After that week, it was over. You know, it's like this problem has caused deep, ingrained emotional damage that even if I clear up, my thought processes simply substitute it for something else for me to focus on. If my acne is gone, it focuses on my scars-if that was gone, focuses on my physique-and so on. I notice many people on the boards say that their life would be so much different if they were clear. To tell you the truth, I feel that many ppl's lives wouldn't go from mr. anti-social to mr. crazy funny jock social guy. You need to think of it more as climbing up steps- which consists of about 10 to reach the top. If your acne clears you climb one step and not 10. There are 9 other issues you need to tackle which extend far beyond your physical appearance, but rather your emotional psyche. The first five steps usually consisting of physical and materialistic issues. The last 5 consisting of the demons you fight inside on a daily basis which not many in this world will ever accomplish. Yeah, you might get rid of your acne, reduce your scars to a reasonable amount but avoiding to fight the emotional damage it has caused is almost as if you never got rid of the acne to begin with.

I've considered therapy and going on Paxil (To help with my social anxiety that acne has caused) to help the process along. Getting rid of the acne is only one battle, but many more enemies await.

-Caesar

just remember that that no one is perfect.

heres how i dealt with my social anxiety problems.

i think of one flaw about me (acne) , but then i looked at other ppl and i find one flaw about the other people ( bad breath) ( air head) (slut)

etc.

then when i put it all together everyone has one flaw and so do i

so we are in the same club.

And dont forget, hardly anyone has perfect skin. If you really pay attention people often have atleast 2 or 3 scars (some acne scars). And has SCAR said, everyone has flaws.

That is how i think too.I always thought the way i am/behave was always related to acne/scars, but as i got older i realized acne is only a fraction of it.But definitely, small steps smile.gif .I am just trying to live happily with whatever i have available, looking at all the positives that i possess.That is true, no one is perfect and no one has a perfect life no matter what they may appear to have or the way they look.All i need now is a girlfriend, and that is something that my acne/scars does not let me have sad.gif . Life is hard but is definitely fun biggrin.gif

3dpimple

just remember that that no one is perfect.

heres how i dealt with my social anxiety problems.

i think of one flaw about me (acne) , but then i looked at other ppl and i find one flaw about the other people ( bad breath) ( air head) (slut)

etc.  

then when i put it all together everyone has one flaw and so do i

so we are in the same club.

I take a really, very unfashionable view of things. I'm not as touchy feely as the current pc standard. I know...I should be ashamed 8-[ biggrin.gif

We use acne as a symbol onto which we project all our troubles. I think the pecularities of acne aside that everyone does this to some extent though maybe the focus is past abuse, dyslexia, upbringing you name it. Whatever our symbol - it is our saftey net but also our ball and chain...perhaps it alleviates our human anxiety over why life doesn't feel perfect even though we are told that only perfection and perfect happiness will do.

I think the happiness conspiracy conceals the truth...really none of us are perfect, the lives we lead are always different than our expectations, and there is a big price for having a human brain and consciousness which is - continual doubt and unease.

When I have interior struggles I turn to philosophy as others turn to religion. So maybe Paxil or therapy could be the way to go for you.

I reckon realising that we allow acne to become a hold all for all our other anxieties is actually a really important step for changing how you feel about yourself. In the short term, it is kinda disappointing too of course, because it would be simpler to continue to think that acne is the single barrier to our "perfect" life. But the less it becomes about acne the more we can be empowered to make real changes.

I just have to laugh at your quote about the special olympics... not exactly politically correct but i appreciate it lol

see for me, well... i know exactly what u r talkin about the social anxiety business coz sometimes I get that pretty bad, but usually only if I know there's some huge pimple on my face (much like tonight!) coz when my face is clear, I will talk to just about anyone.

I think however many problems people have to deal with once their face is clear really depends on the rest of their life rather than the fact that they once had acne. I'm sure it has something to do with when you started getting acne - for example if you were young, 13 maybe and had acne all through high school, you probably shyed away from people ya know. whereas if you didn't really have a problem with it when u were growing up you have probably dealt with other problems or can see them as separate.

I try to talk about acne to my friends now though. Instead of pretending there is nothing wrong with my face, which I used to do to be more social made me less nervous, i'll just make comments like I would about anything else. like girls and our "i'm having a fat day". i refer to my acne as my "skin issues" and make light of the subject. Not that I feel that it is not a big problem - it consumes me every time I look at pictures of myself, go out somewhere, look in the mirror - but if you act like your acne isn't a big deal to you, people generally realise that too. In my opinion i would rather have people know i know than talk about it.

Basically b/c look at how many people have acne. And it is such an embarrassing horrible thing for them. I know what that is like, feeling that way. When really acne is SO COMMON especially for teenagers... why should it be such a hush hush try to hide your face thing. everyone is beautiful really acne or no. You know what I'm sayin?

Maybe thats just me but thats what i really worry about when i am out somewhere espcially with new peopel, is that they will make comments that I am the girl with the bad skin ya know... maybe i'm just crazy coz my friends say i notice b/c it's me and other people wouldn't...

I am babbling here so I will shut up

I just am looking forward to having clear skin so I can go back to being me, not worried bout whether i'm gonna poke someone's eye out with a huge zit. hehe.

I truely belive its the emotional affects of ance thats worse than the acne.

Getting the acne in first place is obv what affects emotinal state.

But rather than just fightening the acne i think alot of people should work on the feelings about it just as much.

Ive come to realise this thro taking a proper look at myself one day, yer my skin wernt clear anymore but id changed.

Everyone still saw me as me(yer maybe wiv acne added) But what they really noticed was ME changing.. not so bubbly, Outgoing etcc

(i started to become withdrawn). ... due to self esteam.

When i did eventually open up about how i REALLY felt, The response i had was unbeliveable. My friends sayin they had noticed changes in respects of confidence... and how sometimes i would be making excuses not to come out.

But didnt understand how much it really did affect me. What can i say...

I got good front.

But id came to a point where i realised this and wernt putting up with anxietys etcc ,and i didnt like the change in me.

Im now on ro-accutane. At the moment my skin is looking worse than it ever has, but thats doing its job :roll: ....

N im doing mine "Building self esteam" back smile.gif (And yes its bloody hard)

Soz for babbling but i think this is an important issue with acne.

ohh and one last thing... You kno when people say things like "Everyone thinks your pritty and your great to be around, people look past it"..

(And your like whatever your just tryin to make me feel better :roll: )

That sayin couldnt be truer.. Shine thro yourslef regardless of acne... otherwise No .... People aint interested in gloomy people who aint fun to be around. Are they?

I dont like that sort of company ...so why should i expect people im around to.

*Im not sure if ive worded everything right..But i hope people get the jist of what im saying, Im not ignorant *

Shine thro yourslef regardless of acne... otherwise No .... People aint interested in gloomy people who aint fun to be around. Are they?

I dont like that sort of company ...so why should i expect people im around to.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

I have quite a few episodes of feeling a bit down and stuff, everybody is guilty of that.

Aside from trying to do smoothbeam and stuff- I know that weightlifting and exercise lift my spirit and improve my moods.

Also I told my friend about this- complaining about life is different than being gloomy. Being gloomy is like "I'm gonna die, nothing is good, etc...". I gave him lots of 'tough love' and the truth about what I think of his way of thinking (he agreed and appreciated it too). As 'bitchy' as I am sometimes on this board about stuff, I do have a pretty good and positive outlook on life.

Stepping down from my soap box...

For me having acne would have been no different than having big ears or having curly hair if people didn't constanly say negative things to me. It was as if having acne was like wearing a sign around my neck that said "Feel free to insult me. I have no feelings". When you are constantly ridiculed and insulted because of the way you look, you begin to believe that you are less of a person. If you feel like less of a person, you will act like less of a person. And the more you act like a door mat, the more people will wipe their feet on you.

It really becomes an internal struggle when you know intellectually that you are smart, full of life, attractive, innovative and fun to be with. But people keep telling you you are an ugly, pimply, disgusting, revolting, undesirable, mess. How do you reconcile what you know you are with what people say your are? If you are a strong person with lots of people to support you, you will continue to believe in yourself. But if you are a sensitive, weak person with no one to believe in you but yourself, living becomes a struggle.

Unfortunately I was one of the weak people without support of friends, parents or siblings. I sometimes have flashbacks of the rude comments that have been made to me and it still hurts even after all these years. I truely wonder how a beautiful person that had perfect skin who was told day after day that they were ugly would feel about themselves. Would they be successful, would they have a good social life, or would they struggle every day just to fit in and feel accepted?

I think that I have always believed that eventually my true person would emerge and everyone would see me for who I am and like me, but I'm finally beginning to realize that this is as good as it gets so I better quit whining and make the most of it.

For some odd reason whining is so much easier for me.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

So sorry to hear your experience notmyfault.

My experiences lately have thought me to at least keep reminding myself that there are all sorts of insecurities deep inside each and everyone. That's the pep talk I'm giving myself all the time. Doesn't cure my own insecurities 100%, but makes it much easier and easier in warding off the negative thoughts, although I think I'm a pretty positive person to begin with.

It is not a very helpful observation...but sometimes I wonder about the social environments that some acne sufferers have to deal with. I've felt self conscious about my skin but I have NEVER been taunted about it by a stranger. (I don't think this is anything to do with me personally...but I think it is a lot to do with the culture I'm part of and the friends I choose.) But when I hear about places/situations where it is socially acceptable to tease people about acne...I think it must be more acceptable to tease people generally about weight, culture, sexuality whatever. Anyway I think it is shit sad.gif and I say y'all should come on down and hang out in NZ. biggrin.gif

good thread.. sometimes its impossible to not think about acne though

like last night for example i saw my ex girlfriend from highschool who i h avent seen since graduation a year ago and even though ive thought about her almost every day for the past year and how id like to get back with her (im in love #-o ) i got out of the conversation last night ASAP because i hated her seeing my face now.. even though my acne isnt horrible she had to be thinking about it to herself. If i didn't have acne I would have asked her out or something because taht was probably my once chance to get her back. Needless to say im pretty depressed today.

good thread.. sometimes its impossible to not think about acne though

like last night for example i saw my ex girlfriend from highschool who i h avent seen since graduation  a year ago and even though ive thought about her almost every day for the past year and how id like to get back with her (im in love  #-o ) i got out of the conversation last night ASAP because i hated her seeing my face now.. even though my acne isnt horrible she had to be thinking about it to herself.  If i didn't have acne I would have asked her out or something because taht was probably my once chance to get her back.  Needless to say im pretty depressed today.

me 2 man

acne sucks

i don't have pimples,, but scars and brown marks are just as bad